Elder Scrolls VI - Still in Design Phase

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gamingbolt reveals that The Elder Scrolls VI is still in the design phase according to Todd Howard.

"It's good to think of The Elder Scrolls 6 as still being in a design [phase]... but we're checking the tech: 'Is this going to handle the things we want to do in that game?' Every game will have some new suites of technology so Elder Scrolls 6 will have some additions on to Creation Engine 2 that that game is going to require." This seems to imply that the game could end up having some graphical features not seen in Starfield. But again, it's safe to assume that it's still several years off from release.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Oh is this another thread were we write what we wish Todd would change in his next game. If so it's pointless as everyone knows what the Bethesda formula is at this point.

Anyway I predict another 20+ million sold when it releases.:lol:

On a side note there is some talk about another game in development beside Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI. Just industry rumors so take it with a grain of salt.

On a side note there is some talk about another game in development beside Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI. Just industry rumors so take it with a grain of salt.

If they have another game concurrently in development it's probably a battle royale or something. Nothing to see here.

Correction it's Bethesda Austin and they made Fallout 76. So probably another MMO or online game. In that case not my cup of tea and the news is from may this year.

Last edited:
Correction it's Bethesda Austin and they made Fallout 76. So probably another MMO or online game. In that case not my cup of tea and the news is from may this year.
Austin makes Elder Scrolls VI? That's not good news for this game :( Todd did say it was SP though, or at least that it had a SP campaign, IIRC.

With Starfield in parallel and possibly yet another game, maybe that's the only way they can manage it. And I'd (selfishly) rather have ES6 made there than Starfield.

EDIT: right, it's ES6, not ES4, slip of the keyboard… But wow, perhaps it's getting a bit stale, isn't it?

In the meantime, Starfield is slated to release on November 11th 2022 for Xbox Series X/S and PC. Howard has spoken about the exclusivity of the title, both apologizing to those who are unhappy about it while promising that it will make for a better title. Stay tuned for more details in the meantime.
Nothing to apologize for, it's actually a good decision :biggrin:

Crazy, I know they have made and are working on other games but how many companies would after 10 years still be in the design phase of a game that sold over 20 million copies?

Get the story solid first, then worry about characters, graphics, and any audio necessary. Story first, always, I feel like I keep saying this for every single Bethesda release, perhaps this will be the one that they get correct.

I don’t care what they do with the story. I have well over 500 hours in Skyrim and haven’t ever completed the main quest.

Just give me a big sandbox I can fill with mods and I’ll be happy.

I do wonder what will release first Es6 or Skyfield, Skyrim modded in to starfield engine.:lol:

I liked the story a lot in FO4 and Skyrim so for me the story was fine. The NPC's in Skyrim sucked though - boring dull pack mules except for Serana who came later. Now the FO4 companions I adored - at least they had some more depth to them.

I did the story first in both games then spent the remaining thousands of hours sandboxing, role playing, modding, creating, and writing.

Austin makes Elder Scrolls VI? That's not good news for this game :( Todd did say it was SP though, or at least that it had a SP campaign, IIRC.

With Starfield in parallel and possibly yet another game, maybe that's the only way they can manage it. And I'd (selfishly) rather have ES6 made there than Starfield.

I don't see TES VI being anything other than single-player if that's what you're worried about. They already have multiplayer games for TES and Fallout, and TES Online doesn't seem to be running out of steam anytime soon.

I really hope they are designing a new engine :lol: but I know that's not going to happen.

Will buy it. Bethesda is good at their shtick. That makes far from perfect games, obviously (I would really like to see the Radiant AI promised in Oblivion, for example), but they still overlap with enough of my preferences well enough to let me enjoy hundreds of hours with them.

I don't see TES VI being anything other than single-player if that's what you're worried about. They already have multiplayer games for TES and Fallout, and TES Online doesn't seem to be running out of steam anytime soon.
That's not really what worries me, I think it had been confirmed in an interview 3 years ago, though the phrasing was a bit ambiguous, that TES VI and Starfield were meant to be single player.

But what I'm concerned about is the content, because the team has mostly an MP experience. Is Todd Howard the only creative director on all those games? Or will he have to leave a lot of freedom to each team?

But what I'm concerned about is the content, because the team has mostly an MP experience. Is Todd Howard the only creative director on all those games? Or will he have to leave a lot of freedom to each team?

For something as important to them as TES, I imagine they probably shift people around as needed. If it is being developed in Austin, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be the exact same team that developed FO 76.

I think the MS acquisition might have saved us from everything-is-a-service now at Bethesda. MS have a different incentive to actually provide the games people want on their platforms, whereas most large publishers now are mesmerized by the fabulous riches if you manage to get a GAAS hit.

With 13 to 15 years between each Elder Scrolls release, VI might be my last, assuming I'm here in 24-25.

Back
Top Bottom