PoE, D:OS, and WL2: Comparison/Contrast - Page 4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » PoE, D:OS, and WL2: Comparison/Contrast

View Poll Results - Which of the three do you like best?

Divinity: Original Sin 27 38.57%
Wasteland 2 11 15.71%
Pillars of Eternity 32 45.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Default PoE, D:OS, and WL2: Comparison/Contrast

October 16th, 2020, 14:00
Interesting, thank you for sharing. We are in much agreement, particularly in regards to how we rank Round 1 and our opinion that D:OS2 is at least one of the best RPG's ever crafted. I much prefer TB combat in general, but thought the rtwp was okay in the first PoE, and will probably play PoE2 that way as well. I thought I had read on these forums other opinions that the TB combat dramatically *improved* the experience for most. Interested in hearing more opinions about that…

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 16th, 2020, 15:18
Originally Posted by rossrjensen View Post
but thought the rtwp was okay in the first PoE, and will probably play PoE2 that way as well. I thought I had read on these forums other opinions that the TB combat dramatically *improved* the experience for most. Interested in hearing more opinions about that…
The RTwP in the first POE worked as well as RTwP works in most games with RTwP
But that's a different topic.
Regarding TB, you can check a section of my LP here:
https://youtu.be/D_OmlIwTJXg?list=PL…K_8gb5U&t=1234

At 20:34 you can see that the AI has struggles with moving to my team, instead they are just running around wildly. They probably have the same issue in RTwP, but in TB modes these things become more obvious and more broken and arent covered up in "action".
In general the system feels like modded in. I never played any of the TB mods, but that's how I imagine it would play with them…it just doesnt feel designed for that (well, it wasn't) and more of a crutch. Also the very first combat on the ship is already buggy and comes with incorrect displays (but that works after this initial fight).
If I remember correctly there are also skills which are borderline pointless, like stuns which don't stun anymore but merely interrupt and things like that.
--
Doing Let's Plays Reviews in English now. Latest Video: Wasteland 3
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

October 16th, 2020, 17:07
Kingmaker >> PoE1 >WL2 > PoE2 > DOS1 > DOS2.
  • Kingmaker was, far and away, the best RPG in that time period. It took me back 20 years to my feelings of wonder w/ BG's release.
  • The first Pillars of Eternity after 200 patches and DLC worked in was a damn fun game; however, the game at launch infuriated me with its sloppiness and bugs. I've come to wonder if my enjoyment of the game didn't have a bit more to do with my choice of monk for the main character (great class).
  • WL2 Director's Cut was also terrific fun but it suffered in a couple big areas. First, the game was divided into two parts and it made for a stilted experience. Secondly, getting a wide breadth of skills in your party practically forced you into researching online on what was available from companions; they needed a limited respec option, or anything else to make those companions more customizable.
  • After WL2, my ranking is a wash, to be honest. I find DOS to be HIGHLY overrated and greatly disliked the armor system and the cover-everything-in-elemental-clouds mechanics of the sequel. Both DoS games' stories are trite, boring, and completely forgettable. As for PoE2, I got through ~90% of that game (level 18) and just stopped playing altogether; the entire setting was mundane, the copy/paste islands a bore to bother visiting, the plot to track down a god and his soul-thirst uninteresting.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

October 16th, 2020, 17:12
Old thread from 2015 getting Necroed.
--
In the words of George Carlin -"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners"

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)

October 16th, 2020, 17:15
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Old thread from 2015 getting Necroed.
Hey, sequels will do that! I imagine this will get necroed again next year w/ DOS3 BG3.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

October 16th, 2020, 17:28
I don't have time to go into justifications, but I'll share my ranking real quick:

POE2 > DOS2 > WL2 > POE1 > W3 > DOS1.

(Kingmaker would get an incomplete… I disliked it when I first tried it, tried it again months later and played ~30 hours and thought it was alright)

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

October 16th, 2020, 17:40
Fine I'll play along as well.

POE2 > P:KM > WL2 > Tyranny > DOS2 > POE1 > W3 > DOS1.
--
In the words of George Carlin -"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners"

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)

October 16th, 2020, 18:44
Can't really comment on the Wasteland games since I've barely played them, but PoE > D:OS for me.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

October 16th, 2020, 20:53
PoE was the only one I played to completion. It's definitely much better with the white march expansions.

The other two I've played more than once but never quite finished. I'd have to say:

PoE > WL2 > D:OS

although they are all good in their own way.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

October 17th, 2020, 00:46
For me: Pathfinder: Kingmaker > D:OS1 > PoE2 > PoE1 > D:OS2 > WL2

Enjoyed hell out of Kingmaker. D:OS1 was fun when playing with hubby but the fun wore out pretty quick. I managed to finish PoE1 which wasn't the case PoE2. I really disliked some of key features in D:OD2 which completely ruined it. I barely played WL2 because I got bored very quick
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)

October 17th, 2020, 03:47
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Hey, sequels will do that! I imagine this will get necroed again next year w/ DOS3 BG3.
Fwiw, I will definitely necro this again come the next iterations!

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

October 18th, 2020, 19:14
D:OS2 > D:OS1 > PoE1 > P:K > PoE2

Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children might beat the entire lot.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

November 8th, 2020, 23:01
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
getting a wide breadth of skills in your party practically forced you into researching online on what was available from companions; they needed a limited respec option, or anything else to make those companions more customizable.
I definitely agree with you on this. I also feel like this has carried over to Wasteland 3. I generally don't like respec'ing in games but in the Wasteland games it seems specialization carries a lot more weight. Definitely have lamented picking up companions that have doubled up on my characters' specializations. Of course, you can always use an entirely custom squad, but you'd miss out on all the special stories and banter that come along with the companions.
Last edited by rossrjensen; November 8th, 2020 at 23:17.

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

Tags
divinity, divinity original sin, pillars of eternity, wasteland 2
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » PoE, D:OS, and WL2: Comparison/Contrast