Larian Studios - Website Tease

Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights sequels only loosely follow their predecessors.

Exactly. And those games (one self-contained expansion excepted) are not considered groundbreaking classics in RPG storytelling as Baldur's Gate is.

Make an IWD3 if continuing the story is irrelevant.

Exactly. And those games (one self-contained expansion excepted) are not considered groundbreaking classics in RPG storytelling as Baldur's Gate is.

Make an IWD3 if continuing the story is irrelevant.

What about Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games? Those were just hack and slash games with no story relation at all. How come they were not called something else? Guess what, they took place in Baldur's Gate. Forgotten Realms videogames have had titles based on geography since early 90s.

Cool. We are all excited to revive the proud tradition of the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games for the Nintendo Gamecube and PlayStation 2.

Sorry for the snark, but those games are maybe the single best example of trashing a series' good name for a quick buck.

Cool. We are all excited to revive the proud tradition of the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games for the Nintendo Gamecube and PlayStation 2.

Sorry for the snark, but those games are maybe the single best example of trashing a series' good name for a quick buck.
Actually enjoyed those games…but I get your point.

The Champions of Norrath games were good also on the PS2.

This is why I think reviving the BG name is a bad idea.

It is already an excellent idea.

A studio, a first product surfing on the crowdfunding hype, a second episode that is received tepidly.

Not sure they could have built as much attention as they are doing right now if they had announced DOS 3.

It is one of the most active threads on this site. It tells a lot.

The hype train is on.

a second episode that is received tepidly

Is that true? I thought DOS2 performed well for an RPG.

In fact, a quick google tells me it sold a million copies in about three months which … seems good?

Anyway, of course I don't disagree that it will be possible for Larian to make a nice profit off the BG name.

Sorry forgot, NO EXPLODING BARRELS!!
What!? Oh man.

Exploding plants, then? (Extra piercing damage if it's a cactus.)

I disagree. Well, with everything but the making a quick buck point.

Those games were good fun, shallow, but good fun. I actually bought a ps2 about a year or so ago and replayed them with my son. we had a blast. actually more fun than we had with diablo 3.

I don't believe in sacred cows though. If they can make a fun game no IP is off limits imo.

I thought Dark Alliance was quite terrible.

I remember being excited that there was new BG game and wondering why it wasn't available for PC. I went up to the local Blockbuster store and rented a PS2 copy. 30 minutes later I was thinking "Wtf is it this??"

I remember being excited that there was new BG game and wondering why it wasn't available for PC. I went up to the local Blockbuster store and rented a PS2 copy. 30 minutes later I was thinking "Wtf is it this??"

That mirrors my experience exactly.

I don't know, I had more fun with BG: DA than SCL. Although both were not good games.

Is that true? I thought DOS2 performed well for an RPG.

In fact, a quick google tells me it sold a million copies in about three months which … seems good?

The second sold on the basis of the first warm reception.

The second was tepidly received and is unlikely to provide the same platform of easy sales for a third. The chain is broken.

Already a fine move to give up on a franchise that was losing steam to switch to a franchise that brings its own train of hype.

The second sold on the basis of the first warm reception.

The second was tepidly received and is unlikely to provide the same platform of easy sales for a third. The chain is broken.

Already a fine move to give up on a franchise that was losing steam to switch to a franchise that brings its own train of hype.

Eh? I didn't like it but it has great reviews from critics and fans on metacritic (93 and 8.8 respectively) and "very positive" user reviews on Steam. How did you conclude it had a tepid response? The evidence suggests otherwise, no? Or do you have conflicting information from elsewhere?

Larian reported sales figures a while ago and even at that point they were rather decent. Not sure where chien makes up his numbers but clearly not based off of factual data.

Eh? I didn't like it but it has great reviews from critics and fans on metacritic (93 and 8.8 respectively) and "very positive" user reviews on Steam. How did you conclude it had a tepid response? The evidence suggests otherwise, no? Or do you have conflicting information from elsewhere?

That mirrors my experience exactly.

I can understand that reaction, especially if you went in expecting anything even remotely like the PC games.

I knew going in that it was a dumbed down hack-n-slash and played it as such. However, I’m not saying it was a great game or even very good for that matter. It was some mindless fun though. I’m a sucker for anything D&D.

I even played and finished Daggerdale.

Daggerdale was a lot of fun in co-op IMO. I am also a sucker for anything D&D. I didn't find the game terrible at all though, quite the opposite.

I have to say the Decent to Undermountain game was the worst I ever played. I could not even get it to work. So I guess I didn't even play it.

Back
Top Bottom