Skyrim - The Races and Faces

I selected 1884 as the year I was born and I got locked out from the site!!!

Wait ... They actually PRESENT this year as a VIABLE option and THEN they lock you out ?

Shouldn't they have shortened their list (of years) instead ?

I hope we will see more variety in the NPC's...

Probably not until a modder fixes that. You know how it goes!

I do think that most of the faces among the human races look kind of samey without much differentiation.

There are big improvements from Oblivion…

That comparison screenshot sort of cherry picked the nicer ones among the batches we were shown for the Skyrim people.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there were any nicer ones among the unmodded Oblivion faces. :p

Apparently beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Or there is no accounting for taste. ;)

People are picky about faces, particularly in the ES games.

When we were working on the Better Heads mod for Morrowind years ago some people complained the heads made the npcs too pretty and others complained they made them too ugly. Now I could see one or the other viewpoint, but I was surprised at such radically different view points for the same heads.

I dunno, I'm leaning towards agreeing with Thrasher… More detailed/better texturing does not automatically translate to attractive. It might just be that last shot, but they appear dirtier/harsher.

Why pick a side? There are both great looking faces, that has personality and has good proportions:

http://gamentrain.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Skyrim-1.jpg

..and some really bad ones with idiotic proportions or just overall doesnt look very good:

http://piclair.com/data/qf3dn.jpg
http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/08/Skyrim-Wood-Elf-male-590x331.jpg
http://www.mlwgames.com/img/news_600/skyrim_dog.jpg

the comparison with Oblivion is also a bit lame, takes the worst faces of Oblivion and compares them to the better ones of Skyrim. Why even compare to Oblivion, didnt they make a game called FO3 which came out later, by the same designers, same tech? FO3 has both great faces and some really bad ones, it'll be the same in Skyrim, quite obviously.

Risen had terrible faces, even the devs acknowledged that in one of the more recent interviews. I don't think most faces in Skyrim are created randomly with their Facegen, but sometimes it does look like they havent put much effort in it..

Best faces ever made for a computer game is cleary in L.A Noire, wish that tech would be used for all games. Almost scary how life like it can look.

LOL! "terrible" You think they are worse than those at the top of the post? Must be if the devs thought so. The contortions people go through to defend Bethesda are amazing. But once again you've demonstrated to me why I should ignore your posts…

You and ChienBoyer are now in the same group. :)

Last edited:
Risen faces were soso. They are definitely better than Oblivion but not good as the Skyrim ones they have shown right now.

I say this as person who think Risen 2 will be better than Skyrim as game :)

LOL! "terrible" You think they are worse than those at the top of the post? Must be if the devs thought so. The contortions people go through to defend Bethesda are amazing. But once again you've demonstrated to me why I should ignore your posts…

You and ChienBoyer are now in the same group. :)

Didn't sound like he was defending them - but that he was pointing out their wild inconsistency in quality of faces for Skyrim. This really doesn't have to be so irrationally partisan.

The contortions people go through to bash Bethesda are equally amazing.

Lol, very true.

Personally I didn't fancy these faces but they do hint at great possibilities. And compared with the awful bloated faces of Oblivion it is a huge improvement.

Back
Top Bottom