Fable 3 - Patch Released

If you want to play a ''HARDCORE'' rpg you must go to indepedent game Developers that create games for the love and not for the BIG MONEY . There are some really interesting rpg games in the works right now you just have to look around and be patient and support . Its a different quality of game the voice and graphics arent the same as a Big buget game but who cares!!! Some devs put there heart and soul in the game and you can tell. The future for us to get our Rpg fix is in Indie games we just have to support. As for Fable 3 , i would much rather play Zelda.

Wow, you played the "gaming for over X years card" again - It doesn't mean a thing. I've been gaming for, what, 18-19 years now? Big whoop.

Command & Conquer's failure was due to EA making a massive mistake with regards to EA Westwood, one that I believe EA do regret making. That said, the spinoff independent studio that formed (Petroglyph) hasn't exactly had a world of success either. It wasn't due to the market changing, it was due to corporate screw-ups.

Fable is an exception to the rule in terms of RPG games. Lionhead are a shell of who they once were, possibly (Some might say probably) due to Molyneux being able to speak at all, thus raising expectations and disappointing the customer base. But the Fable series, even during TLC, was never supposed to be hardcore or some bastion of RPG greatness - It's an immature, light hearted fantasy romp.

The move from "hardcore" RPGs is a change in the market. Yes, there are some out there, but even the more "hardcore" series have to adapt. Development costs are getting higher, and development studios are getting bigger, so they need to take more money to make a profit on games - It's easy for many FPS/TPS games, especially from major studios, but not so much for RPG developers because it's not as popular as it was. One good thing studios have going for them is the lack of RPGs, so if they get one out there then it's possibly going to sell more than it would have done because there are so few of them.

I'm not saying whether this is a right or wrong move, but developers (And, more importantly, publishers) want to get the maximum sales out of their product. Do people want a hardcore RPG or a light RPG? If the market suggests light, that's what they do. If you look at the market, where are all the turn-based strategies? They're fading for Real Time Strategies, which have been the predominant style for a fair few years now; Possibly since the days of Age of Empires 1.

I do think there's a hardcore market still out there, and you just need to look at websites like this to see how true it is, but I don't think anyone's willing to truly capitalise on it, and we might see a shift towards Obsidian's New Vegas in that "hardcore" is a setting on RPGs for those who want it, whereas the rest of us (Who were obviously dropped on our heads as children because we can't do BG2) can have a similar experience on a different setting.

Who knows, with New Vegas and Dragon Age's popularity, we might see the market U-Turn a little and go back to slightly more "hardcore" games. Mind you, have you seen Dragon Trainwreck 2? I think that says it all.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some games to play that I can only just manage with my apparent attention span issues, such as KotOR2, and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of them because they're playable and not up their own backside about being "hardcore".

I would love to make a rant like you always do to my post but I cant be bothered.People like you good sir are why the market is the way it is.I will call you an apologist..Good job sir for being part of the problem.I wont shed a tear when the companies that claim to make rpgs are shutdown.Maybe I should bend over and take it up my ass like all the other people out there.

couchpotato, dont let him get to you. he went on a rant saying how Pre order bonus was great ! Its true the gaming market is now making rpgs for little brats and simpletons . You would think this guy is a representative for gamestop, his opinion and belief system is the only one the matters . The truth is this guy is first in line to buy any DLC and any mediocre game out there and say what wrong with game companies selling me crap . He will be loving Fable 3 .

Couchpotato, here is a list of upcoming HARDCORE rpgs , no strings attached . INQUISITOR which looks great through my eyes,Grim Dawn, Age Of Decadence,The Broken Hourglass,Dead State, Demonicon: The Dark Eye. Scars Of War, Avadon: the Black Fortress,Risen 2, Stalker 2,Witcher 2 ,Theres a game called E.Y.E. reminds me of the original Dues Ex. There is stil hope for RPGs a take note that most if not all of these titles are BiG Buget games and they probable wont try and sell you DLC or be multiplatform . so there is hope for the days of quality gaming . Feel free to add to the list of games do you know any good games coming soon?

Firstly, I never said they're great.
Secondly, I gave my view point on why they exist and why they are not necessarily a bad thing. YOU were the one claiming that the Deus Ex pre-order DLC was ripped from the game yet YOU provided no source upon which to base your claim.
Thirdly, you nor Couchspudtrollface over there know me nor know what I do or don't enjoy in life.

No, I'm not first in line to buy any DLC or "mediocre game" out there - I buy the games which interest me, I take a distant view of pre-order bonuses and if I stand to benefit from them then all the better for me.

Just because I am willing to adapt to the changing market and trends in gaming, it doesn't mean I'm wrong, stupid, suffering from a low attention span or brain damaged in any way. I suggest both of you get over yourselves and either shut up or adapt. I'm not going to stand here (Well, sit here) and let you two attack me because you're so high-and-mighty about the so-called "golden days" of gaming.

If you two want to act like I'm the problem, then go ahead, do so. I don't care. You know why? Because I'm not. I'm not sucking at Activision's teet for Call of Duty or Warcraft, I'm not bowing down in front of UbiSoft in support of their extreme DRM. I buy and play what I like because I can, but I also stand by my beliefs. I don't believe in Activision price-hiking, so I don't buy their games. I don't believe in UbiSoft's DRM, so I don't buy there games. I don't support Microsoft's shafting of the PC, so I don't buy the games they publish (Well, unless they're dirt cheap of course). If a company appears to be milking DLC, then I won't buy it (Such as the deck unlocks for Duels of the Planeswalkers).

I vote with my money, I don't sit around lamenting for days that, frankly, are long gone. I adapt to the shifting market but I don't abandon my views. I do, however, view a game on its own merits and not what the market was like 10 years ago or what a certain game was like.

Demonicon: The Dark Eye
You'll find it's just Demonicon, now. Oh, it's also an action-RPG.

Thanks for the chuckle Dwagginz,no hard feelings. Oh, and enjoy Fable 3 and all its pre order exclusive DLC bonus weapons.

Thanks for the chuckle Dwagginz,no hard feelings. Oh, and enjoy Fable 3 and all its pre order exclusive DLC bonus weapons.

He says he wont but he will.:biggrin:As for dlc who knows and they more than likely will make you pay for it.And Dwagginz I will always disagree with you just like you disagree with me.Excuse me while I play all my lovely fallout games.God I love obsidian for showing Bethesda what an rpg is.

Back
Top Bottom