Hyperdimension Neptunia Re; Birth 1 - Gameplay Overview Video

I was looking at downloading this for my vita, but as a game it has had poor ratings so for now I have skipped it. Vita has lots of better games than this to offer.

As for PC I would never buy handheld games for it and this one never.

What you are suggesting basically is that PC owner should be forced to buy a controller to enjoy a game on PC. If not forced on that, then forced onto something. The keyword is forced.

I remember when PC's didn't need this stupid mouse thing. Now every damn game forces me to use a mouse! If a developer doesn't release their game with good keyboard controls or doesn't even bother to remove these inferior mouse prompts, they shouldn't be releasing it at all. The PC is a platform where you should be allowed to have a choice. If I wanted to use an inferior control scheme, I would have bought a kiddie mouse.

:biggrin:

All PC games should strive to make keyboard/mouse controls comfortable.

Reality, however, is that a lot of games are developed primarily for consoles - and a lot of developers don't have the time/resources/inclination to take PC controls seriously.

So, I've chosen to accept it and I bought a Xbox 360 wireless receiver long ago - and I'm happy with my purchase.

That said, I still think it's really unfortunate that PC controls are so often neglected.

As for this game, it's clearly not for me - as the pictures alone gave me the same feeling as the smell of tainted food. So, I'm not inclined to care about its control schemes.

That said, we all know Fluent thinks reality is best ignored and everything is actually better if you pretend it is. We all also know that joxer uses his "gut feeling" before his brain - and nothing can change his mind once it's made up, which it seems to be before he even sets his eyes upon something new.

As such, you're facing two different kinds of walls and any exchange dealing with actual reality would seem rather pointless ;)

I'll be honest, I do enjoy JRPGs and I don't even mind anime JRPGs but this one is just not doing anything for me. I'll probably pass on it.

I'm curious as to why it's not doing anything for you? What don't you like about it? o_O

Just curious. Maybe we can get some discussion about the actual game going on. :)

I was looking at downloading this for my vita, but as a game it has had poor ratings so for now I have skipped it. Vita has lots of better games than this to offer.

As for PC I would never buy handheld games for it and this one never.

Poor ratings? It's a fun game. I think it is well-suited for a platform like the Vita, too, since you can control it faster and easier with the control layout of the Vita.

I don't think I'd trust the ratings. Trust the Fluent opinion instead. :D

I'm enjoying it quite a bit and I think it's a fine game. Not quite the greatest JRPG I've ever played, and probably not up there with Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon in terms of my favorite recent JRPGs, but certainly worth playing if you're a fan of the genre. It's especially recommended if you enjoy spoofs of the game industry and interesting, unique settings. For example, you'll see quirky, fun spoofs of Luigi from Mario Bros., aliens from Space Invaders, ghosts from Pac-man, and many more.

The game will make you laugh out loud at times, the graphics are beautiful and the characters are a joy. The turn-based combat is fun and there are surprising levels of depth at every turn.

Don't let the cute graphics fool you, this is a full-featured RPG. :)

Not the best JRPG but I'm quite smitten with it at the moment. :smitten:

Esteemed internet semi-stranger [Nephologist],

I usually agree with much of your opinion on other topics and even within this thread, but these two paragraphs had me cringe with horror:

Call me jaded, but in a game designed for consoles and ported to PC as a afterthought, I don't expect the level of attention to a PC only control scheme like M&K. Maybe in a perfect world with unlimited budgets it should be, but alas.

The one ray of sunshine I see is that more and more games and being developed with both console AND PC in mind. In those cases, both control schemes are taken into consideration during development. I think Skyrim could be taken as a decent example of this.

While I agree that a game of almost any quality designed for consoles is very likely to play best on consoles by sheer design, that also means that it may play severely less good on different platform with its own combination of input/output devices, habitual playing arrangements, interface conventions and, not least, player culture/epectations. Even a console game that is quite good may actually play abysmally on PC to the point of its retained strengths simply not overcoming its adopted weaknesses.
Imagine Rock Band on PC, if you will. Of course, opposed to the other way around, it is possible to turn your PC platform into a good approximation of a console experience, if that is what you wish for, and then the problem becomes moot. But you have to accept that some gamers are simply not interested in doing that for good reasons, one of them being that it then quickly becomes cheaper to directly buy into the cross-subsidized console arrangement, another that the console experience just doesn't appeal to them.

The same goes for porting the other way, of course: there was never going to be a truly enjoyable Ultima 7 for consoles as it was totally designed around a mouse and a desktop arrangement for an audience used to drag-and-drop. And indeed, when it was converted, it had to be severely redesigned for playing with a controller, and it still remained clearly inferior to the original.

Frankly I've not come across a PC-to-console port that more or less assumed you were playing the game using a mouse and a keyboard (but a few did support that!), even though sony boxes have offered that option for the last 15 years and peripherals have been available readily and cheaply.

Games expecting PC gamers to use controllers with have become a thing because enough PC gamers have accepted and bought such games (and thus, purchased and installed a peripheral that is at most adequately suited to playing in a chair at a desk in front of a PC screen).

I believe saying that converting a game to PC "as an afterthought" is unfortunate is actually being very nice about it. More likely, it's a quick cash-in attempt.
I don't think we should be happy or even content "to be getting the game at all". If a company wants to sell their game to a different audience, we (the consumers) shouldn't give them a free pass for being generous but expect them to make a serious effort and judge the product as a whole accordingly.

Your ray of sunshine, alas, is my anathema. Multi-platform by its very definition caters to the weaknesses of all platforms and to the strengths of none. Thoughtful design around this fundamental problem may - at the cost of certain restrictions - significantly alleviate this, yet all versions are going to suffer from the decision (unless one is the "leading platform", turning all others essentially into ports).

Skyrim, as good many of its components are, and even if I found my - heavily modded - gameplay on PC highly satisfactory, still suffered greatly from its console-based restrictions, and I don't doubt the same to be the case looking at it from the other side.

That being said, there are of course the simple (or not so simple) economics of game development that simply make it highly unlikely to sustainably fund a game of Skyrim's scope on a single platform, especially the PC. I also agree that crossovers between platforms do enrich both cultures (as long as one doesn't end up supplanting the other).

But charmingly-monikered HNR;B1 just didn't make the required effort in my book, and they deserve to be called out for it. Plus, of course, to add insult to injury, there is to my knowledge not even a doe-eyed sinister PCMR supervillain-girl to optionally upstage the four console trollops! ;)

Last edited:
Sorry joxer, but you're wrong. You CAN play the game without a controller, you just have to get used to the keyboard controls.

So you can stop spreading false information.

I also assume that's why 0 out of 26 people found your review helpful. :)

Isn't he always pretty much wrong?

Anyways, I'm not sure why some are so horrified that they may have to use a controller....it's pretty simple in this day and age to set up.

After having read this entire thread part of me wonders why, the other part simply smiles and agrees wholeheartedly with Moorkhs fantastic post two steps up.

Isn't he always pretty much wrong?

Anyways, I'm not sure why some are so horrified that they may have to use a controller….it's pretty simple in this day and age to set up.

But I'm a PC gamer! I shouldn't have to play with an inferior control scheme designed for little kids with a 40-year-old console that is barely able to play Pac-man! Look at my framerate! It's over level 9000!!!!

:biggrin:

Just curious. Maybe we can get some discussion about the actual game going on. :)

I'm so sorry, Fluent. You're trying so hard. :D I bought this game and it couldn't interest me right away. Your enthusiasm makes me want to reconsider. :)

Poor ratings? It's a fun game. I think it is well-suited for a platform like the Vita, too, since you can control it faster and easier with the control layout of the Vita.

I wasn't sure what to think of it. I bought it on a whim. Yes, it's a Vita game and therefore the graphics are not quite PS3/Xbox360 level. Maybe it's that. Maybe it's the too-cute characters or an unfamiliarity with the anime. Or maybe I should play the game past the first few hours before passing judgement.

I miss JRPG's like Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata. I was impressed when I first started to play those games. Maybe I got used to it. Or maybe I just need to up my dose every time like an addict and every JRPG needs to be better than the last to get the same high.

Is the story going anywhere at any point in this game? In the admittedly short time I played it, it seemed very superficial. The levels did not look very detailed. I haven't played enough to comment on combat.

It's still sitting in my Steam library, so I'll definitely check it out again some time. It didn't hook me right away, at least.

I'm so sorry, Fluent. You're trying so hard. I bought this game and it couldn't interest me right away. Your enthusiasm makes me want to reconsider.

You really should read that book Fluent likes. I think it has the power to make you like everything through some kind of mind control :)

If not, there's always Scientology!

I don't think I have the kind of money that would make it worth their while :)

I'm so sorry, Fluent. You're trying so hard. :D I bought this game and it couldn't interest me right away. Your enthusiasm makes me want to reconsider. :)

I wasn't sure what to think of it. I bought it on a whim. Yes, it's a Vita game and therefore the graphics are not quite PS3/Xbox360 level. Maybe it's that. Maybe it's the too-cute characters or an unfamiliarity with the anime. Or maybe I should play the game past the first few hours before passing judgement.

I miss JRPG's like Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata. I was impressed when I first started to play those games. Maybe I got used to it. Or maybe I just need to up my dose every time like an addict and every JRPG needs to be better than the last to get the same high.

Is the story going anywhere at any point in this game? In the admittedly short time I played it, it seemed very superficial. The levels did not look very detailed. I haven't played enough to comment on combat.

It's still sitting in my Steam library, so I'll definitely check it out again some time. It didn't hook me right away, at least.

That's funny, because Tales of Vesperia didn't hook me at all and I ended up stopping quickly. I didn't like the combat system too much.

HN;R1's graphics are beautiful. I'm not sure what you mean that they are not on a PS3 level. They look gorgeous in 1920x1080 60hz. At least to me they do. Very colorful with good resolution to the textures, and they certainly don't look old-gen. If they are in fact old-gen, they certainly fooled me.

The story does go somewhere, even though I've only played 5 hours into the game, it is unveiling new characters, plots, settings, etc. to deal with and slowly learn about. I've also traveled to a new city, which is an entirely new setting, a steampunk, somewhat dirty world, and learning a bit about that as I go. So yes, I think the story is going somewhere and I'm interested to see what happens next.

The combat is fun and very challenging against tougher enemies. Play more and you'll see. It's also very tactical and strategical once you start unlocking special moves and utilizing your combos in a proficient manner. You can customize your combat strategies to work however you see fit, and it's been fun experimenting and learning how to best utilize the tools the game gives you for combat.

So, I do think it's quite a neat game. You should try it and play it for at least as long as I have, which is approaching 6 hours. The game is still introducing new concepts to me and I'm not that far into things, so there is quite a bit of depth here.

You really should read that book Fluent likes. I think it has the power to make you like everything through some kind of mind control

It's far from anything like that. Robert Anton Wilson was simply a brilliant thinker and a very smart man during his lifetime.

Here's a good interview of Mr. Wilson that you may find interesting. It's far from a Belief System he's trying to sell you (Wilson aptly referred to Belief Systems as BS :D), just some fun thinking about how the mind operates.

http://www.american-buddha.com/maybelogictranscript5.htm

I'm sorry, DArt, but seeing your posts often brings me back to his Cosmic Schmuck principle. :lol:

But the good news is, the more we realize we're acting like Cosmic Schmucks, the less of a Cosmic Schmuck we will be.

So there's still hope for you yet, DArt. :D

All I got from that is that you should be careful with certainty - which seems to promote my line of thinking a lot more than it does yours ;)

I'm CERTAIN that I'm going to think positively and attract positive energy!

You'd do well to read his book, Prometheus Rising, as well. What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves! :)

And then watch the movie, The Secret, to understand why I try and remain positive about things. :)

You're not exactly the first person I've met that tried to remain positive about things :)

It's really quite common - and people have a variety of sources when it comes to inspiration.

Buddhism, for instance, is a very popular and trendy philosophy in this age of stress and too much input.

It's a valid enough approach, and I sympathise with the need to make things easier to digest - especially if you have that much energy in your system. It can be very uncomfortable to deal with mixed thoughts when your mind is racing constantly.

That said, I chose - long ago - to take reality as it was, rather than as I wanted it to be. Not always easy and definitely not always comfortable. I don't think filtering things through a positive-only net is a good way to get at the heart of reality. We don't need self-help books or wise men to teach us how to live life in the best possible way.

All we need for that is to perceive and deal with what we perceive in our own way. People get confused because they refuse to accept reality and listen to their own minds and bodies - seeking help to "figure it out", when it's just a matter of not escaping.

But I find it gets easier the more you do it, and I don't really find things to be positive or negative. That is to say I'm not affected to the same extent as some people are by criticism or facts that get in the way of the impossibly ideal version of something.

What the Thinker thinks the Prover proves, so I *choose* to think things are great, the future is bright and the world is getting better every day. The Prover inside my mind then proves that it's true. That is the way I think and it's very simple to understand. ^^

So much about anyone's concerns about derailing the thread...

;)

Yes, I apologize for taking it off-topic even more! Let's focus on the game. :)

After playing Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 I can recommend it:

++ challenging turn based combat, with many skills and gear upgrades
++ dungeons can be adjusted, new locations can be unlocked
++ the game doesn't take itself too seriously
++ the female main characters are funny, hilarious & charming and have a great friendship
++ game is full of references that only seasoned gamers will get
++ funny dialogs
++ challenging boss fights
++ entertaining story

- - some grinding
- - respawning
- - some recycled maps
- - playing with keyboard and mouse is a challenge, but can be learned

If you want to play a serious RPG look elsewhere, but if you like challenging fights, hilarious charming characters and lots of humor this could be a game for you!

PS:
Main tips for mouse and keyboard play:

don't play with inverted mouse control
use W A S D to move
use cursor keys to select targets
use 'o' in the main menu to equip your characters, save, load, etc.
always use the mouse for combat actions (-> click on the controller key-symbols)
use left mouse click in dialogs to get the next sentence

Back
Top Bottom