Last game you finished, tell us about it

Pathfinder: Kingmaker

For me it was the best party based game after Baldur's Gate which it is the true spiritual successor of.
So much to tell but I keep my mouth shut for the moment.

seemed like a rip off from fallout 3 which in all fairness was a rip off from various books/movies/earlier games (talking about the worship of the nuke).

The origin in terms of gaming is Wasteland 1 - Servants of the Mushroom Cloud who worship the great glow. Seems pretty reasonable for a similar concept to be in Wasteland 2.

Didn't planet of the apes predate wasteland 1?

I'm talking games of course. Although you are correct that Beneath the planet of the apes was most likely the inspiration for the cult in wasteland.

The point I am trying to make Wasteland 2 was merely copying itself rather than Fallout. It was Fallout that copied Wasteland.

Last edited:
So much to tell but I keep my mouth shut for the moment.

You could write that down offline and present it to us months later. ;)

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales

I just finished playing through this game. To be honest, it is a reasonable game, but unless you like puzzles, it's not amazing. The production values are great and (almost) everything works the way it's supposed to. The voice acting is generally good and the storyline and quests are mostly well-written.

However, in the end it is just a glorified card-game. It is short and not too expensive, so I finished it, but I am very unlikely to ever replay it.

One complaint I've heard over and over is that it is too easy; did you find this to be the case ?

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales

I just finished playing through this game. To be honest, it is a reasonable game, but unless you like puzzles, it's not amazing. The production values are great and (almost) everything works the way it's supposed to. The voice acting is generally good and the storyline and quests are mostly well-written.

However, in the end it is just a glorified card-game. It is short and not too expensive, so I finished it, but I am very unlikely to ever replay it.

One complaint I've heard over and over is that it is too easy; did you find this to be the case ?
The battles were pretty easy for the most part but some puzzles were hard.

Overall, I think the ai is not very good.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last game I finished was:
D::OS-2: I played what is now the classic version twice in tactical mode prior to playing the definitive version and so these comments will mostly compare the two hence spoilers:
For this game my party consisted of Ifan, Sebille, Beast and Fan as my main. I found the definitive version pretty much identical to the classic with the following changes:
First combat has been changed or balance so the curve is quite different. Most of the game through nameless isle ('cept 1 fight) seemed a lot easier than the classic (on tactical) and this seems the observation from most people on steam. Arx esp mid/late arx had many fights that seemed excessively difficult. Perhaps I should have done a better job optimizing my weapons/armour via runes. Not sure there but i did find several items that seemed significantly more powerful than previous plays (web search suggest that some of these items are new to the definitive version). On the other hand even the last fight in the 'hard mode' was doable but only because I cheesed by using idol of rebirth (which I had not used in previous plays). Basically the idol of rebirth allows resurection with one action point. So what this means is that i found combat too easy in the first 3/4 of the game and boderline but more difficult the last 1/4.
-
In terms of area change - I noticed no real change until you reach Arx. I liked the Arx change as it adds three possible new encounters prior to entering the city and these were more interesting than many others in the game (though in all honesty none of the side events in this game compare to what Witcher 3 offers). The changes make the transition cleaner but doesn't really add much for explaining the story.
-
Bugs:
This version of the game had a ton of bugs both quest (maybe these are old and I didn't trigger them) and mechanics. The game was fairly clean until I reached driftwood where I ran into 10 or 12 'quest' bugs where things that i think used to work broke the quests. Some were petty (can't talk to lizard in lizard form if shape shift) to really annoying - free the possessed but can't close the quest. I did not notice so many quest bugs in nameless isle and only one in arx.

However, the game itself has numerous annoying bugs. I did not experience crashes but chief among the game bug is an inventory locking bug that gets trigger incorrectly and prevents you from accessing inventory of some party members during combat. Need a resurrection scroll; ack can't use it my inventory is locked…. very annoying.
-
Enjoyment: To be honest the game really dragged this play. I can't put my finger on why - played it before and it is old? Combat was the major draw and it is even less interesting ? Annoying bug that force reloads during long fights ? Realization that the story telling is pale in comparision to witcher 3 (I didn't like witcher 3 combat but the riding mechanics and story telling were top notch); Overall i would on hindsight rate the game a 7/10 - ok romp but not a love affair. \
-
Btw for this game Fane was my main (noted above) and I will say that he has some unique interesting endings - but would I use him again - no. If I play once more he will not be in my party.
-
THe primary reason I've played multiple times and the draw of the game are IMHO the origin stories which are the best part of the game. This time I played fane (whom i do not like but he did provide some very unique endings - i replayed the last fight multiple times to get multiple endings). Will I play again? Probalby once more since I want to check one more origin story from the player perspective and unfortunately this origin story is resolved late in arx.

Do I recommend the game - not really - i did when it first came out but I've soured on it and this revamp has made combat less enjoyable which was the major draw.

Last game I finished was Mutant year Zero road to Eden. It took me approx 19 hours to finish on hard. I think i did about 98% of the game (missed a couple of artifacts; but found all the notes). I think it is a decent game - obviously it is not a grand adventure and the game mechanics are simplified in some areas (skill trees, death, ...); but it is also tightly balanced and has a bit of a story and lore. I think replay value is very low since everything is hand placed. You can choose 3 of 5 characters in your party (you start with 2 and find 3 more as you travel); but the skills aren't diverse enough to make a big impact on party make up. Also stealth weapons are not very powerful limiting what you can do with regards to stealth combat later in the game (you can use stealth to get into position but it becomes more difficult to isolate a single enemy for a quick kill as they become harder to kill). The game has 23 or so zones. Each zone is moderate size (larger than the tiny maps in dragon age 2 but not enormous). There are some interesting items and weapons you find and exploration is reward with scrapes and weapon parts (no crafting per sey but you use weapon parts to buy weapon upgrades).
-
I enjoyed my time in the game - wouldn't have mind it being longer - but at $1.45 an hour it wasn't bad.

Ok, while I've not completely finished Disgaea Five, I did complete the story line yesterday. The tale kind of lost me at about the halfway point, but the battles more than compensated. I'm not sure if I'll delve straight into all the post game content yet or try something else and come back to it later. If you did enjoy the first two Disgaea games, I believe the fifth one would be just as enjoyable. I found it equally playable with keyboard/mouse or control pad, whichever you fancy will work.

The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)

Great performance by both Ashley Johnson (Ellie) and Troy Baker (Joel) as well as a very decent action game. IMHO this game brings one of best depictions, if not the best, of a non-nuclear post-apocalyptic world set on our current stage of technological evolution.

We should have more games like this, outside of the always beaten "survival games like DayZ and siblings" path.

Now I'm playing The Left Behind DLC, which fills a certain "lapse of time" in the base game as well as tells some Ellie's backstory.

Last edited:
War in the North - 6.5/10

An excellent little snack if you're in the mood for a Tolkien action RPG with a bit of loot that's treating the lore with some respect.

It's not that long - I think around 12-14 hours. It has just enough of the good stuff to keep you going, even if it's rather repetitive here and there. Especially in the beginning when your powers are weak and you feel like you're grinding enemies more than in the later stages.

The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)

Great performance by both Ashley Johnson (Ellie) and Troy Baker (Joel) as well as a very decent action game. IMHO this game brings one of best depictions, if not the best, of a non-nuclear post-apocalyptic world set on our current stage of technological evolution.

We should have more games like this, outside of the always beaten "survival games like DayZ and siblings" path.

Now I'm playing The Left Behind DLC, which fills a certain "lapse of time" in the base game as well as tells some Ellie's backstory.

Glad you enjoyed it! :)

One of my favorite games of all time - and I didn't even care that much for the gameplay.

Glad you enjoyed it! :)

One of my favorite games of all time - and I didn't even care that much for the gameplay.

I loved the gameplay also. And the only console game where I put up with aiming and shooting with a controller. For ex, I tried, and just refuse to play RDR1/RDR2 with a controller.

But Last of Us somehow made it borderline manageable. Or maybe it was the emphasis on stealth, and when shit did go down I could point Joel's left-handedness to the realistic setting and him being a civilian, with no military training.

God damn, when's TLOU2 coming?

henriquejr said:

Left Behind is one of the most superb and caring DLCs ever made imo. It's basically more of the same goodness, but on a slightly different note.

I loved the gameplay also. And the only console game where I put up with aiming and shooting with a controller. For ex, I tried, and just refuse to play RDR1/RDR2 with a controller.

I agree about RDR2 - what a painful control scheme. I'm going to play it on PC or not at all.

I've yet to play a single game to any serious extent on my XB1X. Talk about a waste of money.

But Last of Us somehow made it borderline manageable. Or maybe it was the emphasis on stealth, and when shit did go down I could point Joel's left-handedness to the realistic setting and him being a civilian, with no military training.

The stealth was pretty good, but I found the gameplay a little too repetitive and action-heavy for my tastes. But the story and emotional underpinning was completely amazing.

I can still tear up a bit thinking about the story :)

God damn, when's TLOU2 coming?

Sometime next year, I believe.

But the trailers have left me cold so far. Seems to emphasize the violence and spectacle a little too much for my tastes.

Sometime next year, I believe.

But the trailers have left me cold so far. Seems to emphasize the violence and spectacle a little too much for my tastes.

Also my main worry. I hope to god it's not just a revenge story. NaughtyDog will probably do a good job, even with that, but I hope they managed to do more.

The main creative guy, Neil Druckmann, said that they'd only consider a sequel if they really thought of a good narrative purpose and direction. And I believe that was his intention, but I'm afraid the pressure to do a sequel to such a well received game (from Sony especially) might have made weaker scripts acceptable too. We shall see.

What is funny, is that it seems every Playstation generation ends with a Last of Us game. So TLOU2 will probably be remastered on PS5 also.

Isn't Ellie the main character in the sequel?

I haven't followed the sequel since it's Kiss video from E3.

So I could be wrong.o_O

Back
Top Bottom