Anime Discussion Thread

Finished Koutetsujou no Kabaneri.
I must say...visually, it is one of the best I have seen. It is beautiful and the animation very fluid and detailed(fight scenes yeeaahhh!).
The combination of colors is splendid, although surreal at times,but it is not a bad thing,for me at least.

The story is not that bad, although nothing special, but it has been delivered in a nice way.

Characters are a bit left out and you don't get to meet them and get to know them much. But there are few characters who seems interesting and in the anime we don't really see their best potential. Perhaps the manga is different.

Things are getting rushed, it is a fast paced anime. And after all it is understandable since the world is in ruin and no time to just sit around.
I think that is what the creators wanted originally to achieve, hence the reason we don't get to know the characters a bit more. It is a rush to the hill,to survival.

And just to write a few lines about the music.
The music is great! It does captures the situations throughout the anime and it gives it spice. Music has,overall, a positive outshine, it is bursting and elevating.
Good stuff.
I am listening it now and I really like it. And of course Hiroyuki Sawano is responsible for some great scores as well as in Attack on Titan.

Note: To joxer...if nothing you should listen to the soundtrack and latter..probably get it for yourself, since it is great...if you liked the music(and you did if I recall correctly) in AOT, then this is for your liking as well. :)

AoT OST is superb!
It's so arrogantly awsome I just couldn't believe it. So great it can live up with any arrangement.
Here's a brass orchestra cover of opening for you, special because of rare doublesax (so far the only better I've seen only in Baccano!'s Guns and Roses):

But Kabaneri OST… No sorry.

This opening is horrible and the unreasonable mish-mash of styles is hurting my ears.
I'm not even sure if that poor singler has cold, is untalented or because the whole arrangement is so bad she can't do better.
This should be declared illegal, man! It's that bad.

But ending is nice. Perfect to grab a guitar, detect chords, go camping with friends who learn words and enjoy by the fire:

Malukah should do the cover of this one.

As for the rest of it, "ingame", I didn't hear anything special. Maybe I got too spoiled with AoT and Ajin soundtrack.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention! The OP is horrible. Sorry,my bad.

But this…Koutetsujou no Kabaneri OST 1COMA instant flashback to AOT.

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri-Through My Blood
And also very good Eliana-Icon

So,when I say great soundtrack, I mean these. :)

And how the hell can one attach a thumbnail video here? I can't figure it out. :D

Edit: Oh, and the brass orchestra cover is very good. They play that tune with heart.

Push quote on my post and you'll see what I did. ;)

Watching Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
I have to say, it is very good.
Specially episode 15, now that was fucked up, and it left some psychical and emotional scars on me. Just when I thought no anime can surprise me...well,think again.

Anyway,it is a great show. It shines, with some dark spots here and there.

Finally watched Elfen Lied:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/226/Elfen_Lied

Very odd show with somewhat stupid characters where you don't care for that stupidity till the end of it because of interesting story through points that show that villains didn't become like that by their own choice (not all at least).
It's not a masterpiece by any means, for example fixation on jealousy is too extreme and spreads over too many characters and too many events while in reality it just can't be happening. The amount of nudity and gore in Elfen Lied is higher than in recent Berserk adaptation. In fact I haven't seen any other anime with so much scenes that would risk it's ban on certain markets (and wouldn't surprise me if it actually was banned). While there isn't a classic cliffhanger and most characters get their ending, many things are left open in the end and I'm not sure why this anime didn't get a sequel.

If you'll go for it, do not watch it through amazon where it's censored too much. Go Hulu or somewhere else available in your region. Can't suggest getting it in your home DVD collection, while very good it's not a musthave.
Recommended for everyone who is looking for something totally different and won't faint over hectolitres of blood nor will feel awkward because of butts and boobs all over the place. The show is not hentai, still you have to be careful who are you watching this with - if a person can't stand horrors, wait till they're not around.

Last edited:
I have just finished Alderamin on the Sky. Started a bit slow but surprisingly very good and i can't wait for season 2. Its "military" anime and it does that very well and it sort of tickle your inner general! Only 13 episode so I can binge in a day!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/alderamin-on-the-sky

Finally watched Elfen Lied

Took you long enough. :)

It is a good show.

And,the next step should be Gokukoku no Brynhildr
from the same creator of Elfen Lied.
In a way it mirrors Elfen Lied but with less gore&nudity,it is a little bit slow paced, and yes you can expect some silliness along the way, but it is a likable show with only 13 episodes.

Check it out if you find the will and time for it.

Patience, I'm currently on Tokyo Ghoul (not bad, but doesn't seem mustwatch, at least first few episodes of 2 seasons span) and after that I'll move on Psycho Pass.

Added on "to watch" list, will share impressions when I do.

Finished Tokyo Ghoul (both seasons).
https://myanimelist.net/anime/22319/Tokyo_Ghoul

First season was interesting, promising, good story and characters, some fresh ideas that made a nice setup for one if not even more seasons.
Because of bad luck, main protagonist becomes a part of two worlds. Humans on one side and ghouls on another. That are, of course, in war. We get a development of all those who'll, eventually, get pulled into a clash of titans. Aren't we?

Enter season 2, start with WTF reactions. Whatever season 1 set, falls apart in season 2. Except Hide character who is main protagonist's opposite, he doesn't belong to either world, but wants to. Everything else is confusing, hardly believable and slapped in a mish mash without any explanation or logic behind. We get our clasjh, but in it more "superheroes" are just appearing out of thin air, presumably with a backstory never mentioned anywhere and without any reason but to pose as filler.
Last episode is copypasted Mass Effect ending, retarded, pathetic, utterly disappointing. I can't remember a worse ending in anime than this one. In fact, I can't remember season 2 being so horrible in any anime series I've watched, even Knights od Sidonia that turned into yet another harem in season 2 had some decent stuff still going on.

My recommendation:
Skip at all costs. Instead, rent Tokyo Gore Police, it's a live movie with similar themes like in this anime series, but won't disappoint you.

I am not so unforgiving towards Tokyo Ghoul as joxer is.
However, the second season is quite a mess, a mish-mash of content that is piled on one another.
The first season is much better. Although, SO2 has a good rate,some people liked it.

Oh and Psycho-Pass is very good IMHO(both seasons).

EDIT: Liked how in the Tokyo Ghoul SO2 every ED was different,with nice art work and music. :)

There is also a movie that happens after series. Worth a shot?

Hmm...did not watch(but I was going to),so I don't know.
Guess, first watch the series,and if you like it,also go for the movie.

Didn't watch Keijo yet (Crunchyroll airs it), it's one of those titles I'm waiting for the complete season before I dive in. In a company of a few friends so we can decide to continue after a couple of episodes or declare it to be the best anime ever. ;)

I did peek an episode or two on most of new ones in order to weed out bad stuff. Of a couple of dozen titles I saw, only three I'll wait then watch when completed:

- Drifters - history, fantasy and sci fi with humor, superb animation and not much censored gore, if it doesn't fall into style over substance trap it could be one of the best things this year

- Trickster - a detective with gadgets meets a boy who wants but can't die and promises him to find the "cure" for his immortality if they work together, it's again flawed superhero anime but in all it's sillyness it's not irritating like Bungou Stray Dogs (overhyped stuff which I refuse to continue)

- Yuri on ice - usually I don't like sports anime, and this is about ice skating, however the classic animation and music are something so good I'd feel ashamed if I ditch it, the show is totally gay (at least first two episodes) although I doubt any of characters are and it's not awkward in fact I couldn't believe how it fits

About Ajin season 2 for all I know it's currently available only in Japan and will spread to other markets the moment it finishes airing the complete season. Most probably there are fan subbed episodes on youtube or something, but I'll wait for the whole thing anyway so… Definetly gonna watch it.
I'm buying it in fact, still not sure if I'll get it on DVD or manga (which is still ongoing). Not just season 2, but everything.

As I said, not much going on.
However, Drifters and even Yuri on ice is on my "Perhaps I should give it a try",list.
Ajin 2 for sure...when it gets released to Crunchy.

As for the best thing this year, Re Zero has a big potential. Erased as well.

The year will end soon. Openings and endings won't change so...

My own best anime opening in this year:

Best ending? There actually isn't any I'd care about. It's like noone cared to make something worth talking about.

I'm late in my anime viewing, I didn't watch any this Fall.

But while looking for the Winter season, I found out that Code Geass is getting a sequel (full series, not OVA) later this year (10th anniversary project): Code Geass: Lelouch of the Revival/Resurrection.

OMG!

Some many ways Sunrise can screw this up...

Agreed that its a bit over the top but I adore the main theme (Lilium) and bought the CD several years ago (ack! 11 years ago already) as a result. Its a very lovely aria and I believe original to the show. I have found that Japanese Anime has some of my favorite music (this, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Noir, Hellsing, Full Metal Alchemist). Good in small doses but I can't think of anything as good in commercial television.

Anyway, on topic I was digging through Amazon Prime and discovered Legend of Korra. I realize that it might not be the most edgy coming from Nickelodeon but I was surprised at the quality as I was expecting much, much worse.

Back
Top Bottom