Huawei ban

There is growing interest in the idea of open-source hardware - the RISC V open ISA is coming along quite well. I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a bigger push in this direction. Hardware poisoning is such an obvious vector for cyberwarfare, and co-operative, open designs that can be manufactured domestically for sensitive applications seems like a clear need.

This is a tech HELP forum people, not the P&R!! :)

The thread idea wasn't supposed to be P&R but rather what effect this ban will have on ordinary pedestrian who just wants a working phone with an acceptable price. And of course, as we're on rpgwatch, an effect on games developers. :)

So far all of it looks as "overrated end of the world scenario" as Huawei seems to have plan B on everything including ban from ARM. However, there is that other thing - prices.
Technology stepback aside as #1 rule of capitalism is garbage sells, it's still possible that thanks to Trump's move we see even more power in phones for less $ as one of biggest players is now struggling which is positive. On the other hand it's possible the competition, because one player is out of the game, just starts delivering lower quality
phones for the same price. I don't expect Caterpillar ever "dumbing down" their products to be honest, but we reached the moment where politics is messing with the market so anything is possible.

Mentioned also games developers. Thanks to android emulators we don't have to lose our eyesight as we can play outdated visuals phonegames on PC. But Google decided to pick sides in this "phones cold war" thus an appearance of a new OS on phones is imminent. Windows Phone is dead, but before dying it still had tons of software including games developed for it. Should game developers start thinking about porting products on yet another phone OS? Should we, PC audience, start nagging internet for another emulator? Would starting a games development company for that upcoming phone OS be a bad move? These are questions I can't think of some satisfying answer on myself.

Must be given to DJT, the man does not disappoint. He was told, years ago, he would speed up the game, contrary to the big O who stalled it.

DJT delivered. Such little wait: supposedly, ban over security issues (no evidences of it) and public declaration announcing this global ban is meant to arm wrestle China into a commercial deal.

Happened pretty fast.

This is a tech HELP forum people, not the P&R!! :)

A technical issue indeed. From bottom to top. And the little man is going to need help to know how to bypass this global ban set by US decree. The little man, the one who is likely to turn to this chinese firm offer.

Accepting a problem is a starting point to solve it.

Well something is just broken here. Trump now says he wants to use Huawei ban as part of trade agreement. Either the company is a spying agency for China Govt and there should be a total ban on us parts; or it is not and there should be no ban. How the freak does 'trade agreement' become relevant to whether a ban is required I do not know.

The BBC has quite a good article covering the main points about Huawei. I suppose it has an inescapable political aspect, but I think there's a legitimate discussion to be had about whether this tech can be trusted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/Huawei

Back
Top Bottom