What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 242 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

October 23rd, 2019, 05:28
Batman:Hush Excellent! All characters on point except for a feeble Joker, but he has only a minor part in this story. I normally hate changes to a canon story but in this case the changes are significant but logical.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2019, 08:17
Which batman? There are so many of htem now I keep thinking of adam west version…

Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
Batman:Hush Excellent! All characters on point except for a feeble Joker, but he has only a minor part in this story. I normally hate changes to a canon story but in this case the changes are significant but logical.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2019, 12:02
Originally Posted by you View Post
Well… I saw big short; movie had some interesting info but the actual 'movie' wasn't that much fun to watch - would have been better as a book.
I liked it quite a bit. I took it as a very entertaining way to do a documentary.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2019, 12:46
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
As for Terminator, i'm not sure people are falling for these feminist movement movies any longer. Many of them flop.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Sarah Connor is one of the most iconic female action heroes of all time, the other being Ellen Ripley. Would you cast a man in a woman's role?

But yes, I agree it most likely will be a below average movie from the trailer and what I have heard.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2019, 22:57
Removed three posts that are P&R material.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post

Eye

Eye Watch
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2019, 23:01
@bjon045
I don't mind movies with women protagonists (3 of them here). But when i get the feeling its politics, then i avoid it. Usually such movies or series does not get good reviews (see e.g batwoman) from users.. Remanins to be seen. No need to discuss it further
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

October 24th, 2019, 01:51
Well if I remember wonder woman did fairly well - anyway best to judge the movie for the movie and not based on the sex of the lead….

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/wonder-woman

@bjon045
I don't mind movies with women protagonists (3 of them here). But when i get the feeling its politics, then i avoid it. Usually such movies or series does not get good reviews (see e.g batwoman) from users.. Remanins to be seen. No need to discuss it further

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

October 24th, 2019, 08:49
Usually such movies or series does not get good reviews (see e.g batwoman) from users..
Sadly the reviews are in for Dark Fate and it seems you are correct.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

October 24th, 2019, 10:23
I'm not quite sure what's exactly going on.

If it's suggested that movie with strong females onsceen suck, then research history and film-noir "standard" femme fatale roles. How many classic film noirs suck? I dare to say none.

If it's suggested movies with strong female leads suck, that's plain wrong. From top of my head, a couple of examples where strong female leads made the movie great are A Simple Favor and Confessions.

If it's about politics and women, that second example is political and points to a problematc law (aka RL cases where underaged murderers never answered). The same goes for the third example I have to add: Frozen River, which is de facto about a woman fighting against gambling by breaking the law and nother woman helping her. Extremely political as it questions why the law doesn't care about gambling addiction while immigrants are stigmatized and unwanted for no reason except phobia, yet is a masterpiece obviously underrated by pathetic imdb users.

What I'm trying to say is that certain movies don't suck just because of course they do. Movies suck because you're chasing mainstream. Step out from it. Mainstream scripts are ignorant, dumb and shallow, from such material rarely anyone can make a movie that works. Don't excuse it by saying the cinema near you is running only freshly released mainstream movies and VHS/DVD rentals are gone, we've entered streaming anything you want decade.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; October 24th, 2019 at 10:33.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)

October 24th, 2019, 14:37
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
If it's suggested movies with strong female leads suck, that's plain wrong.
No one ever suggested that. There's a big difference of doing such movie with a very on-the-nose political motive or doing it because you have a great idea, a good cast that makes sense or seems interesting etc.

I'm obviously also all for true feminism, which is actually about equality and not about hating men (if someone remember), or claiming that one gender is better than the other.

[removed P&R line]
--
Last edited by Eye; October 24th, 2019 at 16:45. Reason: Removed the P&R stuff.

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

+1:

October 24th, 2019, 14:55
From a recent interview with Cameron..

"I never went to the set. I’ve yet to physically meet the new cast. But I was very involved in the writing and I was very involved in the cutting of the film."

To me that sounds like a man not 100% happy with the outcome, trying to downplay his involvement a bit, "i wasn't even there".
--

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

October 24th, 2019, 16:31
Once upon a time in Hollywood sure was a short film… said noone.

Starting tomorrow, Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to be re-released with 10 minutes of new footage! Wooohooo, more meandering, self-indulgent directing

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

October 24th, 2019, 20:59
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post

Starting tomorrow, Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to be re-released with 10 minutes of new footage! Wooohooo, more meandering, self-indulgent directing
Why? Did he need to add more close-ups of people's feet?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

October 25th, 2019, 01:44
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post

Let me start off with I have been a huge fan of Quentin, still mad my sister got to hang out with him for an evening a few years back.

I walked out of this movie…some of his movies i have seen over 20 times..i walked out….i will buy it when it comes out and re-watch.

Not sure if I was in a bad mood or …it seemed to bore the hell out of me…and Jackie Brown is my fav. of all his movies.
--
I can change almost anything… but I can't change human nature.

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

October 25th, 2019, 01:59
The Kitchen 9.2-10

loading…

Well, I am not a big fan of all this forced woked characters we have been getting when you can watch a movie like this.

Man these woman kick some very good ass. It is gritty as all get out, the story flows leaving you wanting to know more…

First thing i did when we were finished watching was to see what other movies the director had done…She been part of..

Sleepless (screenplay by)
2016Blood Father (screenplay by)
2015Straight Outta Compton (screenplay) / (story)
--
I can change almost anything… but I can't change human nature.
Last edited by Myrthos; October 25th, 2019 at 12:17. Reason: Corrected Youtube link

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

October 25th, 2019, 05:13
Originally Posted by CelticFrost View Post
I walked out of this movie…some of his movies i have seen over 20 times..i walked out….i will buy it when it comes out and re-watch.

Not sure if I was in a bad mood or …it seemed to bore the hell out of me…and Jackie Brown is my fav. of all his movies.
Nah, it's pretty damn boring for the majority of it. I really liked the last 20-30 minutes, but I had to sit through 2-1/2 hours of "wtf?" to get to it.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

October 25th, 2019, 08:29
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Nah, it's pretty damn boring for the majority of it. I really liked the last 20-30 minutes, but I had to sit through 2-1/2 hours of "wtf?" to get to it.
I found it my much laid back and meandering than his other movies, but in no way was I bored. I was also pretty tired when watching it, and I really liked the slow speed of it. There were also a few more tight and tense moments, aside from the great ending, but it was indeed less focused. But indeed, it wasn't my favorite of his movies.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

October 25th, 2019, 09:21
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I found it my much laid back and meandering than his other movies, but in no way was I bored. I was also pretty tired when watching it, and I really liked the slow speed of it. There were also a few more tight and tense moments, aside from the great ending, but it was indeed less focused. But indeed, it wasn't my favorite of his movies.
It also had a similar effect on me i.e. feeling a bit tired in a few parts but overall I loved the movie. How it captured the 60's/Hollywood - the people, the music, the locations. The story of all the characters and the dialog was top notch Tarantino. I happen to also of done quite of bit of reading and watched several documentaries of manson and his cult and so it was a subject I was particularly interested in as well. While I still enjoy more traditional popcorn movies I love it when a movie is a bit different. There were a lot of slow segments but I felt all the scenes were important parts of the overall tapestry. I find it hard to rank Taratino movies but I also probably wouldn't put it at no1. I plan to rewatch it but I will give it 4-5 years.
--

bjon045

SasqWatch

October 25th, 2019, 13:29
Originally Posted by CelticFrost View Post
Let me start off with I have been a huge fan of Quentin, still mad my sister got to hang out with him for an evening a few years back.
I don't know if he is still like this but back when he was doing the festival circuit he was always very available. He is just just such a huge fan of movies that he would talk to anyone with the same enthusiasm.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 25th, 2019, 13:57
Originally Posted by you View Post
Well if I remember wonder woman did fairly well
Well, Wonder Woman was an average superhero flick, where the lead hero has nice boobs and great legs - but that's it.

You could easily replace Gal Gadot with, say, Chris Evans, and you'll get the same movie (replace boobs with firm ass).
It could be titled Wonder Whoever, the totally unisex hero movie.

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread