Deus Ex: MD - Defeat Bosses with Combat, Stealth or a Chat @ GamesRadar

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Joxer spotted this article at GamesRadar:
Deus Ex Mankind Divided lets you defeat bosses with combat, stealth or a chat

Despite being one helluva great game, Deus Ex: Human Revolution's boss fights were a nasty bottle of plonk next to the balanced vintage of the main story. Eidos Montreal has already promised that it's leaned from its boss battle boo boos while still pushing itself to ask some really hard questions with its latest effort, Mankind Divided. In the latest issue of Official Xbox Magazine, gameplay director Patrick Fortier and narrative director Mary DeMarle discuss the importance of giving you the same freedom of choice you have in boss encounters as you do in the main game.

Considering the stark difference of quality between those dust-ups and Human Revolution's engaging story, it's so surprise to learn those battles were actually developed by a separate studio. Thankfully, for Mankind Divided, Eidos Montreal is firmly in charge. "It’s all about supporting all the different play aspects," says Fortier. "That was the main thing that was missing from the boss fights. Thematically, I think they were interesting, but certain players found a challenge there that wasn’t really catered to them." Mankind Divided’s bosses are much more balanced in this regard. "There are ways to stealth them, there are ways to beat them in combat and there are conversations you can have that maybe give you a different means of dealing with the situation altogether."

"You can also decide to do it lethally or not," adds narrative director Mary DeMarle. "For Human Revolution, because of the way we designed it, [the bosses] always died in the cutscenes. You had no choice. But we rectified that in the Missing Link DLC, and we’ve rectified it in this game." This means the outcome of your boss fight will directly affect the story going forward. Finally, true Deus Ex choice is ours!
More information.

That's great news. Glad to see we won't get those stupid no choice battles again.

While HR Director's Cut definetly improved boss fights (read: made them more interesting) it still wasn't really "compatible" with stealth approach in overall game.

Several different options in MD... I can't be more excited.
Where's the game already?

I'm very excited about this game, as well.

How do you beat a boss with stealth? Say, "You Who!" from the shadows as you lead them closer and closer to a cliff?

I can see bypassing a boss with stealth, but beating them with stealth alone seems silly, unless stealth also governs your pickpocketing skill and you do the old Fallout activated explosive in their inventory trick.

I don't see how stealth boss fights are really viable in a satisfying way(drop a 10 ton crate on someone's head to retain your non kill achievement…the crate did it!)…more like a means to avoid having them in the first place. I remember Dishonored doing something similar in that mission when you track down boss assassin.
I hope they ditch those cut scene take downs though.

How do you beat a boss with stealth? Say, "You Who!" from the shadows as you lead them closer and closer to a cliff?

Duh…. in a similar way that you could do it in "Dishonored"? :wall:

I don't quite understand that sentence from the quote :

Thematically, I think they were interesting, but certain players found a challenge there that wasn’t really catered to them.

Can anyone explain it for me ?
I mean, who is actually meant by "them" ?

"Them" were those who have chosen to use the stealth approach Alrik. In vanilla DX:HR (and HR DC tried to fix this without much success) there was no other way than to slug it out with bosses and you build your character differently for stealth than for an all out assault.

I can see bypassing a boss with stealth, but beating them with stealth alone seems silly, unless stealth also governs your pickpocketing skill and you do the old Fallout activated explosive in their inventory trick.

Maybe by doing the objective you were there for while bypassing the boss guarding it. Or by bypassing it and hacking the automated turrets (fallout 2 way).

Or by finding alternative ways of eliminating bosses. The only bosses that I have killed in Dishonored was Daud and Havelock and that was personal :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom