April 17th, 2022, 14:50
great review, subbed

Telstar

CRPG lover

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 17th, 2022, 17:28
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
great review, subbed
I have been a sub of this channel for some time now, he is quite good. I recommend his channel, WolfheartFPS, and Fextralife.

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

April 17th, 2022, 19:21
The two written reviews I've seen are not very good:

TechRaptor: 5
Lost Valley brings with it a new campaign, subclass options, and enhancements to the Dungeon Maker system. While there's a lot of content within the campaign, the fetch quest style progression didn't offer much in terms of a grand adventure, instead leaving players feeling like they're completing a list of chores.
Pros: Subclass Options, Dungeon Maker
Cons: Lackluster Story

Turn-Based Lovers: 6
The Lost Valley DLC doesn't add much to the game. The new subclasses are definitely its main feature, and these do add replayability, being overall well-made. However, the campaign itself is weak, even when compared to the original - lacking in both story and level design.
Good: Interesting subclasses, which add replayability. A new official campaign
Bad: Weak story, even compared to the original. Level design is not up to par with the core game

Added to the inconsistencies Mortismal is talking about, I wonder how quickly they made this DLC.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

April 17th, 2022, 21:40
Originally Posted by gabrielarantest View Post
I have been a sub of this channel for some time now, he is quite good. I recommend his channel, WolfheartFPS, and Fextralife.
I already knew the other two channels you mentioned.

Telstar

CRPG lover

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 18th, 2022, 03:29
Seems like there's plenty of fetch quests in the first game as well. It's mainly the combat and tactical exploration that make it interesting.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

April 18th, 2022, 04:22
What is tactical exploration?

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

April 18th, 2022, 06:15
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
What is tactical exploration?
I guess he means exploring maps & dungeons.

Just finished a large dungeon tonight. Pretty fun to explore and enough challenging fights.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:

April 18th, 2022, 10:05
I'd be curious to read opinions here on the story/quest part. Those two written reviews seem to have a completely different conclusion than one or two videos I've watched, but they were not really focused on that.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
+1:

April 18th, 2022, 13:40
I enjoy the DLC a lot. The story is nothing special which is how I like it. The quests could be more interesting though.

The zones and the dungeons are nicely done though and the exploration is good. They get the itemization perfect and you do have to go back to some zones when you get another level or two, so you can survive certain fights.

The main reason to get the DLC is for the dungeon maker and the subclasses. Also, for the new creatures. Fire giants look fantastic and the trolls. Someone has already made The Temple of Elemental Evil and it looks great with all the new features. He's a fantastic map maker and all his dungeons have been top notch so far.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

April 18th, 2022, 15:12
I like how you can actually choose your side in the DLC campaign. An "evil" playthrough could be pretty fun.

But yes, expect the same fetch quests and wooden dialogs as the regular campaign. Once again, they are a little heavy on the verticality. I could not imagine a swamp with so many stone column to topple and wooden platforms. Sometimes, it almost have a Mario Bros feel with all the jumping!

Still, despite all these flaws, it's still very worth it to me and a must buy for everyone who enjoy the original campaign.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

April 18th, 2022, 18:06
Originally Posted by vanedor View Post
But yes, expect the same fetch quests and wooden dialogs as the regular campaign.
Yes the dialog was pretty wooden. I did like their idea of using personality flags to determine available character responses though. I found it adds to the replayability.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

+1:

April 18th, 2022, 18:26
I usually sit on the fence these days and wait for all the content to be out with a game like this, yet that heavy discount is rather tempting. And, of course, the absolute showering of praise.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
+1:

April 18th, 2022, 19:46
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I did like their idea of using personality flags to determine available character responses though. I found it adds to the replayability.
I'm not sure about that. For me, I felt these were mostly "cosmetic" with little impact on the game. I miss the possibility of recruiting different characters like in Baldur's Gate and imo, not having a main character lessens the story.

I believe where the game truly shines, for the replayability, is its Campaign creator. A game such as Pathfinder got a lot of replayability in term of class / races / paths to choose from. Yet, I know I won't ever play most of them since it would involve restarting that long winded 150-200 hours long campaigns.

With Solasta, you get plenty of free campaigns that are 10 hours and less. Some of them are even better than the original campaign. Just like Neverwinter Nights, back then. Plenty of opportunities to try all these new classes/sub-classes they have been adding!
Last edited by vanedor; April 18th, 2022 at 21:28.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

April 18th, 2022, 21:08
Originally Posted by vanedor View Post
I'm not sure about that. For me, I felt these were mostly "cosmetic" with little impact on the game. I miss the possibility of recruiting different characters like in Baldur's Gate and imo, it lessens the story by not having a main character.
Yes they were mostly cosmetic, but they did give the characters a role-playing persona so it felt like a good addition. I suppose it's a matter of taste. Recruiting specific characters can provide a stronger story but it is also more constraining.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

April 19th, 2022, 02:13
That comment about going back into a jail and finding prisoners magically appear - I just saw plenty of that in Greedfall!

I found a half-hidden path toward a "gloomy cave" once. I noticed quite a bit of blood on the ground at the mouth of the cave and a couple of dead bodies inside. Some days later - hey, there's this young couple that seem to have gotten lost, could you go find them? Yep. I know exactly where they are. Sure enough, the young couple that just wandered off were the dead people I found days earlier.

Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I usually sit on the fence these days and wait for all the content to be out with a game like this, yet that heavy discount is rather tempting. And, of course, the absolute showering of praise.
Yeah, this one is getting pretty hard to resist!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Solasta - Lost Valley DLC Review