What's going on with Antharion?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Anyone know what's up with Antharion? Updates are few and far between, and their forums have very little traffic. It's still listed as a 2014 release. Can any backers confirm that?

Last edited:
Anyone know what's up with Antharion? Updates are few and far between, and their forums have very little traffic. It's still listed as a 2014 release. Can any backers confirm that?

I was thinking of posting the same thing a while ago. I backed it but haven't seen any info on it either other than the few posts on their kickstarter page.

I pledge for alpha access also and haven't heard so it must not even be in alpha yet.

This and a few others like it have really turned me off of kickstarter. I can understand delays but it's way past due and not even in alpha. Also a lack of any real info. I don't need full details of everything or videos but just a quick post to say where there at would be nice.

This and a few others like it have really turned me off of kickstarter.

I will no longer support any endeavors on KS. Legends of Dawn released a buggy, half-playable mess, and they STILL have not delivered ANY physical rewards, over a year later. This game, Antharion, appears to have been all but abandoned. There is simply no excuse for treating those who put their faith & their finances into your products this way. What a shame. It's always the actions of a few that totally screw the many.

Last edited:
You're right, LoD additional rewards are not shipped yet - not just boxes but also bonus games. It's not dead, dev is answering on KS comments.
The delay of several months already is also happening with Neptune Pine (smartwatch). They also keep communication with backers on KS comments.

For the project in the title, Antharion, I didn't back it so honestly never checked what's going on with it. Hopefully it's devs didn't stop posting in KS project comments.

In any case, I won't stop backing projects on KS because of a few delays.

You're right, LoD additional rewards are not shipped yet - not just boxes but also bonus games. It's not dead, dev is answering on KS comments.
The delay of several months already is also happening with Neptune Pine (smartwatch). They also keep communication with backers on KS comments.

For the project in the title, Antharion, I didn't back it so honestly never checked what's going on with it. Hopefully it's devs didn't stop posting in KS project comments.

In any case, I won't stop backing projects on KS because of a few delays.

I edited my post. When I said this game appears to be abandoned, I meant Antharion, not LoD.

And Joxer, I fully understand & expect delays. They happen. What I will not tolerate is bug-infested, obviously rushed releases, broken promises, & failure to communicate with supporters when the inevitable delays arise.. There have been several other issues with other titles as well. I may change my mind in the future, and I really hope I do. But I am going to be an observer now instead of a supporter. I want to watch what happens for a while before I give someone my very limited funds.

Antharion abandoned? I don't think so.

To date there have been 34 updates for backers. The most recent was 4/4/2014, before that 6/3/2014, before that 19/1/2014…
So, they've settled into an (almost) monthly update after a year and a half. There are plenty of KS that I've backed that are less communicative than that.

The most recent was about being accepted in Steam Greenlight, and likely release dates:
" And since we're frequently being asked for ETAs we're going to throw out some worst case scenario release dates… Release: Dec 5th 2014; Beta: November 5th 2014. Alpha September 15th 2014. Keep in mind that this is a very broad window and in all likelihood some or all of these ETAs will be moved forward in time to earlier dates. "

Antharion abandoned? I don't think so.

To date there have been 34 updates for backers. The most recent was 4/4/2014, before that 6/3/2014, before that 19/1/2014…
So, they've settled into an (almost) monthly update after a year and a half. There are plenty of KS that I've backed that are less communicative than that.

The most recent was about being accepted in Steam Greenlight, and likely release dates:
" And since we're frequently being asked for ETAs we're going to throw out some worst case scenario release dates… Release: Dec 5th 2014; Beta: November 5th 2014. Alpha September 15th 2014. Keep in mind that this is a very broad window and in all likelihood some or all of these ETAs will be moved forward in time to earlier dates. "

Wow not sure how I missed that. A little embarrassing actually.:blush:

Doesn't really change my feelings on kickstarters though. It just doesn't make sense to tie up my money for years when there are always good games being released. Might as well just wait for release or early access.

Wow not sure how I missed that. A little embarrassing actually.:blush:

Doesn't really change my feelings on kickstarters though. It just doesn't make sense to tie up my money for years when there are always good games being released. Might as well just wait for release or early access.

Well, that's the thing. From a financial point of view backing a Kickstarter makes no sense, since the finished product is possibly a bug-ridden nightmare, or the game will go on sale/become part of a bundle soon after release and thus be cheaper than the lowest backer tier was.

Instead, backing a Kickstarter should be about backing an idea and giving someone a shot at developing a game which might otherwise never be created. And some of those games could turn out to be great.

I have contributed to a bunch of kickstarter projects, and will continue to do so. One thing I will not do anymore is KS 1-3 person teams (i.e. indies). The risk of the product being abandoned/indefinitely delayed is much more dependent on one person's "real life issues" than on bigger teams.

Last edited:
Well, that's the thing. From a financial point of view backing a Kickstarter makes no sense, since the finished product is possibly a bug-ridden nightmare, or the game will go on sale/become part of a bundle soon after release and thus be cheaper than the lowest backer tier was.

Instead, backing a Kickstarter should be about backing an idea and giving someone a shot at developing a game which might otherwise never be created. And some of those games could turn out to be great.

It's true, that's the spirit of kickstarter and might actually have been the case in the beginning but the reality now is that it's pretty much a preorder. Very few people would give anything if they weren't getting something in return.( me included)

I suppose if a game needed my funds to get kickstarted I would pledge again but most ( that I fund anyway) exceed there goal easily and reach many stretch goals which only prolongs the development of the game and in many case aren't things I care about anyway.

I have contributed to a bunch of kickstarter projects, and will continue to do so. One thing I will not do anymore is KS 1-3 person teams (i.e. indies). The risk of the product being abandoned/indefinitely delayed is much more dependent of 1 person's "real life issues" than on bigger teams.

The Banner Saga did pretty well on a three man team. So far I've backed 22 games that were funded and about 10 that weren't. None of the games I've backed have let me down so far, although it is pretty telling that out of the 22 only 3 have been released so far, and 10 are overdue, many over a year and some a couple of months so far. I think it's a problem that Kickstarter "demands" a release date within a set time frame, I would have backed all these games even if it had said "late 2014" instead of july 2013. None of the games have been cancelled so far, and at least four of them are shaping up nicely (I've tried the betas), so I'm still happy I've pledged and will continue to do so.

Hell, I've been waiting 15 years for a new Baldurs Gate and a new Planescape Torment, I've been waiting even longer for a Wasteland sequel. And some of the games I had no idea I was waiting for (D:OS) but damn am I waiting now. And wait I shall, because I'd rather have a seriously delayed but great game (IMO) any day over the bland FPS, RTS, ARPG and other consolized, dumbed down crap that was all we were getting before Kickstarter came along and changed the scenery.

I'm not naive enough to believe that all the games I back will deliver what I want. It's enough that some of them do, and I'm positive they will (and some already have).

Last edited:
Speaking of the Banner Saga, I must say right now that's probably been my favourite game of the year. I was surprised at just how much fun I had with it, I certainly got my moneys' worth.

The Banner Saga did pretty well on a three man team. So far I've backed 22 games that were funded and about 10 that weren't. None of the games I've backed have let me down so far, although it is pretty telling that out of the 22 only 3 have been released so far, and 10 are overdue, many over a year and some a couple of months so far. I think it's a problem that Kickstarter "demands" a release date within a set time frame, I would have backed all these games even if it had said "late 2014" instead of july 2013. None of the games have been cancelled so far, and at least four of them are shaping up nicely (I've tried the betas), so I'm still happy I've pledged and will continue to do so.

Oh I'm not saying that small development teams can't do a good job. My point was that the risk of the project failing is much much higher. In a team of 20, someone leaves or gets sick and the project is delayed a bit, they hire a replacement, the others train him/her and project gets back on track. In a team of 3, removing any one piece is a catastrophic event.

It's not that I don't support indies, I do, but I put my money after the product is done, not before.

It is absolutely broken thinking that "one person/group on KS was bad/failed, therefore all KS developers are bad/criminals". Sounds like the kind of thinking that breeds racism, sexism, etc. Basing your opinion of everyone of a certain group on your experiences with a select few from said group.

Very few of the projects I backed failed (two that outright failed, I got a refund from). Some just did very poorly but are chugging along and will eventually release (and, seriously, I have tons of games to play as it is).

Hell, 2-3 major KS RPGs are coming out in the next couple of months and some others just did. Are you going to tell me Xenonauts was better off not made? Or that Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2 aren't a welcome breath of fresh air in a time bereft of big name RPG titles? Even Lords of Xulima is looking pretty great. Loving the alpha for it.

Speaking of the Banner Saga, I must say right now that's probably been my favourite game of the year. I was surprised at just how much fun I had with it, I certainly got my moneys' worth.

Exactly! ANOTHER game that might not have seen the light of day if Icefire and others of his ilk had their way. And, backing a bit more, I'm now getting 2 more games from these guys! Talk about a great deal only available thru KS.

Exactly! ANOTHER game that might not have seen the light of day if Icefire and others of his ilk had their way. And, backing a bit more, I'm now getting 2 more games from these guys! Talk about a great deal only available thru KS.

What "way" is that? Did you even bother to read everything I said? Did I ever say that KS should end? Did I say that NO-ONE should back any projects? No. I said I was going to observe for a while, and that I hope I change my mind. I was burned a few times. Congratulations on having money to throw away. I don't have that luxury. I & others put my faith in these companies and they screwed us. Forgive me for being angry about that. And just so you know, I have backed a few smaller projects, hoping to restore my faith.

Oh I'm not saying that small development teams can't do a good job. My point was that the risk of the project failing is much much higher. In a team of 20, someone leaves or gets sick and the project is delayed a bit, they hire a replacement, the others train him/her and project gets back on track. In a team of 3, removing any one piece is a catastrophic event.

It's not that I don't support indies, I do, but I put my money after the product is done, not before.

I am not sure any of the kickstarters of bigger devs are on track to make a really GOOD game though. Even 4 million is not a ton to a large team.

It seems pretty easy to weed out which ones will collapse. The code hero one was striking in its obviousness. If a smaller team gets more money they can always hire people.

… I think you missed the part where THEY MIGHT NEVER BE ABLE TO FINISH THE GAME.

There have been PLENTY of great RPGs that would not exist/be much worse. A list? OK! Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun Returns, The Banner Saga, Unrest, Consortium, Sunless Sea, Expeditions: Conquistador, FTL and MANY, MANY others (amongst many genres) Legend seems to be the exception not the rule here. But what do I know?

"Congratulations on having money to throw away. I don't have that luxury. I & others put my faith in these companies and they screwed us. Forgive me for being angry about that. And just so you know, I have backed a few smaller projects, hoping to restore my faith."

Congratulations on making assumptions about me when you don't know the first thing about me. I tend to only give large amounts to projects that are sure things (like Wasteland 2, Divinity:OS, Eternity etc) and small amounts to iffy projects (like Code Hero, Forsaken Fortress, Confederate Express, Moon Rift, etc) so, yes, I have also spent money on failures, but it's just obvious that you spend little on unproven devs. If anyone wants to make games, they can go work in the game industry and return when they have a few games under their belt (but some are flukes like Xulima, which I'm loving BTW).

Fact is, old school RPG gamers are one of the first to complain about publishers being evil and the industry ignoring them, but when an option like this presents itself, THEY ATTACK IT AS WELL!! The rhyme and reason? "Everything sucks!" I can be pessimistic, but absolute pessimism helps no one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom