Pricewatch!

New Humble bundle out today. Includes Brütal Legend, FTL, Eets Munchies, Trine 2: Complete Story, FEZ, and Mark of the Ninja. All games so far are available both with Steam keys and as a DRM free direct download from Humble Bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Current average is $4.40

I've been interested in Far Cry 3 for a quite a while now, as it is one of the few FPS games that fulfills my desire of giving players at the very least the option of a "stealthy" approach to encounters rather than constant, pure shoot-em-up.

However, I'm worried about the silly uplay requirement. Is there any valid reason to avoid this DRM, or is it tolerable?

It was tolerable for me at least - way better experience than I had with the recent HOMM. I'd say that even though Uplay is generally worth avoiding, the game is worth tolerating Uplay if you're interested in it and grab it at a good price.

I've been interested in Far Cry 3 for a quite a while now, as it is one of the few FPS games that fulfills my desire of giving players at the very least the option of a "stealthy" approach to encounters rather than constant, pure shoot-em-up.

However, I'm worried about the silly uplay requirement. Is there any valid reason to avoid this DRM, or is it tolerable?

Hilarious, I'm of the exact same mind. I too have had my eye out for Far Cry 3. OTH, from what I understand of the game play I'm not sure "stealthy" will get you through the entire game. But 15 bucks???? I too am leery of Uplay. I don't like it but I have about three games on their system. It's not that intrusive but who do they think they are???????? STEAM!!!!!

I got a special Steam version of Far Cry 3. U-Play servers were having issues, though, and weren't recognizing the key correctly so I was left with the standard version. I finished the entire game and they still hadn't fixed the problem so I'm quite unhappy with U-Play.

When you're taking over enemy bases you can definitely do it stealthy. You even get extra credit for it. Just don't come in expecting much from the story.

I think that there will be an Activision (crap) sale soon on Steam - maybe a weekend sale!

There is a lot of activity of Activision crapware on the Steam database (crapware because ALL of their PC games are extremely terrible ports and wasted bytes).

Rogue Legacy is 40% off on Steam this weekend. I've had my eye on that one. Anyone played it yet?

So I picked up Rogue Legacy. It's an interesting idea and generally quite fun, but it is frustrating. It's less a 2D roguelike and more a randomized bullet-hell and fast-paced platformer with loose/sloppy controls. If you expect it to be, say, a side-scrolling Dungeons of Dredmor you'll probably be disappointed, but it's fun for what it is. I don't think I would have felt happy paying full price for it, though.

The Humble Weekly Sale: Retro Shooters

This is the best one yet imo. Includes -

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
Shadow Warrior Classic Redux
Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition
Hard Reset: Extended Edition
System Shock 2

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Well this is somewhat odd. Normally they are pretty good in enumerating who the developer split is actually going to. In this case however they are simply going with the more nebulous "the developers" in lieu of telling you who is getting any of the money for any of these games. I would normally dismiss any concerns I had over this as Humble Bundle has built up so much good will that I could usually just assume they meant the people who made the games. In this case however I know that to be untrue for at least one of them - System Shock 2.

The developers of this game do not own any of the rights anymore. As part of agreements made when they closed, Star Insurance and Meadowbrook Insurance Group assumed all existing rights and properties icluding the rights to System Shock 2, except for the trademark. Along with its debts and obligations they also assumed its existing contracts (what this means is that for all intents and purposes they would fill Looking Glass's role in any existing contract going forward.) So since the trademark reverted to Looking Glass as scheduled in the original contract with EA, this means it too is property of Star Insurance and Meadowbrook insurance group.

http://techland.time.com/2013/02/13/13-years-later-system-shock-2-lives-again/

Night Dive was able to license these rights from the insurer and to distribute the game. I am very glad they did and are keeping the game alive by making it more readily accessible on modern systems. It is however disingenuous to refer to them as "the developers" when describing their split of the price. They themselves though are quite quick to emphasize that they are distributing and patching the original game and they do not refer to themselves or consider themselves the developers of system shock 2.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/many-questions-system-shock-2-comes-to-gog/

This is probably an oversight on Humble Bundle's part but it seems that the implication of saying a certain amount of money will go flatly to "the developers" is that it will go to the people who created the game or at least people who would consider themselves its developers. I also feel they are slighting Night Dive by wholly leaving their names out of the sale page - as well as the actual recipients of money for any of the titles. Rather than getting attention and thanks for the work they have done, I think what they are doing for classic games might be overlooked by some - who might mistakenly believe they're giving money that's going to the people who created the game.

They are normally much better about letting you know who is getting your money. I wonder what if any of the developer's cut for these games is actually going to "the developers"?

I'm happy to support companies that keep publishing games I loved and update them to run stably on newer systems. I just don't want to be sold a previously out of print book by an author I like, told the creator is getting a piece of the sale price, then find out that this means in its entirety the book binder who physically printed it rather than the author. Great on them for bringing it back into circulation, but give credit where its due and don't be coy about it because people might ask "who?"

EDIT: After looking up the publishing rights for most of the games, Devolver Digital who would be getting money apportioned for the developer cut for the Serious Sam games and they are the actual developer as well as current rights holder. They are also the publisher of the Megaton Edition of Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior Redux (also may have done any updating for both or either) here so I imagine they're getting that too, though I'm not sure if 3D Realms gets any of that if Devolver paid them a flat fee for publishing rights and gets all revenue. Hard Reset looks to be co-published by the original developer and 1C so I'm moderately confident they are getting that money here too.

Last edited:
The developer of everything Serious Sam is Croteam. Devolver is the publisher of the HD remakes.

The developer of everything Serious Sam is Croteam. Devolver is the publisher of the HD remakes.

Yep my mistake, then I guess it might mostly be a publisher cut rather than a developer cut except for Hard Reset?

It depends. ;) We don't know what kind of contract developer and publisher have.

Indie rpg - pay what you want:

http://bundle-in-a-box.com/

Pay what you want: Dungeon Fray, Empires and Dungeons 2, Frayed Knights: The Skull of S’makh-Daon, Hack Slash Loot, Inaria, Styrateg, The Siege of the Necromancer & Unemployment Quest, PC

Pay more than the average to also get:

Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land, Northmark: Hour of the Wolf, Telepath RPG: Servants of God, The Wizard from Tarnath Tor & The Wizard’s Lair.

It's actually not GoG's "standard" RPG sale; ie., no Infinity games, Fallout, Ultima, etc. I ended up getting Driftmoon, Septerra Core, and the Wizardries.

Back
Top Bottom