Daggerfall Unity - January Builds

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Daggerfall Unity gets smaller dungeons and other much requested features from the January builds.

January Builds - Vampirism, Spell Icons, More Magic Stuff, New Quest Actions, and More!

Posted on January 19, 2019 by Interkarma

It's time for a fresh round of Live Builds for January 2019. The last month has seen a lot of progress across a wide variety of systems, so rather than waste time on an intro. let's get right into it.

Vampirism

The full loop of Daggerfall-styled vampirism is now in the game from curse all the way through to cure. Each time you're mauled by a vampire, you have a 0.6% chance of contracting the disease that will transform your character into one of their kind. Some time after being infected, your rest will be plagued with bad dreams. Unless you like fangs and late-night shopping, this would be a good time to find a temple and cure yourself of diseases.

If you allow the disease to continue a few days, you will "die" and awaken two weeks later interred somewhere in the region. In classic Daggerfall, your death will also remove you from all guilds and reset your legal reputations. At this time, Daggerfall Unity doesn't modify guild memberships or reputations, this will be implemented sometime in the next few months.

Becoming a vampire comes with some great perks. You can no longer be touched by weapons less than silver quality, you get +20 to most attributes, +30 to Climbing, Critical Strike, Hand-to-Hand, Jumping, Running, and Stealth, and unique vampire versions of spells including one specific to your clan. I should note that only Levitate and clan-specific spells are currently delivered to vampires. Charm Mortal and Calm Humanoid are not working yet, but will be added soon. You also get a nice set of fangs and some really bloodshot eyes.

It's not all positive though. As a vampire, you will start taking damage from sunlight and holy place. But most pressing of all is the need to satiate your urge to kill at least once a day. If you fail to kill each day, you will find yourself unable to rest which can make things difficult. Fast travel will also make you arrive at night, so you will have limited time windows for shopping in cities before they close.

After playing for a while, you will receive unique vampire quest, starting with an introduction ques from your clan. There are 10 vampire quests in total, including one that will cure you of the infliction.

It's probably worth mentioning that most of the back-end work for racial override effects is now complete, so lycanthropy won't be too far away.

Spell Icon Packs

While still a work in progress, it's now possible for modders to create custom spell icon packs for magical distinction. You can have any number of icon packs installed which can have any number of icons. A test HD icon pack painted by VMBlast and prepared by Alyndiar on the forums is included in this build. This pack is likely to be upgraded at some time in future.

This feature comes with an enhanced icon picker that opens a scrolling palette of all available spell icons from packs and classic, rather than cycle through icons one at a time.

You can set the new spell icon from inside the spellbook or spellmaker UI. Your new spell icon will then be visible on the HUD when you cast that spell. Screenshot below by Alyndiar.

If you remove a spell icon pack, then Daggerfall Unity will just fallback to one of the classic icons instead. Effect icons from magic items do not currently use custom spell icons - a system for this working automatically and being defined by icon pack metadata is in progress.

Smaller Dungeons

If you're one of the many people who find Daggerfall dungeons overwhelming, there's now an experimental feature to make most dungeons much smaller and easier to navigate. You can enable this by setting "SmallerDungeons=True" in settings.ini. Because this is still in experimental stages, the setting is only available in settings.ini. Please make sure your save is not inside a dungeon when changing this!

Smaller dungeons work by remixing a random dungeon at layout time down to the minimum viable size of one interior block surrounded by four border blocks. This will simplify all random dungeons to around the size of Privateer's Hold. Dungeons that are already small (e.g. cemeteries) and main quest dungeons are not affected by this change.

The following screenshots show a comparison of dungeons before and after enabling SmallerDungeons in settings. The smaller dungeon is still in the same style because components from the original dungeon are being remixed into a more compact format. If the original dungeon had water blocks, then the new dungeon might have a water block as well. New random layouts are seeded by the dungeon's unique mapid, so the layout continues to have persistence like the static layout data read from classic.

Hopefully this feature will help newcomers have a better experience with Daggerfall while not completely changing the way Daggerfall's dungeons look and feel.

City Gate Schedule

By order of the City Watch, walled cities now maintain a strict daily schedule. Gates will close at night and open again in the morning. Any travellers arriving at night (such as vampires) will need to find another way over the walls.

Potions & Potion Making (Hazelnut)

Daggerfall Unity now has full potion support thanks to Hazelnut's efforts. All recipes are matched to effects and can be mixed in game. Potions have improved icon matching (a healing potion will have a red liquid for example) and potions of the same type will stack nicely. This feature is a huge plus for characters that prefer not to use magic directly.

Edit: Potions were originally available in December 20 builds, but some refinement has been done since then. It seemed appropriate to mention the feature again in light of how much work Hazelnut has put into it.

Use Magic Item Popup (Hazelnut)

You've been able to Use magic items to cast spells for a while, and now you can hit the "use magic item" hotkey (default U) to open a list of available magic items to cast from. This helps cut down on recasting time. Magic items will also now lose a bit of durability on each use until they break.

Organise Spellbook Items (Pango)

You can now move spellbook items up or down manually, or sort by alphabetical and order of spell cost. You can also rename spells and change their icons in the spellbook UI.

Racial Bonuses Info (Numidium)

When you click the History button on character sheet, any racial bonuses are now displayed as part of the popup info. This will include changes from secondary races like vampires and lycanthropes.

[...]
More information.

I never played Daggerfall before, because it is a seemingly gigantic game and also because of its randomly-generated, sometimes-confusing levels. But if this project sees the light of the day (and if it somehow does attenuate these factors), I might give it a try :)

Last edited:
I loved Daggerfall when it first released, and should this newer version be in a format that's easily installed, I'll likely replay the entire game. If you've never played the game, you really should give it a go, even in it's current dated state it remains a serious masterpiece of gaming.

I never played Daggerfall before, because it is a seemingly gigantic game and also because of its randomly-generated, sometimes-confusing levels. But if this project sees the light of the day (and if it somehow does attenuate these factors), I might give it a try :)
The dungeons were really annoying sometimes and the teleport spell was crucial not to die of boredom. I remember spending way too much time trying to get out of dungeons after forgetting to set the teleport target before going to far inside...

So yeah, if it works well it should be better this way. In my opinion of course :)

It looks like this is one of the few projects like this that's actually going to get finished. I'm looking forward to playing it some day.

The dungeons were really annoying sometimes and the teleport spell was crucial not to die of boredom. I remember spending way too much time trying to get out of dungeons after forgetting to set the teleport target before going to far inside…

So yeah, if it works well it should be better this way. In my opinion of course :)

The random dungeons were just too large and random most of the time. Plus they served no purpose other than to level up and/or find loot to sell. Afaik, none of the dungeons that weren't part of the main quest had anything unique in them.

I plan on sticking to the main quest when I play with very little side exploration since there's no point in it.

I have it on good authority that a modder involved with this project is going to rewrite/redo the way the game creates dungeons to be more cohesive and not as crazy as vanilla. I will definitely be trying this when it's done!

ARENA was by far the best in this series. Daggerfall had nice graphics and amazing music on the Gravis Ultrasound 1MB. If they could turn this Daggerfall Unity into Arena feature-wise, eh.. I'm dreaming.

I remember the company bought its first Pentium-90Mhz super power machine, when I had only a 486-DX2-66Mhz and I brought the game to work to see how fast it runs. Maaan.. it ran butter-smooth! I especially loved trying out the levitation spell and blazing - flying through dungeons at the super speed of the Pentium. That was so amazing.

It looks like this is one of the few projects like this that's actually going to get finished. I'm looking forward to playing it some day.

The random dungeons were just too large and random most of the time. Plus they served no purpose other than to level up and/or find loot to sell. Afaik, none of the dungeons that weren't part of the main quest had anything unique in them.

I plan on sticking to the main quest when I play with very little side exploration since there's no point in it.
I actually never finished the game due to its gigantic dungeons. I was too tired of the random dungeons so the main quest dungeons felt like just more of the same.

I think I'll have to do the same as you if I replay with this project.

I have it on good authority that a modder involved with this project is going to rewrite/redo the way the game creates dungeons to be more cohesive and not as crazy as vanilla. I will definitely be trying this when it's done!
That's really cool if they do it well!

I actually never finished the game due to its gigantic dungeons.

The big random twisty dungeons did not compliment the original game at all. They were confusing and boring. I think it's a great design decision by the modders to include a mechanism where random dungeons can be created to a minimal size.

Yup, I'm also a great admirer of those long, sprawling dungeons and mazes in this game. I'll be curious to see exactly what the new version looks like in this regard.

I, for one apparently, loved the crazy convoluted big dungeons. The subsequent game dungeons were a big let down.

Well the good thing is that the mod makes this optional so people who like the large random dungeons can keep them.

I was part of the Daggerfall beta testers back in the 1990s. I still remember those fevered drives to FedEx to get the latest build… couldn't even wait for them to deliver the CD ROMs.

Back on point, I clearly remember the internal debate between us testers regarding the random dungeons. Easily, the vast majority of us didn't like them much… mainly because they were just too convoluted, too big, and somewhat meaningless. I think the devs were fixated on the tech of it all… the tech to make it all work WAS interesting. It just wasn't very fun as a player.

Now for the obligatory, "wtf was wrong with you testers, Daggerfall was a bugfest!" Believe me, we had thousands of bugs documented. They went to gold anyway. Bethesda still behaves this way to this day.

Back
Top Bottom