What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Speed Racer (via Netflix) - nice stylistic cartoon meets real world graphical cinematography. Everything else sucked major big time. One of the worst movies I've seen in a while.

Our local cinema got sold, renovated and re-opened, so we went this weekend!

My Sister's Keeper - I knew I'd never read it, so my wife told me about a bunch of it, which left me disappointed at how badly they'd screwed with the story. The core of the story is between two sisters, yet they change the very fundamentals of that relationship by completely changing the ending. Me no gets it.

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny - I had been wanting to see this movie for some time, as the various clips I'd seen looked pretty good. Alas, I really can't say I'd recommend it to anyone other than big Tenacious D fans. It just wasn't very funny, at least not to me. It did have some good music scenes, (the opening scene is excellent, with Tenacious D, Meat Loaf, and Ronnie James Dio teaming up for a cool music video-like sequence.) but the majority of the rest of the movie was pretty ho-hum imo.

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny - I had been wanting to see this movie for some time, as the various clips I'd seen looked pretty good. Alas, I really can't say I'd recommend it to anyone other than big Tenacious D fans. It just wasn't very funny, at least not to me. It did have some good music scenes, (the opening scene is excellent, with Tenacious D, Meat Loaf, and Ronnie James Dio teaming up for a cool music video-like sequence.) but the majority of the rest of the movie was pretty ho-hum imo.

I liked it quite a bit. It's a movie for metal/rock fans. School of Rock was also cool.

My favorite scene from Tenacious D is the final rock-battle with the Devil. Funny and cool at the same time.

*dum, dum dum dum, dum dum dum, I AM COMPLETE!! *
*FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK*
Hilarious scene. :p

The Collector
Turned out to be another "pointless violence" movie. No story in sight. The characters were just bags of blood to be spilled. The acting was uninspired. There's some interesting traps, but the Saw series does far better on that front. Unless you're really hard up for a mindless bloodbath, give this stinker a pass.

Glad to see your take on that one dte, I was strongly considering it for next weekend. I think I'll take your advice instead....

I was strongly reminded of Hostel, except this one was even more pointless. For some folks, that "oppressive torture" is the cat's meow, and I'm perfectly fine with that. For me, I like my gore to have at least a flimsy justification--like the Friday the 13th flicks, for example.

Finally got around to seeing Star Trek.

It was much better than what I was expecting, probably because of so many negative posts from the "purists" that had me thinking it was going to be complete crap. Most of the actors nailed their parts pretty well, especially Karl Urban, who I thought did a brilliant DeForest Kelley imitation. The plot wasn't great, but it was solid, and the action was good. All in all, I found surprisingly little to complain about.

Aliens in the Attic
The Twinkies had their birthday today and my choices were this or G-Force. I might have been better off with the stupid guinea pigs. This one didn't have much to offer. A few chuckles, and that's about it.

PS I Love You - while it is sappy and often cliched, there are enough non-Hollywood choices made to keep it coming, and Hilary Swank is just wonderful.

i love "The Majestic"

A drama by Jim Carrey. very splendid acting from him. ^^

Requiem for a Dream

Pretty good, but not Aronofsky's best.

I liked most of it, but I didn't think it needed to go "overboard" as it did with the mother and what happens to her in the hospital. Everything up until that point was quite plausible and demonstrates VERY efficiently why you don't want to do drugs. But no need to step out of reality to make your point.

G.I.Joe
=====

I am expecting tons of action but i'm still surprised by the amount noise and explosion from the film and Stephen Sommers probably outdoes Michael Bay in that regard. The story, dialog as well as the acting are pretty bad.

G.I.Joe
=====

I am expecting tons of action but i'm still surprised by the amount noise and explosion from the film and Stephen Sommers probably outdoes Michael Bay in that regard. The story, dialog as well as the acting are pretty bad.

I'm still thinking if I should go see it. I liked Transformers for what it was. Do you think it's worth seeing for just a mindless action flic? Is the action and cg good? The trailer I've see was pretty sweet. Is there more than that? Or are those the best part?

If you are looking for action i think yeah you would probably like it. The CG is real enough for me but i heard other people saying that it's cheap. The actions are quite over the top as in transformers, but with always something blowing up every 5 minutes, the intensity of it would wear off very quick.

Just got back from seeing District 9. Not a terrible movie I suppose, but if you're looking for something "different", then don't bother.

Just got back from seeing District 9. Not a terrible movie I suppose, but if you're looking for something "different", then don't bother.

Really? I'll have to see it for myself. Other people told me that it's quite interesting. And I read somewhere that this was initially supposed to be the Halo movie or something, and then they changed it to this. I may be wrong about that. I'll have to see it as it's got Peter Jackson branded on it, and I did somewhat enjoy King Kong.

GI Joe

Kinda tough to rate this one. Utlimately, Mrs dte and I both had a good time, so I suppose it succeeds on that level. And yet... The visuals are neat, but not awesome. The story is bland. The acting was adequate. There are so many logical holes that the whole thing implodes into utter lunacy if you turn on your brain for more than half a second (even simple things like numerous ships bursting into flame--underwater). But yet, we had a good time. I just don't know.

Really? I'll have to see it for myself. Other people told me that it's quite interesting. And I read somewhere that this was initially supposed to be the Halo movie or something, and then they changed it to this. I may be wrong about that. I'll have to see it as it's got Peter Jackson branded on it, and I did somewhat enjoy King Kong.

Well....if you actually liked Transformers and King Kong, then you probably would like District 9. It's got the same over-produced, glitzy, effects-heavy style as those movies.

Back
Top Bottom