What games are you playing now?

Spent some time with For Honor, in both the campaign and multiplayer. The combat system is as great as it was in the beta. The campaign is ok, nothing to write home about. But in multiplayer, duels and fights are very cool. The unpredictable behavior of players is great.

I played the beta as well. I didn't find the combat all that great. I'm starting to wonder if I just missed something because many people are praising it.

I played a samurai and as far as I could tell combat just amounts to blocking or attacking in 3 directions left, right or up. for attack you have power and fast and then you have a sort of push move.

I didn't play long but it seemed pretty simple, block in what ever direction someone was attacking and attack in the opposite direction they're blocking. It did have a roll but you had to exit lock on mode to use it which felt limiting. It required 2 key presses to roll if locked on.

Was there more to it? It felt kind of barebones and boring. I wanted to like it too, so if there's something I'm missing please tell.

No parry or riposte?, no backstab, no special moves? Are there other weapons with different move sets?

Playing Final Fantasy XV now. As I expected, the game is beautiful, great music, but I hate the combat system.

I played the beta as well. I didn't find the combat all that great. I'm starting to wonder if I just missed something because many people are praising it.

I played a samurai and as far as I could tell combat just amounts to blocking or attacking in 3 directions left, right or up. for attack you have power and fast and then you have a sort of push move.

I didn't play long but it seemed pretty simple, block in what ever direction someone was attacking and attack in the opposite direction they're blocking. It did have a roll but you had to exit lock on mode to use it which felt limiting. It required 2 key presses to roll if locked on.

Was there more to it? It felt kind of barebones and boring. I wanted to like it too, so if there's something I'm missing please tell.

No parry or riposte?, no backstab, no special moves? Are there other weapons with different move sets?

The basics are:
- attack in 3 directions (left/right/top)
- block in 3 directions (left/right/top)
- attack with light or heavy swings in those 3 directions
- dodge in 3 directions (back/left/right)
- break guard and attack/break guard and push in one of 3 directions
- parry and interrupt guard breaks

Then every class has many combos. One of my favorite, playing as a Orochi, is to dash back when I see the enemy swing his sword, and then attack forward just as his swing missed me, and then dodge to his side. Which puts me in a good position to move into another chain. Very cool and satisfying.

What makes is all great, is how it all comes together. And when you pull off some of the hardest combos you just feel like a badass.

Here's a good sample of a pretty good Orochi player. Very cool stuff. And very entertaining to watch, especially if you played the game, and know what to look for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNtPp9Lmj8

Just finished POE (second play through; first was before whitemarsh came out). I found the combat and the story confusing at best - really wasn't that great (esp hate the combat system but the story was not that interesting - fake gods real gods what difference does it matter). Anyways I won't play POE again. Too many good games. Now to finish witcher 3.

The basics are:
- attack in 3 directions (left/right/top)
- block in 3 directions (left/right/top)
- attack with light or heavy swings in those 3 directions
- dodge in 3 directions (back/left/right)
- break guard and attack/break guard and push in one of 3 directions
- parry and interrupt guard breaks

Then every class has many combos. One of my favorite, playing as a Orochi, is to dash back when I see the enemy swing his sword, and then attack forward just as his swing missed me, and then dodge to his side. Which puts me in a good position to move into another chain. Very cool and satisfying.

What makes is all great, is how it all comes together. And when you pull off some of the hardest combos you just feel like a badass.

Here's a good sample of a pretty good Orochi player. Very cool stuff. And very entertaining to watch, especially if you played the game, and know what to look for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNtPp9Lmj8

Thanks for the reply, I obviously missed some stuff which isn't too surprising as I didn't have a lot of time to try it out.

Playing a heckuva lot of Caves of Qud right now. Its still in EA / beta. Other than that I'm dancing around from game to game, trying to find my secondary and tertiary games.

I'm currently trying EET mod for Baldur's Gate EEs and I think I overloaded it with other mods so I think I'll restart it. Also I'm in early stages of the first XCOM Long War, and I really like the challenge. But I must admit I'm "cheating" a bit by watching a let's play simultaneously to see what to do and what not to do. The last game I'm currently playing is Paladins. It's a nice little Overwatch clone and the first MOBA-ish game that I enjoy.

I've just added 3 mods to my Skyrim playthrough. Each of these are by the same author and expands Skyrim into the various borderlands around Skyrim. The author is JoopvanDie and I have no idea if they are any good yet. I'll take Vilja and Inigo with me and go explore them.

One thing that Fallout 4 did to me was make it so I hate complete silence while exploring. Lydia hardly talks at all and Mjoll is too repetitive. Vilja and Inigo both have thousands of lines of dialogue, so they are pretty good company. Both are decent at keeping quiet when sneaking too.

I'm also playing Oblivion again for the first time in a couple years. I actually really like Oblivion's main quest; much more than Skyrim's. I hate the extreme level scaling so I'll have to mod some of that out as I go. I've added Vilja to Oblivion too, but she's not as interesting in Cyrodiil. If someone has some great companion suggestions for Oblivion, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
I've just added 3 mods to my Skyrim playthrough. Each of these are by the same author and expands Skyrim into the various borderlands around Skyrim. The author is JoopvanDie and I have no idea if they are any good yet. I'll take Vilja and Inigo with me and go explore them.

I'm a bit of a mod junkie, so pls post thoughts re the Skyrim expansion mods once you've had a change to check them out.

So I finished playing a game called Deep Paths: Labyrinth of Andokost. Not a very long game, maybe a dozen hours or so, but was quite enjoyable. Reminded me a lot of Grimrock, and some older games of a similar vein. I'd recommend it if you like dungeon crawlers.

Today I started another game that just got released via Kickstarter, Shadows of Adam. This one reminds me of an early Final Fantasy game, and when I started it I thought it quite simple and easy. It didn't stay that way, and now I'm hooked! I'm hoping this one lasts longer than the prior game did.

I'm a bit of a mod junkie, so pls post thoughts re the Skyrim expansion mods once you've had a change to check them out.

Those 3 are pretty empty Kaos. The voices are just standard NPC lines and the quests make MMO quests look in-depth. It could be that these will improve over time. Also, I was playing the SSE versions and I'm not sure they're as fleshed out as the vanilla Skyrim mods.

I'm currently playing Morrowind, Iron Snout and NWN: The Aielund Saga.

Having a blast with Morrowind, decorating house, exploring, and improving my skills.

Iron Snout is a real fun game and it's free, check it out in steam! My piggy is kicking those nasty wolves ass ;)

Also playing The Aielund Saga for the third time - trying to refresh my memory on this since I'm planning on writing a review. I think this one isn't getting enough attention since it's a player made mod so probably not as well known as other AAAs or even indies - but this one really deserves some love.

Just started Tyranny - really enjoyed the prologue, then jumping into a very familiar feeling game was great.

Also playing "Warlock of Fire Mountain" on iPad ... I loved the Sorcery games, and this is a great continuation of that style of game.

Just started Tyranny - really enjoyed the prologue, then jumping into a very familiar feeling game was great.

Indeed. I actually enjoyed Tyranny more than I thought I would. More than PoE. Such an interesting concept, and the mechanics feel a bit more polished.

Personally, I've just played through ME1-3 while waiting for MEA. While it is an enjoyable experience overall, I have to say I keep getting surprised by just how bad the ending is. The worst part is that the dialogue near the end can't be skipped using space, unlike most of the dialogue in the game. It's basically 20 minutes of horror.

Not sure what to play now though, as my timing was a bit off regarding this replay related to MEA (I was supposed to be done much closer to MEA). Ah well.

Been wasting time, not really playing much, mainly just waiting for this Tuesday, when Torment releases. :D

And another game I'm starting to get really hyped about, is Horizon Zero Dawn. Everybody is just raving about it. Even the most critical of reviewers. So I'll probably be quite busy for the next few weeks.

Been wasting time, not really playing much, mainly just waiting for this Tuesday, when Torment releases. :D

That's a good point. Should be my next game. I guess I'll have to get a Steam key, as the GOG is still marked as "available closer to release".. can't get much closer than two days.

That's also what I'm doing too. Two more days, just two more days.

Playing ESO and waiting for June 6 (and Morrowind to dl).

Back
Top Bottom