Gothic 3 - Jowood releases sales figures

Imagine how many they could have sold if the game code wasn't a steaming pile of diarrhea.

They are just 19 "Piranhas" and cosidering the big world of gothic 3 they arent that lazy! You have to consider that Germany is a rich market and they sell there a lot by default. France+Germany(and satellites like Austria Swiss etc)+Italy+Spain+UK isn't a small market for a PC game too. They are in USA to expand their market but their selling base is in UE.

one of the best rules with pcs is: "Extra ram never hurts" I have 2 gig now, but i will add extra two gig on next spring.

The Ultima series is considered by many to be the best 'rpg' series ever made, though most of us discount 8 and try to pretend that 9 never happened!! :)

This is pure speculation, but wouldn't a high degree of market saturation at this point potentially harm future sales? G3 severely underperformed when considered against its expectations. I would venture a guess here and say that quite a few casual fans and curious other fellows would be turned off of the Gothic series after playing G3. Essentially what I am saying is that G3 is a very poor representation of the Gothic series. Those who were attracted to the series by prior iterations may be turned away by this version. I would guess that G3's sales volume was driven not by its own merit but by its predecessor’s. The way I see it, unless a lot of work is put into developing the game and perhaps enhancing it with additional content this success may actually have the potential to cause harm.
I also think so. The apparently rather low priority they give to patches can harm the ongoing sales of Gothic 3. This and the product quality perceived as disappointing by a lot of customers will probably harm the add-on´s sales figures. They have one chance to repair the brand with the add-on if it´s as good as NotR and nearly bug-free. If they blow it Gothic 4 will be an uphill battle.

Gorath, as someone with an inside track to PB, what are you hearing from them?

I´m not in contact with PB at the moment.

Just for perspective - Oblivion sold ~400K console and ~200K PC units in the first month of release. Who knows where those numbers are now.

I think reviews are taking a toll. If the game was less buggy and ran smoother there might be more hype. Who knows.

Let's hope for PB that all these people will also buy G4.

Let's hope there is a G4 and that it has an English language release!!

Let's hope there is a G4 and that it has an English language release!!

That depends on the american sales. But i think that G3 did sell reasonably well in the UK, so there is hope Corwin.

I hope PB aren't too frustrated about their product and start doing shooters instead.

Last edited:
One thing the Gothic series always lacked was a flexible toolset. One can replay the game only so many times and with the lack of a multiplayer option the only thing that can prolong a game's life is mods.

G3 was the number 1 game in Norway right after its release, and it was in several other countries using the English version as well, so I'd be very surprised if G4 did not have English voices as well as the German ones.

Yeah money talks. But i hope PB will do a game they want to make because it's their inner wish and not because they know exactly that they can do a lot of cash with it.
But i think i'm too idealist in this case.

One thing the Gothic series always lacked was a flexible toolset. One can replay the game only so many times and with the lack of a multiplayer option the only thing that can prolong a game's life is mods.

They said that a toolset for Gothic 3 will be released in 2007 but modding for Gothic 3 will never be easy. They should use the expansion release in 2007 to optimize the whole Gothic 3 experience just like they have with NotR.

I have seen on at least a few occasions that Gothic was always intended to be a trilogy.

well the ultimas were broken down into trilogies as well, which there were 3 of. gothic 3's story has wrapped up most everything that occured in the trilogy. so now if they do make a 4 it would be a far diffrent storyline. think of xardas as lord british and the nameless hero as the avatar. gothic has always found much inspiration from the ultimas, which is a great thing, and at least part of the reason why i enjoy the games so much. i wonder if richard garriot has played the gothic games...

Back
Top Bottom