Diablo 1

Actually, Westwood invented the term real-time strategy - so yeah, it was the first one. But it's true, there were games before Dune 2 with similar elements, but they don't change what Dune 2 did.

I'm aware that Brett Sperry of Westwood "coined" the term, but that doesn't change the fact that there were quite a few earlier games with the same concept, just less evolved.

I'm aware that Brett Sperry of Westwood "coined" the term, but that doesn't change the fact that there were quite a few earlier games with the same concept, just less evolved.

What concept is that, and what games are you referring to?

What concept is that, and what games are you referring to?

The one we're discussing, and I could name at least one from personal experience, although I know there's more. Do a search, it's not that hard.

I have fond memories of playing a game called Herzog Zwei on the Sega Genesis several years before Dune 2 was released.

The one we're discussing, and I could name at least one from personal experience, although I know there's more. Do a search, it's not that hard.

I have fond memories of playing a game called Herzog Zwei on the Sega Genesis several years before Dune 2 was released.

Oh, haven't played that one - wasn't much into consoles at the time.

Seems a fair example in this case, and I concede it's probably close enough to constitute a preceding game of similar style.

I was kind of late to the PC scene compared to many people here, I didn't get my first PC until 1994. Of course games like Herzog Zwei were much simpler compared to Dune 2. The first PC RTS I ever played was Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, followed by Warcraft 2.

I'm not sure why, but I always preferred Blizzard's games to Westwood's, even though a close friend of mine was always trying to get me to play C&C. I don't think Bizzard's titles were better, I think it was just the fact that I prefered the high fantasy setting at the time.

Diablo still works on battle.net, tried it yesterday, you just need to patch it with the latest patch 1.09.

Demon's Souls is a nice looking dark hack n slasher (if you like the graphics), but it's only on PS3 and hasn't got a release date for the west yet.
demonssoulsscreenshot151008490.jpg

all this Diablo talk has me almost wanting to fire up part one again. Almost ='.'=

I remember reinstalling it a couple years ago, and I didnt last all that long w/ it. The "run" featured in D2 really does make a big difference to me, it's just too slow without it. It was a good game for it's time, but playing games like it's sequel and cousins really show the original Diablo's age. Like Starcraft, i could fire it up, but about 4 hours later I'm finding myself wondering why I'm playing it!

Demon's Souls is a nice looking dark hack n slasher (if you like the graphics), but it's only on PS3 and hasn't got a release date for the west yet.

NCSX just made a sale (go get your commission :p)

This is exactly what I need for couch lounging gaming, and I appreciate you sharing this.

NCSX just made a sale (go get your commission :p)

This is exactly what I need for couch lounging gaming, and I appreciate you sharing this.

Hmm its also

Created to be the spiritual successor to the infamous King's Field franchise also created by From Software, Demon's Souls brings hardcore RPG action to the PlayStation 3.

Kings field is kind of japanese light version of ultima underworld. Id sure buy this but I dont have ps3. Hopefully theyll release it to other platforms.

Cool to see the King's Field series mentioned, I had a lot of fun with KF 1 & 2 years ago on the PS1. This Demon's Souls game doesn't look anything like KF at first glance though...

You know, it's funny, but I've never played a Diablo game before. I always assumed it was just some hack n slash no story tedium. I'm probably wrong, but at this point I've found that trying to play older games for the first time just doesn't work. I'm planing on getting Diablo 3 however, mostly because I'm desperate for anything that resembles an RPG.

As for the talk of warcraft, it was the first RTS game I ever played. I used to play Warcraft 2 over the modem with friends... good times! This was when I played exclusively on a Mac so I'd always watch enviously PC users play the latest games. I liked Command & Conquer, and played it as well over modem with friends, but the Warcraft universe was always my fav. Eventually I got a PC and played a number of RTS games in between finding my newest love of Total Annihilation. Easily my favorite RTS. Strangely enough I've lost interest in RTS's and am no longer able to really enjoy them... it's strange really, I got Warhammer 40K and played it awhile, but was never really engulfed by it despite loving the Warhammer universe.

Anyways, I suppose I'm off topic, sorry!

You know, it's funny, but I've never played a Diablo game before. I always assumed it was just some hack n slash no story tedium. I'm probably wrong,

Nope, you're pretty much spot on. Don't get me wrong, they do have stories, but they're pretty much just to set things in motion, then it's hack-slash-collect loot-repeat!

but at this point I've found that trying to play older games for the first time just doesn't work. I'm planing on getting Diablo 3 however, mostly because I'm desperate for anything that resembles an RPG.

For me that depends on the game. If a game is truly great, then I have no issue with age. For instance - I didn't play System Shock until more than 10 years after it was released, I still found it to be phenomenal. I also just recently played the first game in the X series, X:Beyond the Frontier, which was released in 1999, and I was blown away by it.

I don't agree, I think that the diablo games have a great storie and storytelling with kain
But I have to admit: it is just a little glue for all the slashing ;)

Diablo = Rogue-like with "modern" production values and cooperative multiplayer.

Story sets the mood, and there's a great atmosphere - but otherwise it's just kill and loot.

But that's a fantastic concept, and you haven't experienced life until you've slaughtered countless demons with your friends, and found your first King's Sword of Haste.

Oh, and who can forget the subtle "ding" sound of a ring dropping...

I will never forget the Buthcer. He killed me a thousand times and each time hearing him was so creepy. I never put down a game because it was to creepy, but I did with D1.
The catacombs with only your radius light and then suddenly seeing a monster, and that at around 11 PM, home alone and all dark except your PC. Damn I was afraid

Then those catacombs - like level 5 and deeper IIRC - had those very disturbing ambient sounds, like subtle echoes of babies weeping or something....
Always sent shivers down my spine :D

weird that you put that, Zak, I was just going to type somethng along those lines.

Diablo was also a stunner in the way that it was really in your face w/ the occult and horror aspects of rpg - I cant remember any game ever giving me the sense of foreboding evil and dread that I got while playing the game by myself, at night, slightly stoned, w/ the lights off. It was a scary game at times. The game greets you w/ spinning inverted pentagrams, levels were dark, the sound was creepy as hell, and after the Butcher made his debut i wasnt sure what was coming next.

I think that's part of Diablo's success as well. Sure, you got to hack and slash and gather loot and finally have your d&d right there in front of you, but it also was compelling in it's dark presentation that made it seem a little more hardcore and mature than run of the mill fantasy setting.

Nope D2 was not scary at all.
Just mass massacre.
Hated the Jungle though

Back
Top Bottom