The Cooking Thread

Some good tips on how to cook noodles, without them turning into a stodgy lump. These are the sort of videos I really like on youtube - people that can show you these little things that make the difference.

Here's one on a better way of cooking mushrooms, which I tried last night and it worked great. The idea is that you pan-cook the mushrooms in their own juice first, which drives off the moisture and causes their sponge-like structure to collapse. Then you saute them however you like, and they won't just soak up the oil and become greasy lumps.

We had so many leftovers from our family reunion that my mum whipped up some broccoli casserole that was simply divine! It was made with of course broccoli, a little feta cheese, beef, and a lite crust on top. I devoured it faster than I expected, next I might have to create one of my own.

Also, some folks might be cooking up a turkey soon. I agree with the thinking that says it's almost impossible to cook a large, whole bird perfectly - the sheer mass and the differences between the light and dark meat make it very difficult. So, I like to remove the whole breast and make a roulade with the stuffing, with the thighs cooked separately and served beside it.

If you've never cut up a turkey this way, I recommend practicing on some large chickens first. Then, if you screw up as I did, you just chop up the meat and freeze it for other uses, and try again. Once you get used to the structure, it's actually really easy. Then I stick thermometers in the roulade and the thighs, and pull them when each is ready.

One of the things I've learned the hard way is that things you might cook happily for four people can become an unholy nightmare if you try to prepare them for a larger number of people. Many things really need to be cooked and served immediately, and if you're trying to cook and also eat with your guests, you really need dishes that don't suffer from sitting around being kept warm.

One of my standbys is lasagna, but I tried these braised beef short ribs, prepared a day ahead. They were really good, difficult to screw up, and very happy sit in a low oven until you're ready.

Yes, braises or slow roast/braise combos work well for larger groups. I recently made Chicken Marbella, a 1990s classic and it was surprisingly good and very forgiving on service timing.

Lasagna is one of my go-to recipes, has been for decades. You can do so much with this dish, add and alter ingredients depending on how you feel and what you want that day, discovering new culinary delights along the way. I've not done ribs since my Maryland days, not sure I could pull it off now.

Yes, braises or slow roast/braise combos work well for larger groups. I recently made Chicken Marbella, a 1990s classic and it was surprisingly good and very forgiving on service timing.

I'll have to look into that one. :)

Cooked up some nice cod tonight. One of the things I've learned is that quality of seafood makes a big difference to the cooking, not just the taste. My favourite way to cook fish is to pan fry or grill it, but if the fish is from the supermarket, and probably been frozen and thawed along the way, that doesn't work out too well. That kind of fish just dumps its moisture into the pan, and sits there simmering in its own juices. It does not look like the pictures in my book.

I thought for a long time I was doing something wrong, but it really does come down to getting a decent bit of fish in the first place. I think the best bet with supermarket fish is to cook them another way.

Oh man, I'm a big fan of Atlantic cod. I bet that was good!

Tonight I'm doing a baked lemon chicken, rice pilaf, and snap peas. This is my idea of comfort food. =)

Had a bad one tonight. Had a ham that claimed it didn't need soaking to flush the salt. Yeah... it was like slices of salt, marinated in extra salt, with salt gravy. :mad:

I'm going to cry in my corner as Deli sandwiches, and homemade cheap pizza are all I can afford to make nowadays. As inflation and high prices are killing my grocery budget.

One quality fresh steak is almost neat $20 at every grocery store.:(

Cooked up some nice cod tonight. One of the things I've learned is that quality of seafood makes a big difference to the cooking, not just the taste. My favourite way to cook fish is to pan fry or grill it, but if the fish is from the supermarket, and probably been frozen and thawed along the way, that doesn't work out too well. That kind of fish just dumps its moisture into the pan, and sits there simmering in its own juices. It does not look like the pictures in my book.

I thought for a long time I was doing something wrong, but it really does come down to getting a decent bit of fish in the first place. I think the best bet with supermarket fish is to cook them another way.

If you are feeling a bit adventurous, you can try this. It's simple, but gives a completely different flavour. It's very rich, so don't do it too often.

1. Get half an onion and chop it into small pieces.
2. Get 4-5 small tomatoes (forgot their names) per cod fillet, cut in half.
3. Take cod out of fridge and make sure you keep it out for 10-15 mins so it's mostly at the same temperature (helps with cooking)
4. Medium heat on pan with a bit of oil and put the onions in until soft (usually yakes 5-7 mins.
5. Add the tomatoes ( be careful, they may pop), let some of the juice come out and then add the cod fillet.
6. Add soy sauce (my favourite is Kikkoman), enough for the pan to be covered throughout and reduce heat slightly (don't want the soy to boil/caramelise)
7. Add one tablespoon of honey on each cod
8. Make sure both fillets have soy, tomatoes and honey a bit everywhere (using a spoon)
9. Turn cod then wait until ready (I use one of those thermometers to check when food is ready)
10. Serve with rice (which will absorb some of the sauce too)

Hope you enjoy. I usually use Tesco Cod Finest Fillet or whatever it's called. But better when it's from fishmongers.

I did sauerkraut and sausage last night, since the day was a bit chilly I didn't want something cold for supper. This is a dish I've made for almost five decades now, and talk about comfort food that is also pretty good for you, sometimes I'll work in a small salad as well.

Sadly there were no leftovers, I slayed.

I'm going to cry in my corner as Deli sandwiches, and homemade cheap pizza are all I can afford to make nowadays. As inflation and high prices are killing my grocery budget.

One quality fresh steak is almost neat $20 at every grocery store.:(

Price of food is just going up everywhere. I don't eat meat but friends that do say the decent meat cuts will be the last thing to go, even it is less often, as a treat or dividing it so it lasts over two meals.

Having the luxury of time, we cook from scratch a lot but I would say there is at least 20% increase in our grocery bills over the last 12 months.

I did sauerkraut and sausage last night, since the day was a bit chilly I didn't want something cold for supper. This is a dish I've made for almost five decades now, and talk about comfort food that is also pretty good for you, sometimes I'll work in a small salad as well.

Sadly there were no leftovers, I slayed.

Sauerkraut - do you have German or Polish ancestors?

… This thread reminds me of something …

This recipe shipped with the game "Stonekeep" :

Tim Cain's Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
-----------------------------------------
They're the Shadowking's favorites!

1 2/3 cup flour 1 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves 1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs 1 cup pumpkin (half of a 16 oz. can)
1 cup chocolate chips 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted

Preheat oven to 350. Grease muffin tins (one dozen regular sized)
or use baking cups. Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves,
baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Break eggs
into another bowl. Add pumpkin and butter and whisk until blended.
Stir in chocolate chips. Pour over dry ingredients and stir until just
blended. Do NOT overstir! Scoop batter into tins and bake 20-25
minutes. After cooling, keep muffins wrapped in plastic to avoid drying.

This recipe is something I got from a calendar associated with the Opera internet browser, long, long ago :

Day 1: Opera Christmas Cookies!
1 c. light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
Directions:
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Prepare cookie sheets with cooking spray, butter or shortening.
* Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, blend well.
* Stir together remaining dry ingredients and add slowly to butter mixture, blending well.
* On floured surface, roll out half of dough at a time, to a 1/8" thickness. Cut into round circles with floured cookie cutters and make a hole in the centre. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
* Cool on wire rack and decorate with red icing.

Makes 3 dozen cookies!

In the German-language version of Return To Krondor, there was a recipe for Chai Tea, but I cannot find it anymore.

I have another German-language recipe of which I'm sure that it comes from an RPG (C-RPG) , but I just cannot remember anymore, which one it was :

Rezept
Die folgende Schriftrolle wurde einem toten Ork im Susswald von einem elfischen
Waldläufer namens T'Fal abgenommen. Die Schriftrolle war in einem Beutel mit
Halblingkörperteilen und Kekskrümmeln.
Schokoladenkekse der Götter
Zutaten:
1 Tasse Kalte Butter
1 Tasse Brauner Zucker
3/4 Tasse Zucker
2 Eier
1 1/2 Teel. Vanillepulver
2 1/2 Tassen Allzweckmehl
1 1/4 Teel. Backpulver
3 Tassen Geraspelte Schokolade (ca. 400 g)
Schlagen Sie die Butter und die zwei Zuckersorten, bis sie cremig sind. Rühren Sie
die Eier und das Vanillepulver ein, und zwar so lange, bis alles durchgemischt ist.
Fügen Sie Mehl und Backpulver hinzu und rühren Sie alles gut durch.
Jetzt geben Sie die geraspelte Schokolade bei und rühren Sie mit einem Löffel ein.
Formen Sie den Teig mit den Fingern oder einem Löffel zu kleinen Bällen. Jeder der
Bälle sollte ungefähr so groß sein wie eine Goldmünze. Die Teigmenge sollte ungefähr drei Dutzend Bälle ergeben.
So, jetzt wird es hart! Man platziert die Bälle auf einem Tablett, deckt sie mit einer
Folie ab und gibt sie über Nacht in die magische Kühlkiste. Der Geschmack entwickelt sich durch das Kühlen erst so richtig. Wenn man sich nicht gedulden kann und sie
gleich bäckt, darf man auch nicht erwarten, dass man Kekse der Götter zustande
bringt! Vermeiden Sie es möglichst, in der Nacht zur Kühlkiste zu schleichen und den ganzen Tag zu essen.
Legen Sie die Teigbällchen auf ein Backblech (oder auf ein spezielles Cookie-Blech,
wenn Sie darüber verfügen) und lassen sie 10 Minuten ruhen. Heizen Sie derweil Ihr
Lagerfeuer (oder Ihren magischen Ofen) auf eine Temperatur von 200 Grad Celsius
vor. Man sollte die Bällchen zirka 8 bis 10 Minuten backen, so dass sie außen braun
und innen hellbraun sind. Nehmen Sie sie aus dem Ofen und lassen Sie sie noch ein
paar Minuten im Blech fertig backen. Wenn Sie kein Cookie-Blech verwenden, verlängern Sie die Backzeit um ca. 2 Minuten.

A cooking secret right from the DDO Anniversary Party Quest/Challenge :

Attachments

• DDO Anniversary Party.jpg
    DDO Anniversary Party.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom