NWN2 Ready to start

Neverwinter Nights 2
PJ are you sure that your character will be able to move once you add all those titles to him? ;)

Well, I've gotten him to Rogue 3/Wiz 5/Arcane Trickster 1 now, and he's finally starting to be more than just baggage carrying a lockpick. I also had Qara magic up a nice little rapier for him, which means that he can actually poke holes in things from time to time.

It's a different experience, playing with a character like this. It sort of smooths out the game -- everything's a bit harder on average, but there are no really hard or really easy parts.

Oh, and, with STR10, yeah, he does have some trouble moving. :p

lol maybe I should do that too. I like eldrich knight a lot but kinda getting bored of it. Don't know what I really want to play though. Maybe I will try Bard/Red Dragon Disciple/Shadow dancer this time. MotB is still not here... *sigh*

I played about halfway through MotB with a Bard/RDD, and it was a lot of fun. The bard buffs and spells combined on top of the RDD stats and immunities make a very powerful character. I got him to specialize in a big honkin' greatsword too, which made for some impressive fighting...

My first attempt was with a monk. Not bad, but just not as much fun as I had hoped (although I kept the save game just in case). Today, I did my first restart with a barbarian. Battle is more fun, but not having the skills to do proper "collecting" (aka search/disarm/open) is really bothering me. I'm moving on to my 3rd restart now. I'm thinking a rogue gives me the skills I want, but he won't be suited to my sumo-mentality combat techniques. There's half a million classes, and none of them seem like a perfect fit for me. There are several I'd love to try in a multiplayer setting where non-traditional builds are more feasible.

@dte: if you get your Open Locks skill to 10 ranks or so, that's enough. That means you can pick any class with a decent Int and/or the Able Learner feat, and bring up your Open Locks from there. I did just this with the character I used to actually finish the game -- a Fighter/Duelist.

Round 3 is a dual-wield ranger. She gets enough skill points to burn some on my "collector" skills, particularly since my approach doesn't call for me to put points into hide/move silent/listen and such. She's a little weak in melee, but the overall experience is working so far.

Good to hear that.

My chaotic Drow generalist with the unpronounceable name Belithralylith has made it to level 13. He's now Rogue 3/Wiz (Illusionist) 5/Arcane Trickster 5. He's also starting to kick some serious ass, and his exploration skills rule too. Currently the biggest weakness in that department is Search -- he keeps walking into traps he could disarm. Then again, his Dex 24, high saves, magic resistance, and Improved Evasion mean that he rarely takes a scratch from them. He's starting to compare quite favorably with Qara or Sand, even though they have access to higher-level spells.

Quick question, y'all. I'm not enjoying my ranger much at this point as she isn't that good at melee and the RPCs I've encountered so far make some of the other skills I wanted a bit unnecessary. I'm thinking hard about yet another restart, but I'm getting a bit tired of doing the opening zones over and over. My ranger is currently clearing the Highcliff Castle. The question before the house is:

How much progress would I be throwing away if I start over? If I'm most of the way thru act 1 and act 1 is 50% of the game (which I doubt, but you get my point), I'm going to stick it out with my ranger girl. If I've barely scratched the surface of the game, I want a new toon.

Whacha think, folks? And thanks for any wisdom.

i think you're less than halfway dte--I believe there are three acts, with the last one being the shortest, and one and two about the same. But you know how my memory goes....

I didn't enjoy the archer/ranger build much either-- in NWN1:HotU I went for Arcane Archer and gave up after a few levels totally underwhelmed. The spot and survival stuff is cool tho.

yeah you are no where close to half way. In act I there's really long series of quests once you get to Neverwinter. So I think you can safely start a new game with new Char.

Thanks for the info. Restart underway with my "old standby" build--combat oriented cleric. I about wet myself when I actually read all the domain descriptions, though. By taking "war" and picking the right diety, my little girl is now a scythe meister. There's a Ms. Grim here about the reaping?? :mwahaha:

I had a lot of fun with eldrich knight and highly recommend it. Now I got MotB, Im trying out Divine Soul/Spirit Shamman

I've been tinkering with a Warlock, a copy of the one I play in a tabletop game. I'm just in chapter one with him (and have enjoyed some great little intimidate and murder dialogue options) but my question is this: How much is rest restricted throughout the game as a whole?

If it's like NWN, where you can easily rest every 10 seconds if you wanted, there's no point in playing a Sorcerer or Divine Soul, let alone a Warlock (who's only claim to fame is never needing to rest to regain power).

Second character active is a goody goody two shoes cleric. Though Scythe-Master always looks fun (and is fun: I played one in Hordes of the Underdark but his critical hits kept locking up the game. And only HIS crits: All other characters in something like 9 playthroughs never once crashed the game.).

Resting is just like NWN, Xen--any time there aren't enemies in your vicinity. Perhaps it changes (I'm still in Act 1), but I kinda doubt it.

Where in the samhell have you been, mister??? Hope you're doing well.

Resting is no problem in the OC, but that changes radical in Mask of the Betrayer.

Well, I've gone thorough the stupid town under siege three or four times now (warlock, favored soul, fighter/wizard, monk) and I have to say... I need to pause more often in combat. I'm not as good at switching and tracking down targets as the NPCs are. Oh, for a way to 'follow' something I targeted with tab in order to close the distance to it without having to see it on a pitch black map.

I've been limiting myself to resting when appropriate and playing on Hardcore D&D rules so it's been pretty intense at times. Favored Soul is damned nice, though I notice that my god's favorite weapon is bastard sword and I received weapon focus bastard sword yet can't equip one because I didn't get weapon proficiency exotic to go with it. Pretty messed up, but I can always grab the feat if I want to swing a bastard sword around (useful with my self-imposed limited rests just for something to DO).

Warlocks can cheese a good chunk of the low level game due to an oversight. Been trying to avoid doing so, as comical as it is.

On a serious note: How much XP do I get for killing the camera? It's got to be a CR 500 or so...

As previously mentioned, resting is very restricted in MotB, so classes needing no rest at all certainly have an advantage there.

The game went from very easy to very difficult in a real hurry in Neverwinter. I'm working the City Watch branch and my well-equipped, well-buffed party of Khelgar, Neeshka, and my scythe-wielding cleric were hopelessly outmanned on 2 quests (one for the Watch and one for Neeshka). I had to stoop to picking up the druid just for the extra manpower. :(

This one isn't drawing me in as much as NWN1 did. We'll see if that changes as I get further in. I just turned level 9.

Yeah, there were definitely times when I was almost playing against my will in the beginning, but it gets more interesting later, even if it never quite has a real balance between easy fights(majority) and devastating ones(at random interludes.) I did like it much better than NWN OC, though, which I never finished.

The game went from very easy to very difficult in a real hurry in Neverwinter. I'm working the City Watch branch and my well-equipped, well-buffed party of Khelgar, Neeshka, and my scythe-wielding cleric were hopelessly outmanned on 2 quests (one for the Watch and one for Neeshka). I had to stoop to picking up the druid just for the extra manpower. :(

This one isn't drawing me in as much as NWN1 did. We'll see if that changes as I get further in. I just turned level 9.

Hang in there a while longer. It gets a lot more interesting once you finish the City Watch thread.

I'm almost giddy to try it again on my new rig. I had to turn down a lot of graphics to get it to play on my old machine. I figure I've got 2 more weeks of BG2, then I'll be back to NWN2

Back
Top Bottom