Fallout 3 - Interview @ Play.tm

Fall Out 3 will be a huge success, far more popular than the real Fall Outs. You guys win by default of tyranny of the masses/tyranny of the center. But Fall Out 3 will never be an actual Fall out 3, anymore tha FO:BOS could be a Fall Out 3.

I find it rather ironic that someone so dedicated to preserving the essence of Fallout doesn't even know what the series is called nor, apparently, what the title means.

Logic 101: a strawman is when you misrepresent your opponents argument and then proceed to knock it down with an argument of your own. I was simply mistaken about the facts. If you like, clock a point for that.

Your strawman was pretending my opinion was that nothing can become outdated, like silent movies.

However, I still stand by the substance of my observation -- that the designers of FO are not currently working on TB titles, and have not been working on TB titles for what amounts to about two generations of games.

They don't have a choice.

And what's the Fallout franchise? Two cRPG's using the same gameplay mode and engine, one squad-based tactical title, one FPS console title, with the latter two tanking badly due to violating the canon or just being plain bad games.

If your argument is that two games are enough to set in stone "franchise expectations," IMO that's not a very solid basis for it.

Isn't it? Why? Because the two tanking games that didn't keep to franchise expectations prove that? Because there isn't a significant userbase that clearly state their expectations of the franchise? Because the original developers were really vague about their intentions in bringing GURPS to the computer?

You appear to have run out of arguments, since you're reverting to empty rhetoric.

Yes, saying "You appear to have run out of arguments" wouldn't be empty rhetoric.

I'm sorry, but you don't seem to have a better reason to invoke Fallout shouldn't change from TB to RT than that *you* prefer it. Maybe I'm mistaken. You can always throw the old "the market demands it" spiel, if you think it'll help you, though.

I'm sorry, but you don't seem to have a better reason to invoke Fallout shouldn't change from TB to RT than that *you* prefer it. Maybe I'm mistaken. You can always throw the old "the market demands it" spiel, if you think it'll help you, though.

Oh dear. All this time, you've been thinking that I've been saying that FO should change from TB to RT, when in actual fact I've been saying that it doesn't matter whether it's TB or RT.

Perhaps I haven't been clear enough about the distinction. Or perhaps you haven't been listening. Or, just perhaps, you're intentionally misrepresenting what I'm saying in order to counter it more easily. What was the name of that particular fallacy again?

Oh dear. All this time, you've been thinking that I've been saying that FO should change from TB to RT, when in actual fact I've been saying that it doesn't matter whether it's TB or RT.

I never said you were saying that FO should change from TB to RT, I said you "don't seem to have a better reason to invoke Fallout shouldn't change from TB to RT than that *you* prefer it."

In other words, in case you can't follow it, I don't care if you want the change or rather think the change is harmless, because in both cases you're still not properly explaining why I'm wrong in thinking Fallout shouldn't change. Thinking the change should or can happen is both opposed to that.

Amusingly, you just straw man'd in trying to accuse me of a straw man. Funny. You still haven't apologized for straw manning me to begin with, at that.

@Brother, I sincerely apologize for any "strawmanning" I've done in this thread. You may not believe me, but it has been unintentional. I have clearly misunderstood you on a couple of points, and I believe you have misunderstood me on a couple of others.

Given the turn that it has taken, I don't think it would serve any useful purpose to continue this conversation. In the end, Fallout 3 is only a game in a moderately obscure gaming franchise -- we're talking light entertainment, not world peace here. It may turn out to suck, it may turn out to rock, it may turn out to be something in between. We'll just have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom