Your favourite weapon in an RPG?

I have two favorites. Won't disclose games where those appear, it's just I didn't expect those to exist in there, both basically broke game rules:
Entropic blade and Operator's staff.

The Operator's staff is from The Witcher 2. :)

Not sure about the other one.

Well, crap. I actually wrote a post here 3 years ago.
What's with this necro?

Hmmm, I generally play mages so weapons aren't too much of a thing for me.

In books Stormbringer is pretty cool. That's the sword wielded by Elric of Melnibone of Michael Moorcock fame.

The BFG from Doom also comes to mind, but not an RPG.

You saying this thing didn't feel (borderline) overpowered in your hands?
http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Staff_of_the_Magi

I remember feeling so coo! when I got it. Although, it was more because winning the superhard fight in order to get it.

I never finished BG. I'm mostly a single character type of guy. Since I couldn't bang Imoen before we left Candlekeep I got bored ;) Killing Klod to do the Druid chick was fun though.

There was a sword in the Neverwinter Nights expansion Hordes of the Underdark that would drain health from your victim and add it to your own. It would occasionally talk to you if you clicked on its stats. It may have even been called Stormbringer. It was fun, for a while at least in early-mid game, to play with a weapon that was right out of Michael Moorcock's multiverse.

In AD&D remember Black Razor? It was in White Plume Mountain and that sword was so over powered for the lvl you get it. Around lvl 7. It was a rip-off of Stormbringer. Now that was a fun weapon to have in my teenage years with an evil assassin :)

You can get Stormbringer in NetHack. Normally when you accidentally bump into your pet the game stops you from attacking it - unless you're wielding Stormbringer.

There was a sword in the Neverwinter Nights expansion Hordes of the Underdark that would drain health from your victim and add it to your own. It would occasionally talk to you if you clicked on its stats. It may have even been called Stormbringer. It was fun, for a while at least in early-mid game, to play with a weapon that was right out of Michael Moorcock's multiverse.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Enserric_the_Sword

MEA chaingun, easy tear in pieces all your heroes with their ridiculous swords, gee really a forum of seniors hating progression of science.

There's one pretty unique weapon I really liked. The game it was in was rather crappy, but the hero's weapon was special. A medieval weapon type of your choice with its own character levels and the dialog of a proper sidekick.
The game Gorasul's still not really worth it, though. If you're curious about the weapon, watch al let's play. It felt like there was half of the game missing, like they ran out of money and had to slap the ending to the middle of the game. But I loved that weapon.

My second favorite is F.I.D.O. from Fallout New Vegas. A gun with the brain of a cyber dog. It growls when there are enemies nearby and whines when you put it away. I'd never thought I'd be able to call a gun cute, but that one actually is.

Of course there's also a certain talking sword from Baldur's Gate 2.

Last edited:
I like weapons with character that stay useful for a long time.

The Flail of ages in Baldur's Gate 2.

The two-handed axe Cloudcleaver in Morrowind.

The revolver Lucky in Fallout New Vegas. It uses cheap ammo and is useful throughout the game with the right perks.

Not an RPG, but I shrieked with glee first time I used the shrink ray gun in Duke 3D and then stomped on the tiny, squeaking little alien enemies nipping at my feet. I couldn't believe I was seeing this in an FPS game back in 1995!

Not an RPG, but I shrieked with glee first time I used the shrink ray gun in Duke 3D and then stomped on the tiny, squeaking little alien enemies nipping at my feet. I couldn't believe I was seeing this in an FPS game back in 1995!

The holoduke and laser trip bombs were very cool also, especially in combination.

That talky sword in the NWN expansion.

Enserric, that's the first one that came to mind for me. There's a way to get two of them and make it ridiculously powerful for some dual wielding action.

Enserric is the most memorable and comes to mind first but I can't really make a choice, not without going on a quest through a bunch of games especially BG/NWN to read all those descriptions again. Along with a few weapons from other series like Goldbrand/Eltonbrand from Morrowind.

YouTube embeds never work for me, either, except on the front page. If you View Source and find the code for it (e.g. 4vCdRo3xzBM) then use that code to search on YouTube, it will pop right up.

Doesn't work for me either but that's because I don't allow scripts from any but a few sites, even youtube unless I want to watch a youtube video.

Anyway it's a bit easier finding that code you mentioned by first highlighting the "loading..." and a bit of text just before it then choosing "View Selection Source" that way it will highlight the code or at least the "loading..." right after it.

another vote for Corsomyr and I think someone else mentioned Umbra to ES.

and i'll never forget my first lightsaber from KOTOR :)

Back
Top Bottom