Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8. Coffee

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • 9. Tea

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 10. Water

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters
To be really brief, these studies mostly address correlation, and not causation.

Yes, I know. Which is why I said "correlated"…

One could also say that the link between sodas and bad health arises because the set of people that drink lots of soda are also likely to have unhealthy lifestyles in general, and that almost certainly does play into the figures to some degree. But, at a certain point, strong correlation across a range studies becomes very persuasive of a causal link. Many things in the realm of health are determined by correlation, before the causal mechanisms are fully understood. Smoking, for example. In many cases, the mechanisms of causation are not well-understood, but the correlation makes the case overwhelmingly probable.

Your alternative explanation, though not impossible, is arbitrary. That, and the claim that the top ten causes of mortality are sugar-related, should be taken not with sugar, but a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
Ice tea most often or mineral water.

As for soft drinks… I drink them occasionally. I don't personally drink any diet versions. Artificial sweetners are just worse. I noticed that those diet versions just upset my stomache. So I rather drink the real thing. Ofcourse excessively those aren't good on your health, but so isn't beer or wine either.

Soft drinks I'm pretty strict with, myself. The only one I drink is Fresca, which I indulge in once or twice a week. If I go out for supper and they don't have that soft drink available, I'll opt for water or unsweetened ice tea.

Wait - unsweet tea in Florida!? I thought the only form of tea that was legal in the deep south was sweet tea! ;)

Yes, I know. Which is why I said "correlated"…

One could also say that the link between sodas and bad health arises because the set of people that drink lots of soda are also likely to have unhealthy lifestyles in general, and that almost certainly does play into the figures to some degree. But, at a certain point, strong correlation across a range studies becomes very persuasive of a causal link.

At least we can agree soda in general isn't healthy?

At least we can agree soda in general isn't healthy?

Yes, I think that's safe to say. Plenty of things that are unhealthy, of course, that we enjoy and so do a risk/reward calculation. A soda now and again probably won't do much harm, but if I were guzzling it every day, I'd be thinking seriously about making some changes.

Yes, I think that's safe to say. Plenty of things that are unhealthy, of course, that we enjoy and so do a risk/reward calculation. A soda now and again probably won't do much harm, but if I were guzzling it every day, I'd be thinking seriously about making some changes.

Also, chocolate milk!

Well, I have no clue about stats on milkshakes in particular, but, without knowing what exactly goes into a McDonalds-style thick shake, I'd take a blind bet on it not doing you any favours! :p

I have to go the unsweetened tea route, just for my health's sake. The copious amounts of sugar that I've had dumped into my tea beggars belief, when you can smell the sweetness before you actually place any in your mouth is just wrong. A quarter teaspoon will perfectly sweeten my pint.

When I consider drinking Iced Tea, I prefer the Long Island variety!! :)

Well, I have no clue about stats on milkshakes in particular, but, without knowing what exactly goes into a McDonalds-style thick shake, I'd take a blind bet on it not doing you any favours! :p

I don't think it's even milk. Many years ago, I spilled a strawberry milkshake on some concrete steps. Despite the rainy weather, the concrete was stained pink for a couple weeks, then the stain turned black and endured for months after that.

Regular Coke, slightly diluted in a glass full of crushed ice. Dr Pepper is also acceptable, as an occasional change of pace.

coffee,water,juice

I drink pretty much everything - but I'm probably more of a beer man than most other things.

Pepsi sometimes, but more often it's water so I'll go with that.

Plenty of things that are unhealthy, of course, that we enjoy and so do a risk/reward calculation.

Or just do like I do and forget the risk and enjoy yourself. Everyone is going to die, might as well have fun while you live. I'd like to see things on gravestones that say "she didn't drink Coke", or "she was vegan and tried her best". Seriously, discard risk and fear of death and life is way more fun.

Or just do like I do and forget the risk and enjoy yourself. Everyone is going to die, might as well have fun while you live. I'd like to see things on gravestones that say "she didn't drink Coke", or "she was vegan and tried her best". Seriously, discard risk and fear of death and life is way more fun.

Being healthy generally means a better life, discarding fear of death sounds like a really bad idea.. my mom was a smoker for some 20 years, it ruined most of her life (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). But of course, drinking coke once a week or something won't ruin you.

Tea is nice sometimes, i try to not drink it too much since it contains both aluminum and flouride in rather high concentrations.

It will sound like a bad idea if you're afraid of death. Everyone dies so enjoy yourself. I'm not going to tiptoe my life away hoping to stay 100% healthy when there's just too many factors to keep track of that you couldn't live entirely healthy unless you were completely insane and boiled your tap water in kettles that don't have certain metals in them, etc.. Who wants to live that way? I'll be over here enjoying my sugar and smokes. If I die young then so be it. You can say I did it my way. :party:

I've no interest in telling anyone how to live their life, I just think it's good to get the information straight so they can make their decisions. All I would say, is that I've met an awful lot of people who weren't quite so sanguine once the consequences of their lifestyle caught up with them. It often doesn't involve passing quietly in one's sleep a bit earlier than one might otherwise, but rather hanging around for many years, not having very much fun.

Smoking is the one that causes me to want to get on a soap box. I just hate it when I see a young person smoking these days. A girl who I recently made her acquaintence has so much going for her - she is beautiful as in stunning, and also charismatic in terms of her personality. You might say she is a rare breed - an "alpha female". 26 years old. But yea, she smokes.

When I brought it up, she cut me short, and said she doesn't want to hear it. Basically, she said anyone who wants to know her or be in her company has to understand that is a taboo topic to bring up, of sorts.

She knows smoking is bad, obviously, but either doesn't care or is hooked and can't help herself. (she also "dabs" pot, its a new trend among the youth, and I'm not happy about that either)

It's just such a shame, because smokers can greatly improve their health just by quitting smoking.

Back
Top Bottom