Risen - GameStar Gameplay Video

Has there been any shot anywhere yet to suggest a draw distance of more than about 30ft? The other Gothics had some real vistas...

I do regret the gnomes and I don't think it will be anything less then swordfodder. A pity. Although they look interesting and more fun then the goblins did.

For the rest of the video: I can't wait untill Fall, and it hasn't been summer yet, my favourite time of year

Well, the corpse-looting gnome seemed pretty neutral. So maybe there will be friendly and hostile gnomes?

About lockpicking: well, it used to be memory-based, but now you can see your moves, so it kinda makes it easier, doesn't it? Eh. Still, it's a lot better than the solution in G3, I think.

Last edited:
Why? It's still a matter of luck whether the dice roll ends up the same or you happen to press the right directional key. It's not a difference as much as it is obfuscating the matter.

But even if you do prefer skill tests to luck (fair enough if you do), doesn't it make sense to actually give the player the opportunity to actively influence the outcome of the skill test rather than just have him trust on luck in a trial-and-error based experience? Fallout 3's lock-picking minigame, for instance, is pretty good.

Luck has very little influence on the gothic locking minigame, you will almost never open chest at the first time without great lockpicking skills. Memorizing the moves is pretty much a must. trusting on luck is illogical anyway becouse you can't influence it, so why even think about it (I mean as long as your influence change the odds drastically)?

"well, it used to be memory-based, but now you can see your moves, so it kinda makes it easier, doesn't it?"

Yeah I would refer to turn it off if that were the option, or maybe give a time constraint to give a little spin on the lockpincking minigame, but there wasn't any

It is good old Gothic that we played countless hours. If they will resemble Risen to the Gothic 2 rather than 3. Then, Risen will be a classic for me. Just look at this video and Arcania's terrible stuttering E3 video. Piranha bytes rulezz!! :)

Well, pretty much everyone has commented on the things I noticed. The grunts on every swing HAS to go. That is so annoying! Especially the "Chah!" one.

After seeing it in action I must say I'm a little disappointed in the graphics and animations. The graphics of Gothics 1 and 2 were adequate and didn't feel dated for their time, but this looks like a game from 5+ years ago. I'm sure the gameplay will more than make up for the dated graphics, but still... it is disappointing.

Pretty much everything else looks great!!

.... Oh, and I for one am thrilled they brought the old lock-picking back!

I thought the graphics and animation were fine, but I did think the combat looked somewhat arcade-like. You can't get the "feel" of it from watching a video though.

I'm looking forward to getting a taste of hands-on gameplay. I'm hoping they release a demo like they did with Gothic 1&2.

I'm hoping they release a demo like they did with Gothic 1&2.

A demo has been confirmed by Deep Silver. It's just not certain yet whether it will come out before or after the game's (German) release.

Excellent - I hope it is a good demo ... a lousy demo is worse than none at all!

Back
Top Bottom