Baldur's Gate 3 - Differerences to D&D 5e - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Differerences to D&D 5e

Default Baldur's Gate 3 - Differerences to D&D 5e

April 7th, 2022, 13:05
Looking forward to play BG3 on release. Personally have zero problem with EA as I ignore games before full release and aside of noticing them Im not really reading any updates during development. But its quite clear to me out there is plenty of people interested to play unfinished projects and participate on betatesting and Im perfectly fine developers are taking advantage of this phenomenon.
Andrew23 is offline

Andrew23

Andrew23's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#21

Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

April 7th, 2022, 13:20
Originally Posted by Andrew23 View Post
Looking forward to play BG3 on release. Personally have zero problem with EA as I ignore games before full release and aside of noticing them Im not really reading any updates during development. But its quite clear to me out there is plenty of people interested to play unfinished projects and participate on betatesting and Im perfectly fine developers are taking advantage of this phenomenon.
You, go away with your rational and thoughtful statement!
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Black Geyser
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#22

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

April 7th, 2022, 13:54
Originally Posted by Andrew23 View Post
Looking forward to play BG3 on release. Personally have zero problem with EA as I ignore games before full release and aside of noticing them Im not really reading any updates during development. But its quite clear to me out there is plenty of people interested to play unfinished projects and participate on betatesting and Im perfectly fine developers are taking advantage of this phenomenon.
If people want to volunteer to beta-test games, that's their business, but what sort of sucks is what bjon045 mentioned - the "drip feed" of news coming out of an EA release. I don't expect RPGWatch or any other site to ignore news, but it sure was neat when you went to the store on the day of release, bought your game, and mostly had no clue what to expect.
Stingray is offline

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#23

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,495
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

April 7th, 2022, 14:17
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
If people want to volunteer to beta-test games, that's their business, but what sort of sucks is what bjon045 mentioned - the "drip feed" of news coming out of an EA release. I don't expect RPGWatch or any other site to ignore news, but it sure was neat when you went to the store on the day of release, bought your game, and mostly had no clue what to expect.
I can understand this sentiment, but comparing past and present is not matter of black and white. In past information streams were centralised and vast majority of games were developed under large publishers. I suppose everything has pro and con in this world.
Andrew23 is offline

Andrew23

Andrew23's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#24

Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

April 7th, 2022, 15:18
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
If people want to volunteer to beta-test games, that's their business, but what sort of sucks is what bjon045 mentioned - the "drip feed" of news coming out of an EA release. I don't expect RPGWatch or any other site to ignore news, but it sure was neat when you went to the store on the day of release, bought your game, and mostly had no clue what to expect.
It depends. If the game comes out of the blue as you say, it's a pleasant surprise when it's released.

But when the cat is out of the bag, as it often is, it can be interesting or exciting to follow the development in the general lines too. And since the D&D was a big criticism of that game and a concern for many, I thought it would be welcome and suggested it.

The title is clear, at least that gives everyone the choice to read it or not. But despite that, it had to quickly derail to the EA topic again. So much for trying to be helpful, lesson learned.

At least it's something to rant about I guess.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#25

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 5,092
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

Default 

April 7th, 2022, 17:32
Wish-listed the game in steam for a long time. I'm still waiting for a decent sale but anyhow, I'm in no hurry since it's not the type of game I would want to play in EA.
vanedor is offline

vanedor

vanedor's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#26

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Quebec city
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

April 7th, 2022, 17:54
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post

The title is clear, at least that gives everyone the choice to read it or not. But despite that, it had to quickly derail to the EA topic again. So much for trying to be helpful, lesson learned.

At least it's something to rant about I guess.
Don't take it negatively, it's nothing personal. If anything, for example in my case, I am very grateful of the job you do, with others, to relay lot of information every day.

I still think they came out of the wood way too early with that one but this doesn't reflect on you in any way I loved their last games and already bought this one because I know I will want to play it but when it's finished only.

What baffles me is the number of people playing this kind of games in EA, though. I am genuinely curious, what is the point? you spoil yourself, no feeling of discovery when the game gets finished, mechanisms will change..
Are you not afraid of getting tired of it before it's even complete?
Kos is offline

Kos

Sentinel

#27

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

April 7th, 2022, 17:59
Originally Posted by Eye View Post
Yes, others may enjoy the news. That does not mean those who are not interested have to be silent, they are free to say they are not interested, and also why they are not interested.

And you and others are free to keep sending these newsbits in, and news editors to post them.
The comments beneath a newsbit are no reflection of the amount of readers that are (not) interested in this kind of news.
There are more readers than writers.
I really value the work of the news editors and its one of the main reasons that I have spent so much time on this site the last 9 years. My comment was solely focused on Larian and this game, which I actually own, and hope to someday play. I just wish they'd spend less time on interviews and more time working on the game.
Last edited by forgottenlor; April 7th, 2022 at 19:02.
forgottenlor is offline

forgottenlor

forgottenlor's Avatar
Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

#28

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

Default 

April 7th, 2022, 18:23
Indeed. I'm another that truly appreciates all the work that goes on here, even if it's not for a game that I'd enjoy, I certainly have made lots of purchasing decisions based on what I've learned at this site. May it never wane!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#29

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 15,501
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

Default 

April 7th, 2022, 19:57
Originally Posted by Kos View Post
Don't take it negatively, it's nothing personal. If anything, for example in my case, I am very grateful of the job you do, with others, to relay lot of information every day.

I still think they came out of the wood way too early with that one but this doesn't reflect on you in any way I loved their last games and already bought this one because I know I will want to play it but when it's finished only.

What baffles me is the number of people playing this kind of games in EA, though. I am genuinely curious, what is the point? you spoil yourself, no feeling of discovery when the game gets finished, mechanisms will change..
Are you not afraid of getting tired of it before it's even complete?
Your earlier comment actually made me smile (and was on topic). Though I'm sure WolfheartFPS was already a big fan before they invited him so I don't think they needed to buy anything. From what I saw he's not really biased in his videos.

I don't take any of it personally (and I don't think HiddenX does either). I'm just perplexed. My point of view is just that of a reader, I note we can't expect to have a decent thread on any topic about several games that I like (BG3 is one of them), simply because the same selfish pattern occurs again and again. No big deal, I'll just avoid them here, I know it's not the right place for that anymore.

The point of EA or alpha/beta testing… I can't elaborate that since it would really send the thread over the edge. It's just a different experience, for sure. As for BG3 I only tried it at the beginning like Pladio and others, because I was curious, but I'm waiting until the release too.

The differences from D&D were bothering me a little bit at first when I saw them, but I'm sure they'll manage to make it enjoyable, if not entirely faithful.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#30

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 5,092
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

April 7th, 2022, 21:31
It seems like we have this discussion in every BG3 thread. However I just can't resist to answer.

Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
If people want to volunteer to beta-test games, that's their business, but what sort of sucks is what bjon045 mentioned - the "drip feed" of news coming out of an EA release. I don't expect RPGWatch or any other site to ignore news, but it sure was neat when you went to the store on the day of release, bought your game, and mostly had no clue what to expect.
But… you still can do exactly this! It's not that your brain is hard-wired to the RPGWatch newsfeed force-pressing the infos into your mind.
You can just not click on BG3's newsbits, or (like me) just browser the thread and see if the fellow watchers filtered some remarkable infos.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Black Geyser
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#31

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

April 7th, 2022, 22:30
I have lost track what this thread is about.

The vast amount of our readers do not go any further than the front page.
(No matter how good the title, no matter how interesting/enthusiastic the comments are. No matter how much popcorn is being eaten.)
And there are times, now is one of them, I just wish I was one of those readers.

I am taking the evening/night off. Fighting tiresome flashbacks that I got after reading the above.
--
Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Last edited by Eye; April 7th, 2022 at 23:58. Reason: Deleted superfluous line.
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#32

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,611
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)

Default 

April 7th, 2022, 23:12
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
But… you still can do exactly this! It's not that your brain is hard-wired to the RPGWatch newsfeed force-pressing the infos into your mind.
You can just not click on BG3's newsbits, or (like me) just browser the thread and see if the fellow watchers filtered some remarkable infos.
It is a good point but it is also a bit more naunced than that.

RPGWatch is also a community and members like to be involved in the discussions. People don't want to be left out sometimes.

Also Baldurs Gate is one of the premier franchises (Top 5 for most of us) in the cRPG community. It naturally draws your attention even if you don't want it to.

I do still feel like BG3 does have a sense of suprise for people who haven't played it in the EA. The good news is that they don't really get into the story all that much. I find it a little bit unfortunate that I know how the adventure starts but that is pretty much all I know and I plan to keep it that way. It's good that RPGWatch hasn't posted any significant spoilers yet.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.
bjon045 is offline

bjon045

bjon045's Avatar
SasqWatch

#33

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sigil
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2022, 02:56
We need more canned statements in this thread.

Why would you have a genuine opinion, if you can aim to get +1 from a random person on the internet?


Here is mine: Baldur's Gate 3 will be fun for the people who like it. It will not be fun for the people who don't like it. I am making sense and adding good punctuation to my sentences. Sometimes a thing is more than the sum of its parts. You miss all the shots you don't take. I am such a good forum contributor. How thrilling.
--
Who am I? I am the only way the Universe has to feel, to dream, and to be aware of itself.
Nereida is offline

Nereida

Nereida's Avatar
Fallen Aasimar

#34

Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2022, 03:56
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
I am such a good forum contributor. How thrilling.
A +1 for this amazing contributor.
Stingray is offline

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#35

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,495
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2022, 08:59
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
It is a good point but it is also a bit more naunced than that.

RPGWatch is also a community and members like to be involved in the discussions. People don't want to be left out sometimes.

Also Baldurs Gate is one of the premier franchises (Top 5 for most of us) in the cRPG community. It naturally draws your attention even if you don't want it to.
I can understand that. If it was for me, the BG3 "drip news" could just disappear from the watch. But as Eye pointed out, there are for sure a lot readers who like these news.
And it's easer for me to just not read them than for these other readers to search for the news elsewhere.

It's good that RPGWatch hasn't posted any significant spoilers yet.
Yep, that's really important.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Black Geyser
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#36

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2022, 10:16
I don't like 5th edition D&D, period. There was nothing wrong or difficult to understand about THAC0, it just is a sad reflection on the dumbing down of society, in general.
(That some find this "too difficult" - a straightforward combat system mechanic - to understand.

I think D&D, as it has "evolved", just my general impressions are, it has gotten worse, not better.

It is a good thing to have rigid and specific class abilities and requirements in order to make each class distinct and unique, in my opinion, for an example. Watering down this concept, by making classes more able to use abilities, spells and themes from other classes, just makes the whole system worse and is the opposite of the correct direction. *end of mini-rant*
--
"The old ways are lost," you sang as you flew
And I wondered why -- Loreena McKennitt - The Old Ways
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404
Arkadia7 is offline

Arkadia7

Arkadia7's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#37

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pacific NorthWest, USA!
Posts: 1,999
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2022, 10:36
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
It is a good thing to have rigid and specific class abilities and requirements in order to make each class distinct and unique, in my opinion, for an example. Watering down this concept, by making classes more able to use abilities, spells and themes from other classes, just makes the whole system worse and is the opposite of the correct direction. *end of mini-rant*
I thought the idea of 5E was to make characters more customizable with feats & abilities, which are more significant than before, instead of a multitude of subclasses?

I enjoy the more versatile classes, but I find it somewhat watered down in general too. I prefer the complexity of 3E or Pathfinder, except there's too much buffing/debuffing.

Maybe 5E is better for board games where you can really RP a personality with its flaws & qualities. Video games don't have this dimension.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#38

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 5,092
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

April 8th, 2022, 10:53
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
I thought the idea of 5E was to make characters more customizable with feats & abilities, which are more significant than before, instead of a multitude of subclasses?

I enjoy the more versatile classes, but I find it somewhat watered down in general too. I prefer the complexity of 3E or Pathfinder, except there's too much buffing/debuffing.

Maybe 5E is better for board games where you can really RP a personality with its flaws & qualities. Video games don't have this dimension.
I am not sure what the main idea of 5E is, to be honest, I don't play D&D for decades now.

I was just stating my general impressions from what I have read and seen of the new editions of D&D. I do know there was a revival of 3rd edition of D&D and I think it was because a response to this new version of D&D that many people didn't like.

And I think Pathfinder also was a response to that, if I'm not mistaken, and I like the Pathfinder system from what I have seen in the Kingmaker video game and reading about it.

I do agree with you about the difference between video game rules, specifically the limitations, and possible changes that need to be done, and what is better or makes more sense for a tabletop type game session.
--
"The old ways are lost," you sang as you flew
And I wondered why -- Loreena McKennitt - The Old Ways
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404
Arkadia7 is offline

Arkadia7

Arkadia7's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#39

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pacific NorthWest, USA!
Posts: 1,999
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Default 

April 8th, 2022, 11:31
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
I am not sure what the main idea of 5E is, to be honest, I don't play D&D for decades now.

I was just stating my general impressions from what I have read and seen of the new editions of D&D. I do know there was a revival of 3rd edition of D&D and I think it was because a response to this new version of D&D that many people didn't like.

And I think Pathfinder also was a response to that, if I'm not mistaken, and I like the Pathfinder system from what I have seen in the Kingmaker video game and reading about it.
I think you're right about Pathfinder, from what I read it spun out because 4E had too many changes and felt too different, being made by WoC a few years after they bought TES.

The Open Gaming Licence by WoC on 3 & 3.5 allowed many 3rd-party adventures (Paizo was making some of them) and people kept playing 3 and 3.5. Then Pathfinder branched out from there to address some issues (according to this old link).

I read that 5E was created to give the original feeling back, ironically, and undo the changes in 4E.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#40

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 5,092
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Differerences to D&D 5e
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:41.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch