The "I Just Bought" thread

Microgeophagus ? Sounds almost like a name of bacteria ! ;)

The Xiaomi Roborock S50 robot vacuum cleaner (https://www.the-ambient.com/reviews/xiaomi-roborock-s50-s5-robot-vacuum-review-1083). And yes <LamePunWarning> it does suck</LamePunWarning>. Very well, actually.

At the moment it's quite funny watching it, how it navigates the rooms, finding it's way between chairs and other obstructions. We have a medium long-haired cat, which means a lot of cat hair araound the house, especially on carpets. And takes care of those.

It also comes with equipment to wash the floors. So far we haven't tested that (we've only had it for 24 hours).

pibbur whose remaining quiestion is how the cat, who absolutely detests the regular vacuum cleaner, will react to this one. It doesn't make nearly as much noise, but of course, it moves around, very insistently, so she most likely will be a bit skeptic.

Last edited:
I just got a Ryzen 3700X yesterday. Still waiting for the motherboard and RAM to arrive so I can build my new rig.

I have decided to give the thingy a name: "Cygnus X-1" which (according to Wikipedia) "is a galactic X-ray source in the constellation Cygnus, and the first such source widely accepted to be a black hole". Admittedly the comparison between black holes and vacuum cleaners is by astronomers considered somewhat dubious, but the inspiration is based on this (from memory) quote from the "Journal of Irreproducible Results":

"In our article 'The Black Hole, and Inexpensive Vacuum Cleaner', we erroneously stated that the hose should be put inside the Swarzchild radius. The correct is of course that it should be positioned outside the Swarzchild radius. We regret any inconveniences caused by this."

pibbur who likes giving things names. It started backing '79 and '81 when his daughters were born.

This:
nari-ultimate-hero-desktop.jpg

The Razer Nari Ultimate, a wireless gaming headset.

What makes this headset stand apart from (most of) the rest is it's Razer HyperSense, and "intelligent haptic technology developed by Lofelt™ that "converts sound signals into dynamic touch-sensory feedback in real time". In short, the headset vibrates in response to sound, and the direction of the sound, (especially bass). It's not the first headset coming with this, but according to some reviews it's the first one that gets it right. In games this certainly adds to my immersion. Spatial sound also works very well.

This is first of all a gaming headset. I use it for listening to music as well, but there are better headsets for that. Some reviewers characterize the sound as a bit "dull", and I agree (to some degree) for music, although after some careful adjustments I'm quite happy with it. And I didn't buy this headset for music. BTW: The vibrations can be a bit disturbing while lisening to music. Sometimes it works fine and adds to the experience ("Pink Floyd "Welcome to the machine", "Dogs"..), other times not so much. I haven't decided whether to keep it on or off by default for music.

It comes with light-effects which can be programmed and is kind of weird, as I can't see them while wearing the headset. I've turned them off.

One more thing: It has "Hidden Indented Eyewear Channels" which "eliminates pressure from glasses for eyewear relief". Now, my glasses has a rather thin frame, but I didn't notice any discomfort wearing glasses with them. All in all the headset is very comfortable, despite it being large, bulky, and a bit on the heavy side.

One more one-more-thing (which the joxer should appreciate), it's (according to Tom's guide) "Unfriendly to phones and consoles". You can connect it, but most of the special features won't work on those devices. This is a headset for the PC, and since I will only use it with my PC, that problem is non existant for me. And trust me, due to its size you would look rather silly wearing this headset outside, on the bus or train or whatever…

The headset comes at a hefty price (200 USD), but I bought it when my pusher had it on sale (150 USD), and it's well worth that price.

pibbur who sadly cannot be accused of bribery for writing this.

Last edited:
Those of you with more than short-term memory will remember that there are some compatibility issues between me and smart phones, or phones in general. Twice I've (unintentionally) dropped them in the loo, resulting in reduced (non-existing) functionality (as a phone). I've also had other phones not working, which I claim is not caused by any action of mine. Last week my trusty old Huawei for all practical purposes entered a non-functional state. The screen was completely filled by moving black and white stripes. I can't say if it responded to finger punches, but if it did, I had no way of knowing exactly what it's response was. So yes, for all practical purposes it had kicked the bucket, shuffled off this mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible.

In other words, time to get a new one. Now, my cell phone pusher has started a new cell phone campaign, an Almost-new-(one-year-old)-phone-with-2-year's-warranty service. So I bought this one at a very nice, reduced price:

1-23573d9f31-samsung-galaxy-s9-2-500x500.jpg

The mighty Samsung Galaxy S9. So far I'm quite happy with it It's got a better screen than the Huawei. It's faster. It's got better sound quality when playing music. It support larger memory cards (500Gb), so I'll probably never run out of space for music (currently using approx 150 Gb). And it runs out battery power more quickly.

Well, the latter is perhaps not a good thing. But yes, compared to the Huawei, it has a smaller battery, and it's enhanced features uses more power.

One possible benefit is of course also that it won't run out of Android support. Probably.

Like the previous one, I've christened it Anhima (after Anhima cornuta, the horned screaming bird.). And unlike the previous one I decided not to use "Careful with that axe, Eugene" as a ring tone. In stead I, surprise, surprise, went for the sound said screamer actually uses:

One thing I don't like - actually, two things I don't like: The phone has got 2 - TWO "assistants", the google one, and Samsung's own "Bixby". I don't like them, and unfortunately it's not possible to get rid of them, But I've denied them any privileges, so mostly I am not disturbed by them, except for the occasionally complaints that they can't do anything unless I allow them to. Which I won't.

pibbur whose only acceptable assistant is pibbur. And the wife. And daughters. And occasionally a few others. BUT THAT'S WHERE HE DRAWS THE LINE!

Like the previous one, I've christened it Anhima (after Anhima cornuta, the horned screaming bird.). And unlike the previous one I decided not to use "Careful with that axe, Eugene" as a ring tone. In stead I, surprise, surprise, went for the sound said screamer actually uses

I would like to request that, if you're in my coffee shop, you do not allow your phone to ring for any length of time.

Those of you with more than short-term memory will remember that there are some compatibility issues between me and smart phones, or phones in general. Twice I've (unintentionally) dropped them in the loo, resulting in reduced (non-existing) functionality (as a phone).
My phone can supposedly stay underwater for 30 minutes. Not that there would be any reason to bring it into the bathroom in the first place...

Zloth
who is quite mobile when he wants to be, but rarely wants to be ;)

My phone can supposedly stay underwater for 30 minutes. Not that there would be any reason to bring it into the bathroom in the first place…
Looks like it could withstand a significant amount of (exploding) TNT as well. Not that there's any reason for experimenting with that, either.
Zloth who is quite mobile when he wants to be, but rarely wants to be ;)

pibbur who admires the wisdom of the Zloth.

Last edited:
I would like to request that, if you're in my coffee shop, you do not allow your phone to ring for any length of time.

Request noted. And disregarded.

pibbur who observes that his willingness to answer phone calls and by extension the length of phone ringing time is largely determined by his mood.

BTW: Which coffee shop?

Request noted. And disregarded.

pibbur who observes that his willingness to answer phone calls and by extension the length of phone ringing time is largely determined by his mood.

BTW: Which coffee shop?

I like this one.

Well Pibs, you're definitely ahead of me. I'm still using (as little as I can get away with) a Galaxy 2!! :)

I just brought a little glass ball with a sucker cup… and a hole in the middle.

Is it for observing or feeding little fish?

Very secretive...

Back
Top Bottom