The Science Thread

Elon Musk plans for evolving rocket technologies, moon & mars colonization, orbital refueling, and other crazy, exciting stuff.

IAC presentation:

Last edited:
Video gamers have an advantage in learning.

"Neuropsychologists let video gamers compete against non-gamers in a learning competition. During the test, the video gamers performed significantly better and showed an increased brain activity in the brain areas that are relevant for learning."

Details in full article.

But then there is this

"People in the group that played action video games lost gray matter in the hippocampus"

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/08/09/542215646/video-games-may-affect-the-brain-differently-depending-on-what-you-play

""In the majority of action video games, there's an onscreen GPS overlaid on the screen," West says. "There's also wayfinding markers overlaid over the environment, and we know from past studies that when people are encouraged to navigate using these cues, really, they're not using their hippocampal memory system to navigate.""

Yeah, so using maps weakens your hippocampus? Same could be said for phones...

But then there is this

"People in the group that played action video games lost gray matter in the hippocampus"

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/08/09/542215646/video-games-may-affect-the-brain-differently-depending-on-what-you-play

""In the majority of action video games, there's an onscreen GPS overlaid on the screen," West says. "There's also wayfinding markers overlaid over the environment, and we know from past studies that when people are encouraged to navigate using these cues, really, they're not using their hippocampal memory system to navigate.""

Yeah, so using maps weakens your hippocampus? Same could be said for phones…

Ah science...

Six of one; minus half a dozen of the other.

Time for researchers to apply for a grant to get this conflict straightened out I guess.

__

But then there is this

:D

According to that article, there are exactly two types of games, first person shooters and Super Mario games - FPS's are bad for you, Super Mario is good for you. There are no other types of games.

The thoroughness of your study impresses me. I'd like to fund your next one.

:biggrin:

Aw, now you ruined my fun of skimming the first two thirds of an article and coming to conclusions.

My research methods impress me and I'd like to fund my next study.

Personally, I'm very interested in moon cave futures. I'm going to need somewhere to live, as we seem to have lost this planet to the morons.

One of our politicians, from Corwin-land describes science as ‘book facts’ so not in the real world or useable, unlike ‘real’ facts

These buggers are spreading everywhere

What's really happening is that insects are depressed and are committing suicide. Don't blame the poor farmers!

Back
Top Bottom