Shroud of the Avatar - Video Updates

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Shroud of the Avatar has two more video updates in the last week.

Dev chat with Richard and Tracy!

Questions will be taken in the chat room for this one. Richard Garriot, Tracy Hickman, Chris Spears, and Mojito Spears will be on camera!

Pen of the Avatar

Our next Dev Chat feature with Stephen Daniele in Pen of the Avatar
More information.

I have to ask what your talking about. Is that some hidden code word?:S Ah wait it's Too Long, Didn't Watch. I get it the videos together are almost 2hrs.

Sorry the videos are not for you.;)

I have to ask what your talking about. Is that some hidden code word?:S Ah wait it's Too Long, Didn't Watch. I get it the videos together are almost 2hrs.

Sorry the videos are not for you.;)

Their updates are somewhat sleep inducing and when you do watch them you tend to end up knowing less than when you started. I'm sort of hoping this game will be like Guild Wars 1, as that's the best interpretation I can put on what they may have been saying up to now.

Their updates are somewhat sleep inducing and when you do watch them you tend to end up knowing less than when you started. I'm sort of hoping this game will be like Guild Wars 1, as that's the best interpretation I can put on what they may have been saying up to now.
I think Lord British just loves being on camera with the amount of video updates on the site, and kickstarter.

I think Lord British just loves being on camera with the amount of video updates on the site, and kickstarter.

The dude clearly loves the sound of his own voice.

The interesting question for me is wether this game will profit measurably from having Hickman on board.

I always look for the summaries of these videos. I'd like to watch them. But no way do I have the time. They also need to do a better job of editing because in a one hour video there is a lot of nonsense that unnecessarily bloats the time.

I always look for the summaries of these videos. I'd like to watch them. But no way do I have the time. They also need to do a better job of editing because in a one hour video there is a lot of nonsense that unnecessarily bloats the time.

There are summaries in the forums.

Then why comment?

Because, I think it would be better if they made more concise videos with better focus. Ambiguous and convoluted updates have plagued this project from the start. Do they really expect their backers to trawl through two hours of video in order to get some impression of what is going on? I'm sorry if you missed that point, maybe I should have made a two hour video on the subject instead :(.

Because, I think it would be better if they made more concise videos with better focus. Ambiguous and convoluted updates have plagued this project from the start. Do they really expect their backers to trawl through two hours of video in order to get some impression of what is going on? I'm sorry if you missed that point, maybe I should have made a two hour video on the subject instead :(.

Well, I think you missed the point of those videos....they aren't two hours of them telling us what they did. They are two hours of them answering peoples questions. The questions are asked during the videos...so, not scripted.

I found the second video where the artist made a drawing of Lord British killstealing a noob pretty interesting. And at least they have offices, kinda. Never really understood why the dot coms decided open plan was a good idea for software development, nor why so many other tech companies followed along with that. People whose job requires intense focus should never be immersed in an environment where there are so many constant distractions. Prolly explains why we're getting so much shovelware these days, right there.

Anyway, if these guys are gonna be cranking out 1 hour conference calls all the time, I suggest they liven things up a bit. The dog in video one was a step in the right direction, but I think they should consider belly dancers, instead.

——- edit

Shorter and more interesting Lord British video where his mic isn't even turned on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U07Adn24VKY

Garriott: 'Most game designers really just suck'

Yeah, they do. That's because most of them were hired to write manuals (the infamous Brenda Garno), do map levels(the infamous John Romero), work as QA testers, do webpages, or customer service, all of the later three of which Garriott currently has on staff himself if I'm not mistaken.

They weren't hired as designers. In most cases they were hired because they knew somebody at the company. Often somebody who was previously hired because they knew somebody at the company. So they're doing their low level work for a few years and doing the appropriate amount of brown-nosing and rubbing elbows with the people that are actually making the games, and somebody eventually decides they deserve to be promoted. To what position? They can't do art, and they can't write code. Oh, how about "designer"? And then of course they start feeling like they're real software developers and maybe they don't even need all these programmers, and maybe they don't need management either, maybe they should just start their own company and hire a couple "programmers" right out of school, along with a bunch of "designers" they know from all the other companies they worked at.

So not only do they get their "designer" gig without knowing a damn thing about making games, but in most cases they aren't even particularly bright. They got hired in the first place because they were nice and they knew people and they were willing to work cheap, not because they were creative geniuses.

It's a dysfunction and it exists only on the game side of software development. Producer is another bullshit title that doesn't have any legitimate place in software development. As Richard Garriott says himself, hotshot programmers are the source for hotshot designers. And they don't even need to be called designers, they can be called team leaders like it's done in traditional software development. It's stupid as hell to put people who know nothing about software development in charge of software development projects.

And that's why most designers just suck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom