Underworld Ascendant - Performance Improvements

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Underworld Ascendant talks performance improvements.

Hi everyone, we're happy to release Update 3 for Underworld Ascendant. We've been listening to your feedback and focused this Update on improving performance, fixing bugs and polishing various aspects of the game. We also added a bunch of fun new things as noted below.

Performance Improvements and New or Updated Features

• Major improvements to frame rate and load times.
  • Lighting pass across the game to help players see deeper into the darkest corners of the Abyss.
  • Added Saurian Mage allies that have been captured by Typhon's minions. Once you free these allies, they will aid you in battle against nearby undead.
  • Added the Outcast character Fane, an ally who, once freed, becomes a vendor selling adventuring provisions wherever Hapurkala sets up camp.
  • Added Talking Skulls (Bart and Bertha) to the Midnight Forum in Marcaul.
  • Increased the equipment that drops in the earliest part of the game and added several new types of gear.
  • Loot from chests is now placed more intelligently in the chest's interior, to reduce unintended collisions.
  • Added a new, more appropriately-sized model representing smaller equipment items like helmets and boots.
  • Added confirmation text when Quick-Saving, including a notification if the player is in a situation where saving is not permitted.
  • You can now start climbing ropes and chains from swimming contact, not just jumping. Also, contact with water won't break you out a rope climb.
  • Blast arrows no longer detonate without being fired (like, for example, when they're sitting in a chest).
  • Rune formulas branded on wands with the Focus Mastery skill are now preserved around player respawn.
  • Added Goggles of Night-vision as a new item of headgear.
  • Added variation of scale colors to Saurians (rather than all defaulting to green).
  • Updated Aelita's vendor tables to offer a greater selection of gear usable with the Ceremonial Garb skill.
  • Updated the sfx that plays upon completing a quest.
  • Improved performance when things are on fire.
[...]
More information.

I think there will be always something better to do in my life (and in my gaming backlog), then spending time with this, no matter how much patching it gets.

They're lucky they released when they did because projects like this don't get that amount of kickstarter money anymore. Then again, a project like this, is probably the reason why.

I still haven't checked this one out, but I'm glad to see patches and updates still rolling in. They likely will do a few more in the next few months, so I might check in after summer and see how it looks.

I’m glad they’re supporting the game, likely at a loss at this point so I don’t want to kick them when they may be down. Sadly, no matter how much they polish up this game with patches, it’s the gameplay itself keeping me away. Very sad and a massive bummer because I doubt we’ll ever see another attempt at this series.

Last edited:
"Ever" is a long bloody time. I'd put money on <3 years.

Theres no chance of a Richard Garriot style Ultima after Scam of the Avatar thats for sure!

Theres no chance of a Richard Garriot style Ultima after Scam of the Avatar thats for sure!

Why, do you think that's the first scam he's ever pulled? Is it even the first one this decade?

Back
Top Bottom