AC: Odyssey is a full-fledged RPG...cool!

On ps4 everything is rpg. You're roleplaying a mushrooms addicted masochist. :)

Hey, is the parkour in Origins similar to Odyssey? In other words, I almost can't f^ck it up in the latter. The reason I never played the earlier titles was mostly because I absolutely suck at parkour. Hand eye coordination is a thing of the past for me.

Hey, is the parkour in Origins similar to Odyssey? In other words, I almost can't f^ck it up in the latter. The reason I never played the earlier titles was mostly because I absolutely suck at parkour. Hand eye coordination is a thing of the past for me.

Yes, hold shift and w. I don't think it can be messed up. at least I never did. Combat will require some hand eye coordination though.

Hand eye coordination is a thing of the past for me.

Have you tried cRPGs rather than aRPGs, crpgnut? I'm sure you could adapt and I've heard some of them are quite good once you get the hang of them.

Parkour in both Origins and Odyssey is automatic not relying on player's reflexes but on MC background/biography as it should be in a RPG. In previous AC games it wasn't.

I watched the beginning of Odyssey and the game clearly expect you to know things that happened in a previous game, so I take it that if I want to start this series in the current storyline I'm better starting with Origins?

Forget about the background story unless you plan on playing the older titles too. It's ridiculous anyways. Thankfully, those parts are very brief.

Okay, why is this just an expansion and not a separate game of epic length (storywise)?

@joxer; It's probably a short story to tell. "So this is Atlantis... aaaand it's gone."

It's actually as large as the last expansion Legacy of the First Blade, and that means it will be released in three episodes again to extend the live service model lifespan.

So the game should finally be complete sometime in June-July.

@joxer; It's probably a short story to tell. "So this is Atlantis… aaaand it's gone."

No. Origins expansions weren't one afternoon to complete rubbish and neither are Odyssey ones.

They are just putting value into that season pass…which in retrospect is a very good deal even if the game end up costing over $100 for base box + pass when not on sale.

But I bought the Odyssey Ultimate version (on sale) for the price of the season pass (not on sale)…so… :D Now I just need to find the time to play it and put some distance between starting it and Origins (once I finish it).

I'm getting pretty bored with it now that I'm around level 20. It's just too repetitive. I love hitting the historical markers but I'm basically trying to avoid any type of combat because it's just so dull. I suck at melee combat but I can't remember the last time I lost to something my level or one above.

As far as ship combat, I'm not into that at all and have a cheat that makes my hull invulnerable and my rowers never lose stamina. I never fight at sea, I just run. I'm sure I'll have to fight a couple times before game over.

Since I don't have to upgrade my boat ever, that means I can spend all my resources on weapons and armor. I haven't really needed to use the gold stuff. In fact, I mostly use the stuff I started the game with; except for weapons.

My goal is to find momma and then kill the cult; hopefully w/o fighting too many other battles. I may just turn on god-mode to finish the story. We'll see. Still got my money's worth easily and will buy Origins if I can get a great deal on it.

I think Odissey it's a great game, and a good rpg.
The graphics and the historycal reconstruction of the ancient greece is amazing, but after a while the gameplay become repetitive and the writings are mediocre.

FWIW, Uplay has Oddysey for 30EUR now, and a the Mythgology pack containing Oddysey and Origins for 45.

pibbur who wonders if he should buy it.

EDIT: Apparently they also have Origins gold edition with all DLC's for 27.

EDIT2: I bought Origins gold. Egypt was more tempting than Greece. On a side note: Downloading the 64 GB game (to a HDD, not enough space on my SSD's) took around 15 minutes. My first modem (2400 bit/s) would have spent 11 months doing that.

Last edited:
It's a good game. Graphically stunning. But yeah, it's repetitive. I pick it up once in a while and play a bit, but I'm only level 8 or so and it already feels repetitive.

Ubisoft games generally feel kind of sterile to me. Can't put my finger on it exactly. They've nailed certain systems and are very polished, but there's always a sense that I'm playing a game—they aren't very immersive, regardless of the graphics, animations, locations and writing.

The thing that blows my mind when playing this game is that the land and world seem so big, but Greece is a tiny country of less than 60,000 square miles. It is smaller than most states, in the USA, but has so much interesting history. So many great thinkers and inventors lived during this era, it is truly a wonder. That is the part of the game I love.

The USA is like a teenager compared to a great grandparent that is Greece.

Ubisoft games generally feel kind of sterile to me. Can't put my finger on it exactly. They've nailed certain systems and are very polished, but there's always a sense that I'm playing a game—they aren't very immersive, regardless of the graphics, animations, locations and writing.

Their game world is presented via checklists of todo to complete (treasures to find, amount of leaders in a camp, POI, quests, etc). Also, outside a few quest givers, most NPCs are AI bots without personalities that get replaced if they die.

Immersive Sims games don't actually label anything via the interface outside maybe quest markets these days. They let the player find things.

Back
Top Bottom