KotC II - Kickstarter possibly this November

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
On the Knights of the Chalice 2 forums an update by the developer announces that he is thinking of launching a Kickstarter for the game November this year.

Hello everyone, thank you so much for your support. When I read about how interested people are in KotC 2, it inspires me to make a really great game!

Time flies. I might launch the Kickstarter in November this year. It depends on how fast I can finish the AI and make a nice polished demo.

I've already worked on AI for around 5 weeks nonstop and I expect that it will require an additional two or three months. It takes a lot of time to do the required testing and fix bugs and make sure that the AI plays well in all situations.

Take care and stay tuned!
icon_e_smile.gif
More information.

I would have preferred a release date but this is interesting news!

Considering the graphics were going to be round, inanimate tokens I think some funding to hire artists would be money very well spent.

I'd rather hear about the second game launching like, this week, but I'll take what I can get. Bluesalamander, I'll be there in November with a pack of sandwiches and my wallet, bring it on!!!

Considering the graphics were going to be round, inanimate tokens I think some funding to hire artists would be money very well spent.

Same here. I actually really liked the graphics in KotC.

That said, glad to see that work is still progressing on this game. Seems like I've been following it forever. XD

I like the graphics in the first KotC, too. Would like to see them improved, maybe slightly higher-res, more detailed, etc., instead of the round token thing. But maybe he's also planning a mobile release (that style would translate a lot to mobile.)

If the art is improved or at least equal to the first game, I'll buy this one too.

Yeah I would prefer no massive change in graphics myself. The first game was excellent as it is, and the second could follow suit and wind up just the same, just with more classes and content. I do trust this guy though, so a change wouldn't keep me away from a new volume.

I'm in, tokens or not.

I have not given to a Kickstarter in a bit but KotC II will get a little extra from me. The first game is one of my favorites.

Do you have some reason to believe the graphic style for KotC2 is going to change because of this KS?

He could also raise some more cash by bringing KotC1 to Steam and Gog.

I recall reading some old posts of his around the time of the first game in which he had a real philosophical problem with Steam's 30% cut, although I believe that number is a reasonable markup for retail.

One could argue, I suppose, that old rule of thumb shouldn't apply to computer games, because Steam's overhead costs are probably pretty damn low when spread across its sales. Don't recall if that was his argument, though.

Good news. But please continue to use you own engine and don't use Unity!

If I were in his shoes, I'd definitely be using the Godot engine.

Do you have some reason to believe the graphic style for KotC2 is going to change because of this KS?

No, I just assumed. What else would the kickstarter be for?

Tokens graphics isn't "KotC". The graphics should look more like the first game, imo. Call the game something else if it looks that different. Diablo2 didn't change to tokens because it would be fucking shit.

If he just wants cash now and a kickstarter isn't going to significantly change development, no extra staff joining the team, etc, then count me out. Either way, development will stay just as slow or become even slower as issues from new features arise so it's not the most exciting prospect, regardless. Still interesting news!

What do you think? Have you heard anything?

I'd be happy enough to back this one - I'd expect him to be honest and realistic in the KS. Be great if he changed his mind about the tokens, though. I wouldn't have thought it would be too onerous to get some sprites made, particularly with a bit of backing.

Please don't back this game if he's really going to just use tokens for the characters. The last thing we need is developers thinking that's what we want.

Please don't back this game if he's really going to just use tokens for the characters. The last thing we need is developers thinking that's what we want.

I wouldn't be too worried about that. It strikes me as a potentially a bit like Jeff Vogel, where he might stick to his rather rudimentary guns, and appeal to a select niche, but I don't think many people will be encouraged to believe this is the way forward.

No, I just assumed. What else would the kickstarter be for?

Tokens graphics isn't "KotC". The graphics should look more like the first game, imo. Call the game something else if it looks that different. Diablo2 didn't change to tokens because it would be fucking shit.

If he just wants cash now and a kickstarter isn't going to significantly change development, no extra staff joining the team, etc, then count me out. Either way, development will stay just as slow or become even slower as issues from new features arise so it's not the most exciting prospect, regardless. Still interesting news!

What do you think? Have you heard anything?
I agree that the token graphics are horrible, but I bet he isn't planning on changing them. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I agree that the token graphics are horrible, but I bet he isn't planning on changing them. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm guessing he won't change them either. My general impression from reading those old posts was that he is an intelligent guy who seemed set in his ways and opinions.

Back
Top Bottom