Persona 5

I would like to get back into JRPGs again, because I have fond memories. But I think they are made for teens, and I don't think I could suffer through the combat again.

I would like to get back into JRPGs again, because I have fond memories. But I think they are made for teens, and I don't think I could suffer through the combat again.

I love JRPGs and I'm 48 years old, guess I'm a teen at heart. And ... 'suffer through the combat again'??? I am suffering through the combat in a lot of games nowadays where I have to press 'X' at the right time or remember that X X B A A is a summersault jumping kick.

I cannot stand the kind of combat that requires you to hit specific buttons at varying intervals, but the old, classic eastern-style games I simply cannot get enough of. I'm really happy to see how many have recently made the transition to home computers, and I hope that continues.

Gotta agree with @posfan12; on the target age. I can still enjoy the JRPGs but it tends to be despite the targeted age of the game.

I can forgive the childish looks of any game IF the combat is difficult and challenging. Games like Final Fantasy( at least the early ones) and the Disgae series come to mind in this regard, as well as many others.

I am suffering through the combat in a lot of games nowadays where I have to press 'X' at the right time or remember that X X B A A is a summersault jumping kick.

What games are these? The only recent Action RPG I've played on a gamepad is Witcher 2.

What games are these? The only recent Action RPG I've played on a gamepad is Witcher 2.

Most non-turn based JRPGs are button smashers or games where you have to press a button at the right time. In PC a similar problem happens with 'dodge/roller' RPGs, where all you do is either roll roll roll swing or block/swing/block/swing. I prefer a proper turn based RPG with lots of options and multi-characters.

Witcher 2 is the only "roller" RPG I've played, and it was an okay game. Usually I prefer turn based tactical combat, but Witcher 2 was not bad. Gothic 1 & 2 combat is also serviceable. (Can't remember if you roll in those games though.)

Witcher 2 is no roller, lad, THIS is a roller!

Try a JRPG like valkyrie profile, not all of them are made for teens, actually far from it.

Back
Top Bottom