Mass Effect - Drew Karpyshyn Interview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Drew Karpyshyn was interviewed about Mass Effect by tic games network.

<h4 style="text-align: center;">Drew Karpyshyn on Mass Effect[/h4] One of the things we asked Drew about was how Mass Effect came to be, including whether parallels to Knights of the Old Republic were intentional and trying to understand the overall process behind creating such a huge new IP. We also asked about what it was like putting together the team for Mass Effect.

He told us that “What we usually try to do with BioWare is we try to build on what we’ve done before. So there was a lot of the same team, some of the writers, some of the artists, a lot of the production people, from KOTOR, came on to Mass Effect. We worked well together, we had done a pretty good job on KOTOR, it was a already a big success so wanted to keep a lot of that team together.”

He also talked about the nature of the conversation wheel and how things changed with having a voice protagonist.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

To bad the old BioWare is dead as most old guard are gone.:'(

The full interview in podcast form but it's over an hour long.

Welcome to The Inner Circle Special with guest Drew Karpyshyn, Lead writer for classics franchises such as Knight of the Old Republic, Mass Effect 1 & 2, partner writer for Jade Empire and writer for upcoming new Bioware title Anthem. Check out our latest special as we talk about writing in the gaming industry, the technical side of story development and breakdown the classics and how they came to be.

Maybe but I usually read something while I listen to it.

Are there some interesting details in that podcast? (Or in what you were reading :) )

Are there some interesting details in that podcast? (Or in what you were reading :) )
It's the normal talk down memory lane but he does go into details where Mass Effect went wrong. They also ask him about the current direction of the company.

He goes on to talk about how story is different in MMO's, and writers getting credit for what they write. He then goes on to talk about what he's working on.

One comparison he makes is the writing of the Witcher III , and how it would have never been made by any US studio. Due to the cost of hiring the writers it's cheaper in Poland.

Then promotes his books and ends with how story is becoming less important to graphics. Of course there is more but I'm not a transcriber. So I'll end it here.:)

It's amazing to me that writers are that expensive in the US... Who knew :/

It's amazing to me that writers are that expensive in the US… Who knew :/
Compared to the Polish currency they sure as hell are.

Google Writers Guild of America because if you are a member you get a set fee for your work. It's the same with the Screen Actors Guild for voice actors. Gets expensive fast.

You could of course hire amateurs for a lot less, but it's not always a good decision.

Back
Top Bottom