Last game you finished, tell us about it

Just finished PF:KM earlier today. Verdict? The most enjoyable game I've played since the first time I played Fallout and BG. And compared to how much I enjoy those games today with different glasses on...PF:KM takes the top spot. The only bad thing is I can't play it for the first time again.

Just finished D:OS with the wife. Took us a little under 5 years, though we played in short stints with pretty big pauses in between. The current pandemic gave us the push to finally finish it. According to Steam we put in 124 hours.
It's an okay game, fairly linear actually, and the story is rather underwhelming, but I did find combat fairly enjoyable and it was nice to play co-op with my wife. We were happy to be done in the end though. :)

Probably starting D:OS 2 together next.

I'm not finished, but I'm definitely finished with Vogel's latest, The Queen's Wish.
It's not scratching that itch at all. I was bored shitless after a few hours, but I've been returning to it and never managing more than 30 minutes before quitting in disappointment.
I've managed 8 hours total. That's enough.
(Still looking forward to Geneforge remake, though.)

Other than that, been going through games that have been in my backlog for an age:

Binary Domain
Very dull first hour, then turns into something intriguing. Then the plot gets extremely silly in the last hour.
Shooter gameplay was fun, if occasionally repetitive. Ability to upgrade party members and have multiple dialog choices/endings was a welcome surprise. Boss fights that I didn't hate (often not big on those).
Gets 6.5/10 Shagadelics from me (i.e. nothing amazing, but worth playing).

The Darkness II
Played the co-op campaign about a year ago, which was fun but very short (about 2 hours, seriously).
Single player game was a delight. Gloriously gory, wallowing in misery, totally nuts. Interesting graphical style and narration. Interesting/fun powers. But once again, quite short (maybe 7 hours?), but not as short as I as anticipating. Might be worth running through again to try different skill branches.
It gets 8/10 Shagadelics from me. I want a sequel.

The Darkness II
Played the co-op campaign about a year ago, which was fun but very short (about 2 hours, seriously).
Single player game was a delight. Gloriously gory, wallowing in misery, totally nuts. Interesting graphical style and narration. Interesting/fun powers. But once again, quite short (maybe 7 hours?), but not as short as I as anticipating. Might be worth running through again to try different skill branches.
It gets 8/10 Shagadelics from me. I want a sequel.

The first one was much darker, better and longer. A shame it is only on PS3.

The first one was much darker, better and longer. A shame it is only on PS3.
I recently thought about buying it second hand (with consoles we are still a generation behind - soon to be two - in our household), but alas, I suck at playing shooters using a controller. :(

the surge - pretty good in the end, i hated it at first since you cant move while blocking, but went with light armor most of the game, so dodging most of the time. Cutting limbs was cool, the later areas much better but only 5 bosses, a big dissapointment; finished with gorgon set + mc judge fully upgraded :D.

Pillars of Eternity ONE

Big time Kickstarter backer with the books and the maps and the signed game and whatnots. But it just stood on the top of my bookcase, unplayed and gathering dust. DLCs subsequently came out and so did a sequel. When I pledged, RPGS were starting to make a comeback so I pledged big in the hope that this new interest in RPGS would be sustaining.

ya know . . . I don't really like the AD&D ruleset. I don't like overhead perspective. And frankly RPG games that you play with a party (fighter, mage, thief etc) just don't interest me as much anymore. Put me, alone, in a forest with a crappy axe and some loin cloth sans sandals and my only direction is to make it to town ASAP . . . . it may be to the north. Yeah, now you're talkin'

Anywhoze. POE1. 220 plus hours. Started in early Feb and just finished today.
My end game/ most game party was 2 rangers(me), Wiz, Priest, Paladin and Fighter. The music guy was pretty cool but I needed two good frontline fighters so I had to swap out music man about half way through.

Very steep learning curve, and I tried like hell to cheat and cheese but the designers weren't having it. The game had so many mechanics, I was literally learning new game techniques in the last few days.

There was a lot of reading which can add a lot of flavor to the game world. Sadly the writing was far to ponderous to make the game world come alive. And far too many times instead of embracing the moment I was fast clicking the dialogue.

The game didn't come together for me until, the last bounty-in the first set. It involved two waves of monsters that just kept kicking my ass. (the walking tree guys and the floating magic rocks) Even leveling up and adding to the party didn't help. What did finally do it for me was beating up the tree guys and then me and my dog high tailing it outta there and leaving my buds to beat up on the trees by themselves.

When the magic rock guys came around spouting wind and bees likes bullets we went to the other side of the map. While my buds were getting their asses kicked, Titan (doggie) and I were hanging out by the bandit camp site. When the baddies came by I would shoot and run. I picked off all three magic rocks like that with just a bit of patience. For me that was fun.

The bounty missions were the most fun because they were fair. The dragon missions were ridiculous. The game had a ton of good ideas but clearly they were undeveloped. But I hated that a lot of the populace were for the watcher to read them and that seemed to be a waste of time. Developing the keep and exploring the tunnels underneath was very cool but it all seemed incomplete.

The game engine was crap. A lot of waiting between locations and it was long waiting. However one good thing about waiting this long to play the game was that there were no bugs.

In any event, 2 months in the POE universe and I'm ready for something else.
Something new
from NeoCab to Cloud Punk (4/23) . . . . what???? maybe 40 hour total.

I'm not finished, but I'm definitely finished with Vogel's latest, The Queen's Wish.
It's not scratching that itch at all. I was bored shitless after a few hours, but I've been returning to it and never managing more than 30 minutes before quitting in disappointment.
I've managed 8 hours total. That's enough.
(Still looking forward to Geneforge remake, though.)

Interesting - this one in particular seems to get a pretty binary response. I liked it much more than that - not at the top of my Spiderweb list, but I have played it a couple of times now.

I finished the Reignited version of Spyro the Dragon 1. It's a faithful recreation of the original, and still holds up as a solidly fun game. Except for the final boss, who sucks. The entire game, you don't have any real issues with jumps, yet here you have a single pixel-perfect jump in a boss fight, with no save point after the annoying enough first part.

Just finished The Eternal Castle [REMASTERED], a CGA retro style cinematic platformer from 1987 (but not really :p).

Pretty short and pretty good, but a little obtuse.

Took me 24 hours to finish Far Cry New Dawn.
Got most of challenges done (except stupid ones like coop mission which is like wtf in this game), did all sidequests, explored all locations, found all collectibles…

The game is beautiful.
The story is okay.
I mean, no humor?!
Characters are acceptable, the only one I loved is the sidekick granny.
Speaking about sidekicks, 4 are great, 4 are useless.
There is some grinding involved, not too much unless you really want to.
Shooting is fun, stealth is fun, later unlocked saintsrowwy fist combat on steroids is fun.
Puzzles are very good.
The game offers some scammy pretend currency, I have no idea why is it there as you don't need any of it.

The game is a spinoff and as such I've expected it to be shorter than FC3. But it's full price is ridiculous, so if you buy, make sure it's 20 bucks max (I got it for less).
I've expected it to be at least TW3 DLC timewise, but sadly, it's shorter.
It's not better than FC3, but it's also not boring as are FC4, GTA5 and RDR2 - these three I recommend never to buy unless you need sleeping pills alternative.
Numerically, I'd put 6/10 - buy if you need a short shooter fix that has some RPG and stealth elements.

Oh and play with m+k please. Why? Headshots will save the day.

RavenSword Shadowlands

This is a tablet/phone conversion to PC. No bugs. Easy to play. 10 to 20 hours tops to do the whole game. The graphic are better than Gothic 1 but a tad less than Gothic 3. Engine is stable but there are some slight clipping issues. Two monsters I shot through closed doors. Hey if you can do it in real life than its okay in a game world to me. . .

I can only recommend this game if you want to do a kick back, super casual style RPG. Easy advancement. Only one story line with about 40 or 50 side quests. Only one town but there are a number of different terrains to play in. In the beginning the monsters can be kind of tough because the game is stingy with money. But if you save right, you'll be okay. Oh, there is respawn, but in a game stingy with money, what are ya gonna do? Loot wise.

I made the game super easy because I could not find the 2nd part of the first main quest objective. So I just wandered the whole game world getting stronger and stronger and by he time I went back to the main quest, I was like level 20 when I should have been level 7. In the name of the Father, And Son, and ME, amen.

And if you like exploits this game has a ton of them. Example: in order to go in stealth mode you press X. Not all presses result in a successful attempt. But if you do get a successful attempt you gain stealth experience points. So what do you do . . . ? You go out of stealth mode and repeat. Top of the morning to ya, I mean top of the stealth chart to ya.

My favorite exploit, in all RPG gaming, is to run from a baddie and then wait till they get trapped by a rock, cliff, tree and then shot the crap out of them until they are dead, dead, dead. Yep, can do here. Hey if you can do it in real life then . . .

Or you can go into a cave, shot the baddies until you are almost dead, get out of the cave and wait for your accelerated auto heal to heal. Go back into the cave where the baddies do NOT have accelerated auto heal and shot them some more. Bug out, auto heal, go back in, repeat as necessary.

See, for me, this if fun and funny. Die monsters, evil spawn maybe not today but the next time . . . I swear.

After 200 plus hours in Pillars of Eternity, this game was like tic tac toe. I loved it. Plus there are beasts in this game that allow you to fly. The game was kinda like a totally dumbed down Gothic game. I liked how you could climb buildings and mountains and go into areas you should not be in. So death was a possibility but hey, you did save, didn't you?????

The purist will hate this conversion garbage but it was there in my Steam inventory and was at one time on my Ipad. Ravensword was fun, and I'm glad I played it.

Just finished a replay of Pool of Radiance on Gog using the Gold Box companion.

I love this game, I really do. It was one of the first crpgs I played and a gateway to D&D. :)

It's showing its age of course. Some of the fiddly bits are annoying, but these are largely fixed with the GBC, which allows a quick recall for spells rather than having to manually select them at every rest, and also a "fix" command to heal party members (which was added into later games in the series). It also allows you to get around the racial level caps that meant non-humans became useless in later games.

There's a beautiful simplicity to the set up. You arrive in the city of Phlan to help retake areas from monsters. The different areas - the slums, Kuto's well, Mendor's Library, Valhigen graveyard - have different types of quest allocated to them by the clerk of the council. Wear disguises and take part in a monster auction, find lost books, clear out the undead etc. Some of the areas are complex, but the GBC has an automap if you don't want to break out the graph paper.

When I first played it, many years ago, the point where you finally open up the world map was jaw dropping. This opens up an overland section for exploration outside of the city, with further quests and hidden areas.

Eventually the quests lead you to a bigger evil of course, as is the usual way! The plot is fairly basic but satisfying.

Despite the different quests, most of the game comes down to a lot of combat. This is where the game really shines for me, although there are some minor annoyances. Combat is quite simple but fun, with a good range of enemies and spells etc. You do sometimes come up against 99 kobolds or similar though, which turn into long slogs of killing stuff with no real threat. And then, if creatures panic and run away, they can get trapped in different areas of the map and you have to track them down and kill them to move on. On the whole though the fights - such as the ambush at Sokol Keep, the final battles, the early fights in the slums, the undead etc - that are challenging and memorable more than make up for it. And wiping through piles of enemies with a fireball never gets old!

I mean, I love it, so there's definitely rose tinted nostalgia going on here. But it's worth a go if you haven't tried it yet and don't mind 30+ year old graphics and gameplay. I'm planning to take my characters into Curse of the Azure Bonds next and make my way slowly through the whole series - happy days! :)

Great post Pongo; big goldbox fan here as well of course, so it's always nice to read of others still playing and enjoying them. That first huge Sokol Keep fight always stays in my memory as a classic encounter. What kind of party did you end up finishing with?

I was thinking about Pool of Radiance the other day actually and stumbled upon this neat little sheet music performance clip of the main title theme. I'd recommend it for all aspiring musicians, D&D fans as well or fans of video game music. There's some Ultima stuff and other C64 themes in the chaps channel listing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQi8muP9Z9g

The spinning code wheel made my day actually. :)

Great post Pongo; big goldbox fan here as well of course, so it's always nice to read of others still playing and enjoying them. That first huge Sokol Keep fight always stays in my memory as a classic encounter. What kind of party did you end up finishing with?

I was thinking about Pool of Radiance the other day actually and stumbled upon this neat little sheet music performance clip of the main title theme. I'd recommend it for all aspiring musicians, D&D fans as well or fans of video game music. There's some Ultima stuff and other C64 themes in the chaps channel listing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQi8muP9Z9g

The spinning code wheel made my day actually. :)

I had three fighters, a mage and a cleric, all human; and a half elf fighter/mage/thief. It might be a few months before I start Azure Bonds, but I plan to swap one of the fighters for a paladin. I'd also intended to swap the half-elf for a dwarven fighter/thief due to the racial level limits, but now I'm not sure. His magic was really helpful - there's a fight towards the end with a dozen or so level 8 fighters that's really tough (and you go straight into another fight immediately afterwards) - his spells were instrumental in turning that one around. I'm trying to avoid cheating using the GBC, but I might keep him along and use GBC to override the racial level limits.

That link is great ;) I love stuff like that. On reflection, the Gog version didn't seem to have the title screen music - sound effects etc were fine but no music.

I loved the Gold Box games (and the Krynn games and all the SSI TSR stuff, really), and I loved Pool of Radiance, but one of my disks was screwed up and so I never got to finish it. Back then, you didn't install anything, you just literally made your way through the disks in order, and it was disk 5 or 6 that was borked. So I didn't know until months after I'd purchased the game.

Never played any of the Gold Box games, but your mention of Pool of Radiance reminds me of Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. And I can't find it anywhere. It seems to be abandonware, but can't run it on Win10. I never managed to play it properly when it was released, and I'd like to try it again. But alas, no one seems to sell a properly working version. Sad that these sorts of games just get lost to history.

Never played any of the Gold Box games, but your mention of Pool of Radiance reminds me of Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. And I can't find it anywhere. It seems to be abandonware, but can't run it on Win10. I never managed to play it properly when it was released, and I'd like to try it again. But alas, no one seems to sell a properly working version. Sad that these sorts of games just get lost to history.

Funny you mention RoMD because I was recently looking for that myself. I saw it on an abandonware site, but it looked like I'd have to jump through some hoops to get it running on Win 10, and I didn't think it was worth the effort. I still have the retail big box buried somewhere in my boxes of games too.

I wish someone would publish it on GOG. I want to see if still seems as bad as I remember.

Back
Top Bottom