Ancient Frontier - New Content Patch

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new patch for Ancient Frontier introduces some new mission content and a new playable ship called the Manticore.

Greetings Commanders!

Today we reveal the new Outrigger ship the Manticore class heavy cruiser. This appears along with several new missions where you fight the Outriggers in the Alliance campaign. Finally, we have addressed a few minor bugs.

The Manticore

This massive heavy cruiser is constructed at a secret location known only to the Outrigger engineers. Packed with stolen modern weaponry the Manticore is one of the most modern ships on the Frontier.

The primary weapons of the Manticore are twin Coil Cannons. Coil technology was originally developed for the Federation by the Outriggers, and they kept the blueprints of the technology. Coil Cannons are long range, accurate weapons that add extra shield damage. As primary weapons the main guns allow the cruiser to deal heavy damage even through shields.

Located in the center of the chassis is a massive Drive Harpoon. The harpoon is a perfect weapon that compliments the scavenging ways of the Outriggers. It drains the energy from the main engines of its target, reducing its movement to a crawl. This allows the Manticore to stun its prey before moving in for the kill and eventual juicy salvage.

These weapons are backed up by an imposing set of quad Shredder Cannons. This is stolen technology from the Pirate clans, and serves the Manticore well. It provides very high damage at short range for engagements that close in.

All of this weaponry makes the Manticore very capable in duels with other capital ships. What really sets the ship apart, however, is its anti-fighter abilities.

First, it houses a pair of hanger bays. These typically house two Gunship heavy fighter squadrons. However there are rumors that there are Manticore captains that prefer to use lighter Explorer squadrons to better scout out targets to ambush.

Second, it uses a massive battery of eight pulse laser turrets. Pulse laser technology is closely guarded by the Federation and the High Temple on Mars, and how the Outriggers were able to steal this coveted piece of technology is unknown. The turrets allow the Manticore to deal with enemy fighters even if it loses its own squadrons.

All of this makes the Manticore an ideal flagship for an Outrigger fleet. While rare, the few that do exist are very deadly.

New Missions

There are a total of 4 new missions available in the Alliance campaign. All of the missions are optional Bounty missions, but they give the Alliance player more options for the enemies they face.

There is one new mission in Tarsis, two missions in Hadron, and one new mission in Cygnus. Hopefully these missions add a few more choices and a little more variety to this mid game stretch of the campaign.

In addition Outrigger forces (and related rewards) have been increased in missions for both campaigns in Tarsis, Arx, Hadron and Cygnus. The Outriggers are out in force. Beware of the Manticore!

Bug Fixes
Fixed a bug (again!) where the tutorial would crash upon beating the second mission.
Fixed a bug where collecting items was not registering in a Federation story mission in the Externus sector.

Known Issues

We are aware and have confirmed that not all of the 58 events are showing up for all players. We are still looking into what is causing this and hope to have a fix soon (tm).

We hope you enjoy these updates, and thank you for playing our game!
More information.

It's one my wishlist for a while now, but has anybody here already played it? It seems right up my alley, but somehow I'm reluctant…

Btw, what happened with that Sid Meier tactical space offspring of Civ: Beyond Earth. Did it ever release?

It's one my wishlist for a while now, but has anybody here already played it? It seems right up my alley, but somehow I'm reluctant…
I haven't played this game yet so no opinion sorry.
Btw, what happened with that Sid Meier tactical space offspring of Civ: Beyond Earth. Did it ever release?
It was released in 2015 and has mixed to negative reviews.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/app/282210/Sid_Meiers_Starships/?curator_clanid=32844624

It's called Sid Meier's Starships.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom