Borderlands 2 - Preview, Mechromancer DLC Details

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Edge Online serves up a preview of Borderlands 2:
We’ve elected to play as Maya of the Siren class. She possesses a Phaselock special ability, trapping a single enemy in a hovering vortex so they can be used as target practice; think Mass Effect 3’s Singularity biotic power. The section we’re playing takes place in the midsection of an adventure Gearbox VP Steve Gibson tells us will last roughly 60 hours should you choose to rinse all the side quests.
...while IGN talks about the Mechromancer DLC:
It’s easy to understand why the Gearbox co-founder really digs Borderlands 2’s first DLC character, Mechromancer, first revealed at Pax East in April. She’s a gadget fanatic, a maker of things, pulling together the usual lawless-land detritus to fashion useful stuff, like a killer robot called Death Trap (D374-TP).
Clearing the computer gear out of our way, Pitchford explains, “The idea behind her is that she's really good with technology and good with equipment and machinery and stuff.”
Lugging the box and the cables to a spare corner of his office, he adds, “She's built this horrific giant robot that's called Death Trap. She can digistruct it into existence wherever she is, and send it to do stuff. Death Trap's kind of like this crazy pet for this little girl that's survived out in the wasteland.”
More information.

The mechromancer truly intrigues me - a gadget-lobbing Punky Brewster death machine. I can't wait until its release! It should also be noted that it's free for all pre-orders.

And, before anyone bemoans them for cutting content for the sake of DLC, they had barely done any work on the class beyond the basic concept as of like a month ago.

Good. Another game i don't have to worry about until it hits bargain bin with all the DLC-s included.

God, you guys can really be bonkers at times. FYI, this is one of the first articles with more, albeit vague, detail on the mechromancer class. There has been tons of coverage on the base game. Are they cutting content from the finished game? No, they are not. Would it make more sense to advertise for free DLC w/pre-order after the game has already shipped? Are you daft?

I hate to be an apologist, but I really grow tired of this 'DLC is anathema' bandwagon. The simple fact is that additional content has to be in production before the game ships or else it will wind up shipping when players have moved on from the game. Case in point: Dawnguard. Forgiving its technical letdowns, many people had grown tired of Skyrim by the time the first DLC finally rolled around.

If you truly wish to focus on something, focus on the improvements made to the Borderlands sequel that specifically improve the game for the PC audience.

I'm in the middle. I don't normally care for DLC; however, BL1 had four of them (to my knowledge) and while one was pretty good, and two and four downright blew, the third DLC was the best I have seen, in any game to date. It easily added twice the playtime to the game, for 10 extra bucks (and the Armory bug didn't hurt).

Back
Top Bottom