What games are you playing now? - Page 672 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

February 12th, 2021, 02:45
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Makes me wish I had a VR setup to try it. There aren't enough VR games I'm interested in though to justify it for me.
Yeah, there really aren't. If I didn't already have the Oculus Quest for cardio I probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to try it. But now, having tried Alyx, I probably would've relented and got it. But probably not the 1000$ vive index or anything. I chose the quest because it was only around 400, and if I brick it due to sweat I won't as easily die inside.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Imagine a VR version of Alien: Isolation. That would probably be a true pants-shitter.
I think I heard Dart say that he played Isolation in VR, and it was indeed as horrorfying as you can imagine.

EDIT: I found the exact sequence I described above, played by somebody else. But he was lucky enough to have pistol clips. I had to manage with the shotgun. It was not pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsIimv2embA

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

February 12th, 2021, 14:34
after 2 months of break due to stuff, have alot of time know to play/replay some rpgs

Spoiler – hmm goodies goodies
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

February 12th, 2021, 17:15
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
after 2 months of break due to stuff, have alot of time know to play/replay some rpgs

Spoiler – hmm goodies goodies
Nice selection !

devoncop

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 12th, 2021, 19:40
Okay, now this is ridiculous.
Started playing Elex (XSX, originally on PC) for about the 20th time, hoping it would click eventually.
And it happened again: the game REALLY hooked me for the first 5 hours or so, then I rage quitted for various reasons. Happened just like the last 19 times. . .

Nevertheless, I'm determined to love this game, because the potential is there.
I just have to rewire my brain for embracing Elex, but frankly, dunno how.

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

February 12th, 2021, 19:49
I loved the first area where it played like a fantasy rpg. Once that was mostly complete, I just lost interest. I believe it is a great game though. I may start that again myself, @deurer!
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

February 12th, 2021, 19:55
Originally Posted by duerer View Post

Started playing Elex (XSX, originally on PC) for about the 20th time, hoping it would click eventually.

And it happened again: the game REALLY hooked me for the first 5 hours or so, then I rage quitted for various reasons. Happened just like the last 19 times. . .

Why ragequit?

Why causes it?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

February 12th, 2021, 19:59
Ok, I got out of the dark tunnels which again had black head crabs aplenty. It took a bit of work but I managed to find my way out. Seems the gameplay sign I have to look for is for my flashlight to go out. That signals that I'm not gonna need it anymore. So far so good.

But after only a brief stint in the sunlight, I again had to enter another infested building and you can imagine my demoralization when after going down a few steps, and seeing the organic alien infestation matter across the walls, my flashlight turned on again. And it feels like I'm right where I was before. In the thick of it.

Yeah, now with the excitement of new things somewhat gone, I think I'm starting to see the gameplay loop. It's basically explore the top-side in light, then explore the undeground in the dark. It's still fun, but a bit of the luster is gone. One thing that is fore sure imo, and this is probably why VR gaming will not take the place of regular gaming, is that the intensity is quite high and you just can't endure that for a long while as a player. And the gameplay itself is often richety. The gunplay is great, but the movement is just not up to the standards of non-VR gaming. At least not for now.

Also, the game seems to rely very heavily on the whole VR experience. And not so much on the story and world-building. I feel I spend most of the time through what feels like random tunnels, fighting the aliens. There are story elements now and then, but it's obvious where they thought its strenth was. And for this stage it's probably ok. But going forward they will have to do more, I think. And considering that part usually takes a lot of the time and money, and VR will likely not become mainstream anytime soon, I'm not sure how that wil fare.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

February 12th, 2021, 20:06

Just break up already. You're doing a real life "it's not you, it's me" thing with a game.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
+1:

February 12th, 2021, 20:09
That can be easier said than done sometimes.

Elex is like that one chick that you know is crazy, but you can't break away completely because that ***** is just so damn good.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)

February 12th, 2021, 20:20
And it happened again: the game REALLY hooked me for the first 5 hours or so, then I rage quitted for various reasons.
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Why ragequit?

Why causes it?
I'm not sure, hence my frustration.
I guess I like the prologue's "alone in a dangerous world"-vibe, the lore's "life after the catastrophe-but totally NOT Mad Max" setting, the very German thinking of "torn between personal free will and community order" philosophy, the initial monsters who are hard but fair, the wonderful exploration, the seemingly insane but logical character building. . .
. . . and then it falls apart for some reason. Is it the underwhelming NPCs and initial quests? Or the totally broken (IMHO) difficulty curve? Or the "everything but the kitchen sink" character building approach? Or the various technical glitches?

None of these issues would make me angry (hey, I'm playin' games for 30+ years, so I know EXACTLY when a game stinks), but I have a constant feeling that the game is not meant for gamers (a proof of concept perhaps?) -- or it was meant for a VERY SPECIFIC TYPE of gamers. . . and this is the riddle I want to solve.

(For the record: I'm quite all right with the Gothics and the first Risen)

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

February 12th, 2021, 22:33
Rage quit Elex? No sir, get back in there, chop off manhoods feed them to the goats, and listen to the lamentations of all their women! A stellar body count will sooth your soul in no time!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

February 13th, 2021, 16:45
Ashen

i would say it is a successful copy paste of dark souls but it doesnt have backstab and you are forced to play with a companion which fucks up the atmosphere alot of the time; helps alot in combat but also reveals hidden mobs/ambushes since its a moron and often goes on rampage alone lol
anyway, the game has one of the best dungeons i have seen, on par with new londo ruins/blightown from the first dark souls, it keeps on going and going and going, and made me say fucking finalyyyyyyyyyyy when i saw the rest stone(bonfire) in it lol
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

February 13th, 2021, 19:13
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Just break up already. You're doing a real life "it's not you, it's me" thing with a game.
I do this with the Gothics. I've tried Gothic 1/2 several times because I "should" love them. Unfortunately, they all look horrible nowadays, so I had to move on. I do enjoy Risen 3 though. I've played through that one a few times. Love the hidden loot.

Was going to play Elex, but Solasta has a mini-sale so gonna give that a go next.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

February 14th, 2021, 02:07
Trying Underrail. At first, I thought it was another game with an insane difficulty level a la Age of Decadence. Then I realized that I had just tried adventuring in an area I'm expected to visit a couple of level later. Pheeew!

Otherwise, the game is pretty enjoyable so far. Interesting setting & classic turn based gameplay.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

February 14th, 2021, 02:23
Originally Posted by vanedor View Post
Trying Underrail. At first, I thought it was another game with an insane difficulty level a la Age of Decadence. Then I realized that I had just tried adventuring in an area I'm expected to visit a couple of level later. Pheeew!

Otherwise, the game is pretty enjoyable so far. Interesting setting & classic turn based gameplay.
I died a lot throughout my playtime (42 hour) but I enjoyed the game. Hopefully I'll get back to it one of these days.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
+1:

February 14th, 2021, 03:33
Playing nioh 2 on PC. Good game, sort of like diablo builds and loot mixed with Dark souls combat (kinda) and difficulty. Builds seem to trump skill.

Imo.

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 14th, 2021, 10:40
Originally Posted by vanedor View Post

Very fun game. I didn't have any difficulty issues with the game but I think it's possible to screw up your build if you do spread yourself too thin.

I didn't end up finishing the game because the final level is a mind ****.

But I did enjoy the game a lot.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
+1:

February 14th, 2021, 11:20
Cyberpunk 2077 (again). Just did one of the coolest things I've ever done in a game - rode a rollercoaster. Realistic enough hat my partner who suffers a little from motion sickness could not watch it all!

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

February 14th, 2021, 18:50
Operencia is charming, and lots of fun. I just completed some dungeon area, and then I was roaming through a forest, and last night before I stopped I'd just arrived at an underground tomb. I'm really enjoying the story, combat and exploration of this one, I hope it keeps me entertained for a few more weeks of glory!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

February 14th, 2021, 20:43
Originally Posted by Hurls View Post
Cyberpunk 2077 (again). Just did one of the coolest things I've ever done in a game - rode a rollercoaster. Realistic enough hat my partner who suffers a little from motion sickness could not watch it all!
Pft, been there, done that, with 3D Vision, all night long
loading…

Granted, Cyberpunk probably has a few more polygons involved…
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?