Help: Name this late 90's RPG

Kurse

Traveler
SOLVED: Dragon Lore: The Story Begins

Unfortunately I don't have much information - except that I played it with a friend around 1997 - 1999 and that was really inexpensive. It was a 3rd person RPG, at one point relatively early in the game you were required to locate a hammer on the ground behind a shop and break through some boulders to advance. Later on there was an area full of giant mushrooms - some of which were even house like.

Just trying to put a name to game that I played so long ago.

Thanks
Kurse

Last edited:
You left out a very important piece of information - what platform? Was this on the PC, or a console system?

Also, can you describe the setting in more detail?

Sorry - Of course that might help - this was on PC. It was medieval fantasy. Swords and armor etc. I thought at one time the word "Dragon" or "Fire" may have been part of the title but I have looked around lots and never come across it again.

Sorry I don't remember much as it was so long ago.

Realtime or Turnbased? One PC or Party.

There is a game named Dragon Fire that was made in 98. It was the last of the Quest for Glory series. I don't think it's that one though.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/quest-for-glory-v-dragon-fire

Try searching around Mobygames. They have tons of screenshots to go with the descriptions of the games or search the gamebase here. Maybe it's there.

Realtime - as far as I played it was only a single character. The view was either through the eyes of the character or directly behind. When swinging a weapon I believe you only saw the arm and weapon.

I don't believe it was Quest for Glory upon looking at the screenshots.

Solved it! Thanks Skavenhorde for pointing me to mobygames! I was able to track it down based on some questions you and JDR13 asked which jogged my memory. Thanks again to both of you.

Well, what was it?

He/she editted the answer into the first post:
Dragon Lore: The Story Begins

lol, thanks dte. I was a little curious about it as well.

Yeah I remember that game. It was one of those rendered "look pretty play like crap" games. It was interesting for 15min then the graphcs started to bore. I returned the loaned game and never looked back. It might offer more for adventure game fans though.

As for dragon fire. Thats whole another story. Last of the quest for glory series. I never played it. I tried to buy it from ebay last year but it was too rare and expensive. Too bad they never made a second releases to make more copies available.

This game released in 1994. It's not an RPG, it is an adventure. It is one of those first FVM filled, poor gameplay games. I could not run this game on my PC in those days. (1995) Because, this game wanted 1 mb video ram while I had 512 kb video ram (486sx-33,4 mb ram,4xCdrom,Sound Blaster 16 - Good Old Times :) ) A friend of mine was a 1 mb video ram. The introduction movie amazed us at that time.

As for dragon fire. Thats whole another story. Last of the quest for glory series. I never played it. I tried to buy it from ebay last year but it was too rare and expensive. Too bad they never made a second releases to make more copies available.

Oh boy, you weren't kidding when you said it was expensive. Amazon has it listed for $183. http://www.amazon.com/Quest-Glory-5-Dragon-Fire-Pc/dp/B00001LC25 I've played all of the QFG games and gotta say this one wasn't a dissapointment. New graphics/combat, but same great gameplay, writing and humor. Hopefully GOG will have it one of these days.

As for Dragon Lore, never played it. Looks familiar though.

English one is outrageously expensive and the Dutch one is budget priced. odd.

I own both Dragon Lore games. As someone said they are more of adventure games with a bit of RPG elements. I played both couple of years after release and as I remember they were quite good. Nothing spectacular (after all, they are made by Cryo - French developer famous for making "weird" adventures). I do own couple of other games from Cryo, like Arthur's Knights series...

As for QFG5 Dragon Fire. I own an original US big box version in mint condition and was quite lucky to get it for less than 10 EUR couple of years ago in a local second hand shop.:biggrin: On the other hand I paid some series money for QfG Anthology - also a rare to find and very expensive collection of first four QfG games on cd-rom.:'(

I don't quite remember, but I think I bought Dragon Lore earlier this year or last year on a flea market.

Back
Top Bottom