Arcanum - Now Available at Good Old Games

magerette

Hedgewitch
Troika's classic steampunk crpg, Arcanum, now joins the catalogue of older games revamped for modern computers at Good Old Games. The price is $5.99 U.S.
Here's the announcement:
If you already know this game, you should require no introduction. If, for some reason, you haven't played it yet, you've somehow sidestepped a legend and should atone by experiencing it at your earliest convenience.

Arcanum is a computer role-playing game and at the same time the name of a unique world - a classic fantasy setting at its core, but intertwined with steampunk, with the world currently in the middle of an industrial revolution. Its creators took advantage of this by implementing a beautifully complex character creation system and having the world and storyline adapt to whatever character you have created. To top it off, you can travel the open-ended world as you see fit and complete quests in a variety of ways - from combat, through diplomacy, to plain thievery. It's simply one of the greatest RPG titles of all time. What more recommendation could you possibly need?
Follow this link to get all the information; and should you decide to purchase, help out the Watch through our sponsorship program.
More information.

Awesome game! Sure it had its flaws, but it is the best Steampunk game I have ever played.

I bought it anyway. I'm waiting for the Wizards&Warriors, Vampire Bloodlines, Vampire Redemption releases since they're published by Activision in the past.

At $6 I gotta pick it up. I've always been intrigued but never got around to playing it. I've always heard very positive reviews about it. How do the graphics hold up? I can't really peek at any screenshots right now.

At $6 I gotta pick it up. I've always been intrigued but never got around to playing it. I've always heard very positive reviews about it. How do the graphics hold up? I can't really peek at any screenshots right now.

definitely getting it when I get home.

I bought it anyway. I'm waiting for the Wizards&Warriors, Vampire Bloodlines, Vampire Redemption releases since they're published by Activision in the past.

I would love to see Wizards&Warriors released on GoG, I gave up trying to get my copy to run correctly in WindowsXP.

Finished Arcanum last summer (or was it two summers ago?) and it was great.

I would love to see Wizards&Warriors released on GoG, I gave up trying to get my copy to run correctly in WindowsXP.

Same problem. I want to play it flawlessly on my new rig.

Awesome game. Great setting (gotta love steampunk) + it has magic shrooms that heightens your perception (- i can tell they're users :p), what more could you ask for ;)

Meh. Arcanum is fun at first but loses its way. They had some great ideas but ran out of time or energy or something. I've started it several times and gotten part way through only to stop playing and then never picking that particular game session up again.

One of the games with the biggest handbooks I've ever encountered.

I remember it being incredibly unbalanced depending on the type of character you play. I think it got really easy and I just gave up. Was this as an isolated instance.

This game is an absolute must play for any RPG fan. In fact, you don't really count as an RPG fan if you have not played this game.

The only questions are of whether GoG has done anything with the game. High res patch? unofficial patch? I suppose as long as it is compatible with them, it's fine.

Man, I just love Arcanum. It was pretty imbalanced, but I found that was part of it's charm. Perhaps Drog Black Tooth's patch fixes some of the more imbalanced aspects of the game? Don't really know. But the character creation system is just awesome. Ah, Troika... :sniff: If I wasn't preparing myself for my very first Gothic II playthrough (that's right... the first!) I would start a new game right now. However, I do seem to recall that the game runs just fine on modern systems, no? So there's little incentive to buy it again...

As a matter of fact, I think I got the game to run on Vista a year ago. I lost one of my CD's though. But as luck would have it, I just bought a new copy of eBay, and it'll probably arrive next wednesday or thursday. I'll try to get it to run again, but I think that this is one of those cases where having an insanely bad graphics card actually helps.

Meh. Arcanum is fun at first but loses its way. They had some great ideas but ran out of time or energy or something.

Steam?

I've started it several times and gotten part way through only to stop playing and then never picking that particular game session up again.

I actually stopped playing it myself. Loved it at first, but I vaguely remember arriving in an elven town and then stopped playing. Maybe I should give it another try.

What? Steam ran out of Arcanum so now it's at GoG???? WHUT??? :)

Seriously, it's like every Troika game, a near-masterpiece buried under a blanket of flaws.

And it's the one game I find hard to recommend - it's a great RP experience but the combat system is horrible, the U.I. is clunky, the graphics are ugly - and not ugly as in it's an old game but as in it was ugly at release. I still recommend it, but it takes a bit of patience and perhaps "old school" sensibilities to enjoy it.

And I recommend Drog's patch with it, he really did fix a ton of stuff with his patch.

This game is an absolute must play for any RPG fan. In fact, you don't really count as an RPG fan if you have not played this game.

I played it for about 8 hours and didn't enjoy it, combat in it wasn't at all my cup of tea and that's important in any RPG.

Back
Top Bottom