Youtube is pulling the plug for small creators

Kordanor

Wastelander
Youtube announced that they want to fight exploitive accounts by making the barrier to enter the youtube partner program higher (link).
That means from the 20th February onwards you will need to have 1000 Subscribers and 4000h watched during the last 12 months, which hurts lots of the small youtubers as well.
Even old channels putting out content for years like mine are affected as these channels will actually lose their status.
And by losing the status, you don't just lose the possibility to monetize on the videos, you also lose the ability to use the "cards" which, after youtube disabled notations, are now the only way to link to other videos during a video.
In addition you will also not be able to use the end screen which also enables you to link to other videos or external pages with more info.

Personally I created 2 channels to separate my Reviews from the more "spammy" Let's Play channel. But this now bites me in the ass.
While I will easily surpass the amount of needed hours on the let's play channel (atm I am at 24612h) I am only at 623 Subscribers at the moment.
On my Review channel however I am not meeting either of the goals. I am only at 1120 hours of the needed 4k, and at 341 Subs.

As there are mostly German Videos on my channel and I am mostly playing niche games I guess my audience is rather small.
But by losing these features it would become even harder to grow the channel.

So…well, this thread serves multiple purposes. One is to let you know. The other one is basically a cry for help on my end: It would be great if you could subscribe to my 2 channels. You don't even need to watch or "like" anything, just subscribing would already help a lot.

This is my Let's Play Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Kordanor1982
This is my Review Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkxgQnnyuRxotg34KmFuUdw

And just to show you the (I think) only 2 short videos I did in english a while ago:
Flawed Dungeon Crawler Mechanics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPG474b7TTI
GalCiv 3 first steps tips (exploiting the systems, was luckily fixed now): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY5i6CurT88

Why don't you and @Fluent; join forces and make a video each asking each other's subscribers to go subscribe to each other?

That would be more effective than getting the 10 or 20 subs that might be generated here, though, obviously, every little helps.

Well, Fluent has well over 1.6k subs and will probably not have a problem (no idea if he gets past the hours watched criteria) Also can't imagine that a shoutout for a german Channel there has that much use either.

I think the scenario you are mentioning is working more for people who immediately get 10000 views or so with each video. If one of my videos gets 100 views after a couple of days I am happy. ^^
I could "mobilize" like 3-5 viewers at most (and fluent doesn't even need them).

If I had a Google account, I would certainly press the relevant buttons to assist you, but I'm afraid I don't.

To expand it to a wider argument - and you can maybe see how this ties into some other things I bang on about - I think this illustrates the danger of relying upon the whims of peremptory systems; it's very convenient, until it's not.

Yep, true. Got a good reason to store all the 4000+ Youtube-Videos I made on local hard drives. ^^

external.jpg

Last edited:
I thought it was a typo, but another video I just watched said 4000 hours of content in the last 12 months. But... no-one uploads 4000k hours a year, not even pewdiepie. 4000hrs is 11 hours of content a day, which would be impossible, for anyone.

Nah, the 4000h are basically content watched.
So if 8000 people watch 30minutes of one video, thats 4000h total.

Youtube is big business now of days...

How soon they forget how they got there.

Ah right, yes, 4k watched hours shouldn't be too hard. I only have 23 subscribers and haven't uploaded anything for about four and a half years but my watched time for the last 365 days is over 1300 hours.

Wow, looking at my analytics just now I can't believe my first upload was over 10 years ago! Maybe I should have stuck with it, but I never really found a single USP, I tended to upload anything I felt like uploading in that stubborn artistic sense of inflated ego over what was likely pretty rubbish vids.

I subbed for ya, K.

Thanks man! :)
@lackblogger;: Generally I'd just upload it in your case. As long as it's not embarrassing over a certain degree and/or might damage your "profile" (e.g. in the company your are working for) I don't see why not. :)

Yeah that's a rubbish change in policy. I've subscribed.

Thanks man! :)
@lackblogger;: Generally I'd just upload it in your case. As long as it's not embarrassing over a certain degree and/or might damage your "profile" (e.g. in the company your are working for) I don't see why not. :)

The closest I ever came to a USP was making animations in Microsoft Paint and/or integrating MS Paint animations into live action videos.

My second upload, now the first on my channel as I deleted my first try, uses badly drawn slides to parody the biggest flaw in a popular medium:

I like narrative animations the most and while I was laughably proud of the above 2007 upload, I could tell that the animation style probably put a lot of people off. So I concentrated on improving the graphics. A reworking of an Arthur C Clarke short story came in 2011:

This time the animation looked good enough so much so that a lot of people didn't even realise it was made with MS Paint. However, I got criticism that the narration and narrative was hard to follow. So next time I tried to improve the graphics again (HD had landed) and just do away with the narrative. A comedy-action short from 6 months later in 2011:

It still didn't manage to trend though and I felt I had gone as far as I could. MS Paint at this level of detail was starting to be more hassle to make than the reception they were getting warranted so I just burned out.

The final straw for my motivation was when they started the mass copyright takedown frenzy that allowed anyone anywhere to take down your vid on copyright grounds regardless of the legality of it all and my two mammoth reviews of The Twilight Zone season 1 and 2 were removed by CBS somewhere around late 2013 early 2014.

That, combined with the fact that I'd need to upgrade to a MAC, learn all it's programmes from scratch and ditch the whole MS Paint thing if I wanted to compete with new super-professional other youtubers, or buy greenscreens and better cameras for live-action shots, combined with people being allowed to copywrite you and claim all of the money from my own (almost) original work, all combined to make me stop caring.

If you liked the above, feel free to watch my other stuff or sub or hate or whatever, I even have a couple of really old RPG-related vids, but I'm not concerned about this latest youtube thing so don't treat this as a plea post. Its just an artist's showing off/embarrassing himself post, lol. I love criticism though, and should I ever try again, all comments about the flaws/good bits are sincerely welcome.

Edit: I messed up the links before I hit post, but have now rectified them. If they don't load feel free to ask for the URL links.

Last edited:
@lackblogger;
Hey, you made me think of Rowan Atkinson! You got the same teddy as he had! ;)

(Did not watch every second but saw bits and pieces skipping through the various vids. Had to smile seeing the police getting out to close the gate behind the sheep. Saw you kicking out teddy… and bringing it back in again to have s… sh, making teddy filthy. Never would have guessed you’re such an artistic and courageous guy. :) )

@lackblogger;
Hey, you made me think of Rowan Atkinson! You got the same teddy as he had! ;)

(Did not watch every second but saw bits and pieces skipping through the various vids. Had to smile seeing the police getting out to close the gate behind the sheep. Saw you kicking out teddy… and bringing it back in again to have s… sh, making teddy filthy. Never would have guessed you’re such an artistic and courageous guy. :) )

Yes, I got the Mr. Bean thing a bit during my Jarbish series, particularly The Suitcase, because of the teddy bear thing and some silly physical comedy. Though likely some deep memory comparisons occurred, I made no conscious attempt to ape the bean. My teddy was hand-crafted by a long dead great aunt who was born in the late Victorian era and is as old as me, lol (the teddy that is, not the great aunt :O ).

Back
Top Bottom