Solasta - 95% funded!

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted that Solasta: Crown of the Magister is 95% funded:

The Orcs & Humans of Solasta (+ Reddit AMA Schedule & 95% Funded!)

The Tactical Adventures crew will be holding an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit /r/games starting Thursday 26th at 7 am PDT / 10 am EDT / 4 pm CEST. Tactical Archimat (CEO & Creative Director), Tactical Zaz (Gameplay Director) and myself (Community Lead) will be answering questions live for at least 3 hours (and maybe a few more).

So don't be shy, come and ask us what you want to know! On another note, only 5% more to go and we'll be funded!
More information.

Looks like it could be fun, I'll keep an eye on it.

On a different topic, is it usual that a game that isn't even funded gets so much air time in this site? I'm fine with it, I had just not seen this kind of day-to-day coverage for other crowd-funded projects.

Looks like it could be fun, I'll keep an eye on it.

On a different topic, is it usual that a game that isn't even funded gets so much air time in this site? I'm fine with it, I had just not seen this kind of day-to-day coverage for other crowd-funded projects.

Two factors here:

1. Our audience really likes D&D tactical turn-based games
  2. If not so much is going on in the big RPG world, indies and smaller projects get more air time automatically

It could be the first D&D 5e tactical game like HiddenX said. Many want to see how 5e rules will translate to a crpg. D&D popularity is at an all time high and I want to see some 5e games released. Streaming has done wonders for D&D and the official modules WotC runs every month at gaming stores is crazy popular.

My buddy owns a gaming store and they have people come in every Tuesday for the adventure league games. It is standing room only.

Fair enough, I'm not questioning it, I just hate when potential good games go under the radar. I'm glad that won't be the case with Solasta.

Fair enough, I'm not questioning it, I just hate when potential good games go under the radar. I'm glad that won't be the case with Solasta.

When you are thinking RPGWatch is missing potential good games feel free to PM @Myrthos;, @Silver; or me - @HiddenX; or send the whole staff a message here.

Someone in the KS comments was curious if RPGWatch was planning to do one of the group donation drives for Solasta. Not sure if that would be worthwhile as I think so many of us who are interested have already pledged individually but perhaps there's still visitors who don't like to or can't give directly to KS for whatever reason that might be up for it?

Another lover of tactical turn-based games here, guilty as charged. Well done by these folks, only proving that the kick starter model is still perfectly viable, if you do your launch correctly.

[*]Our audience really likes D&D tactical turn-based games

[*]If not so much is going on in the big RPG world, indies and smaller projects get more air time automatically
Yeah, it's pretty much the opposite of Rock Paper Shotgun, who absolutely bury the site in multiple articles (often per day) slobbering over huge titles, like Borderlands, which IMO hardly need that much copy.

I recommend to give the demo a try. It is pretty playable and quite fun. the verticality is the big new thing here, but what I liked most are the events that occur during combat under certain circumstances (i.e. your fighter shielding the mage). I also like that you can discover history and documents which seem to be relevant to certain groups.

The only thing that was a wee bit annoying sometimes is that you constantly wheel and zoom the camera in tight spaces. The UI also has to be touched up a bit, which I'm sure it will be.

Very likely gonna support this on KS before time runs out. Very promising so far!

I just found out about this game two days ago. I likely ignored the other posts, as I pretty much ignore Kickstarter these days, but I clicked on the post that had D&D in the title. :)

Not a party tactical player, but will still probably buy it at some point.

Another lover of tactical turn-based games here, guilty as charged. Well done by these folks, only proving that the kick starter model is still perfectly viable, if you do your launch correctly.
Dunno about this proving anything about the "Kickstarter model". This game is being made in France and they only asked for $200K, so…enough to pay the salary of 2 or 3 of their guys for 1 year? Nowhere even close to what a game like this would really require to make. Seems more like a pre-order / PR event than anything else, much like the Queen's Wish Kickstarter. Many years ago, people were actually able to get the money they needed to make a game on KS, or something close to it anyway. Haven't seen that in a while, at least not for any game I care(d) about.

While I'm interested in this game, I'm disappointed that KS didn't really specify exactly what we get if the initial funding goal is met. They've already mentioned the game will be in development regardless of KS success, and additional class (Paladin won) will only be unlocked once they raise additional 20k from the initial goal.

While I'm interested in this game, I'm disappointed that KS didn't really specify exactly what we get if the initial funding goal is met. They've already mentioned the game will be in development regardless of KS success, and additional class (Paladin won) will only be unlocked once they raise additional 20k from the initial goal.

A more polished game?
Wasn't that Larian's pitch for D:OS 1 as well? IIRC, that game was pretty far in development and they started a KS to add additional polish to it. I might be misremembering though.

From the KS update "As a reminder, this additional class will be unlocked when we reach our Kickstarter Funding Goal of $200,000 / 180,000€." So that means that additional class is not a stretch goal.

I guess they are using KS because of two reasons. Marketing + polish. Exactly what Larian did with DOS 1&2.

From the KS update "As a reminder, this additional class will be unlocked when we reach our Kickstarter Funding Goal of $200,000 / 180,000€." So that means that additional class is not a stretch goal.

I guess they are using KS because of two reasons. Marketing + polish. Exactly what Larian did with DOS 1&2.

Uh… it is a stretch goal. Paladin unlocks when they raise 200k, that's 20k above their initial goal amount.

This game is being made in France and they only asked for $200K, so…enough to pay the salary of 2 or 3 of their guys for 1 year? Nowhere even close to what a game like this would really require to make.
You're making 4 or 5 assumptions here about their business models. Plenty of games (especially first games) are made without salaries and without studios. $200K could keep three people going for three years, or simply pad out their budget so they can comfortably finish a game which is well on its way to being finished. Since they have a playable demo, that would seem to be the case here.

Back
Top Bottom