ELEX - Some Thoughts

The examples are valid enough, but that also means only The Witcher 3 is actually polished among the big, open world RPGs available on PC.

Witcher 3 isn't perfect either. No game is. And regardless those miniscule issues do not warrant a "really unpolished" tag.

Witcher 3 isn't perfect either. No game is. And regardless those miniscule issues do not warrant a "really unpolished" tag.

No, it isn't, but it's certainly polished. It's the only game of such scope I can think of that doesn't have things like a dude with a bow asking you to find a bow. Even way back in Gothic 2, Dragomir would ask the player to find his missing crossbow despite being equipped with a decent weapon already. Skyrim, Fallout and so on have loads of quests and issues that make no sense.

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find weird things in Witcher 3. Like respawning drowners.

No game is perfect, period.

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find weird things in Witcher 3. Like respawning drowners.

No game is perfect, period.
It's not about perfection but about not being blind to flaws...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I would say Fallout 4 has way more shitty things than ELEX. If ELEX is unpolished what is Fallout 4 then?

It's not about perfection but about not being blind to flaws…

Are you reading the thread? Gwendo said the game is "really unpolished" and then proceeded to give examples equivalent to a grain of sand missing on the beach.

So no, it's not about being "blind to flaws" (who is blind to flaws anyway? I've found many things in ELEX that could be improved, anyone who plays can), it's about being honest and forthright in your description of the game.

It is far from unpolished. And if those hairs out of place on an NPC's head equal a "really unpolished" game, then a proper game really has never been made.

Oh yeah and then you go to the spot he said he dropped the bow and foirst stumble upon a troll then go back avoid that miniboss go for a bow and two hard to kill trashmobs are guarding the bow…
I love this game! :D

Yes, that was a lesson in 'don't assume it's easy' I arrived, tried to melee them and died ;-) Eventually when I got a decent ranged attack - I just sniped them to death from above. Oddly enough they didn't have any ranged weapons (unlike F'ing mutants spitting raptors and what not).

I am a big fan of this game and I will recommend it to anyone even in its current state but I won't call the game polished at all. It does also has CTD bugs as well.

When it comes to exploration and atmosphere, this game is miles ahead of Skyrim and Witcher 3. Maybe its the hard combat at the beginning but something makes you respect and fear the world. Always keeping you alert and on the look out for danger around the corner.

Yes the story and dialogues are sub par but it doesn't seem to bother me much since I am too busy mucking about in the world. In fact I am glad this game doesn't have Witcher 3 style story (which I loved) since that will get in the way of things here.

Yet, you're being petty to me for having my own opinion about the game that doesn't suit your views.

They are off putting to me and believe me that I wasn't searching for negatives to talk about the game. I was clear that I was enjoying the game. But it seems that for you, the game is perfect, there's no flaws and no one should say anything negative about it. Ignore the facts just because the game has a smaller budget and manpower behind it, compared to AAA games.

This is his M.O. about just every opinion of his. He's got his view and it's got to be the best one around; he won't accept different points of view and will get passive agressive if you try to discuss politely. I have never seen him concede a point or agree with an oposing argument once his opinion is set. It's like a bull or a tunnel vision, it borders obsession to me.

That said, he looks like a pretty nice guy - albeit a little naive at times, but that's not necessarily bad - and, if you disagree with him, the best course of action is ignoring him, there's no such thing as convincing him. In other words, just try not to oppose or argue.

Excellent. CohhCarnage is a high profile streamer. Makes the bed of those who claim that streamers'opinion is irrelevant.

Now, about CohhCarnage, he is highly professional. He has been streaming for four years (and some days) every day without missing one day.
Streamers trade themselves as having fun. Basically, products are meant to be fun from the start. There might be one product or two products he failed to find fun over the past four years. All in all, by trade, as a streamer, products are meant to be fun.
Other recent products he had fun with: ME:A and Shadow of War.

This is his M.O. about just every opinion of his. He's got his view and it's got to be the best one around; he won't accept different points of view and will get passive agressive if you try to discuss politely. I have never seen him concede a point or agree with an oposing argument once his opinion is set. It's like a bull or a tunnel vision, it borders obsession to me.

That said, he looks like a pretty nice guy - albeit a little naive at times, but that's not necessarily bad - and, if you disagree with him, the best course of action is ignoring him, there's no such thing as convincing him. In other words, just try not to oppose or argue.
Passive aggressive only?
I guess you missed his rampage on the forums here few months back over Demons Age alpha.

Fluent has two states: Super happy, everything is perfect over games he likes. And full rampage, burn it all to the ground over games he does not like (which atm seems to only be alpha version of Demons Age).

Define 'polished'. Skyrim and the Fallouts weren't exactly 'polished' IMO.
Polished, even though often used, is not appropriate.

Polished suggests that even minor inconveniences are eliminated. Less and less vid products can aim for that target.

Skyrim was not polished. Now Skyrim was in an accomplished state: the major features to drive the experience were established and secured.

It is not the case for this product. One example is the combat system that works to the opposite: strong enemies are supposed to deter aggression. The combat system, though, leaks. Players can cheese their way in fights. Instead of being deterred, players feel challenged and keep taking on higher level enemies, knowing they can beat them.

Skyrim was not polished. Now Skyrim was in an accomplished state: the major features to drive the experience were established and secured.

What do you claim as the major feature was in Skyrim?

It is not the case for this product. One example is the combat system that works to the opposite: strong enemies are supposed to deter aggression. The combat system, though, leaks. Players can cheese their way in fights. Instead of being deterred, players feel challenged and keep taking on higher level enemies, knowing they can beat them.

How does it leak? Are you claiming that getting companions or other monster to fight each other leaking?

The way combat leaks was already documented.

One example of major feature in Skyrim: exploration. Exploration was well set from the start. It was not polished but it was an accomplished feature.

Passive aggressive only?
I guess you missed his rampage on the forums here few months back over Demons Age alpha.

Fluent has two states: Super happy, everything is perfect over games he likes. And full rampage, burn it all to the ground over games he does not like (which atm seems to only be alpha version of Demons Age).

I missed that thread, I'll take a look.

As for the game, it's clear that it has a host of bugs, quirkiness and overall unpolish. I recommend gameranx's before you buy ELEX. That review nailed it, in my opinion.

elex is low quality, if it comes from lack of resources / priorities or just plain stupidity from the designers its irrelevant

I'm also low quality. Are you saying I lack of resources / my parents were stupid?
Or that my quality is irrelevant? :D

I'm sure that your parents tried hard joxer. Alas… :lol:

Last edited:
All I was trying to say is that not everything has to be Philantropica to enjoy it. I would love more humor in Elex, but cmon, the game is fun enough even without it - it just won't get 10/10 from me. Big deal. ;)

Yes, that was a lesson in 'don't assume it's easy' I arrived, tried to melee them and died ;-) Eventually when I got a decent ranged attack - I just sniped them to death from above. Oddly enough they didn't have any ranged weapons (unlike F'ing mutants spitting raptors and what not).

My experience was quite different. When I came to the ridge above the canyon and saw the Big troll and armored men, I waited for the troll to walk out of the canyon and the told the two guys there momma was a big fat troll :) They did not much like that so they ran out of the canyon to get me. I just used my trusty old jetpack to hope in, grad the lost bow, and then hopped out. The dumb troll never saw me and the two guys are probably scratching their heads wondering where I went :)

Back
Top Bottom