The TV Series discussion thread

Watched a Game of Thrones documentary - The Last Watch. A straightforward fly-on-the-wall documentary, which some might find boring, but I really enjoy seeing how such a project is put together. Subtitles for those baffled by the Belfast accent. :p

Started supernatural season 14 back up again.

Good old Supernatural. Sure, it's schlock, but it really is a testament to the cast that they keep making those same creaky plots work season after season. Jensen Ackles should get some kind of special Emmy -- maybe not "Best Actor" but something like "Most Acting".

I haven't watched regularly in a long while, but I always have fun when I dip back in for an episode.

Not truly a television episode, but since it concluded a series, I'll give a big thumbs up to the recent Deadwood movie. It certainly wasn't perfect, but it was nice visiting that old place and many friends once again. I'll never agree with Milch's decision to focus on another project rather than finishing the Deadwood show, but this was a film well worth viewing for anyone that considers themselves a fan.

I've been watching two rather recent shows on television the past few weeks, the Chernobyl mini-series, and a Name of the Rose mini-series, I'd say both are worth viewing. The Chernobyl one should be shown in schools and universities, in my opinion, for all sorts of reasons.

Have to disagree on schooling through brits living in former USSR tv show. There are for sure vastly better and more informative documentaries abour Chernobil disaster and how/why it started the end of the soviet union.

Now I refused to watch the show, but I'm aware of two things. The people die suddenly of radiation in it (in reality, people slowly suffer for weeks and months before actual death).
The second thing is, well, is it historically precise? No it's not. And now I'm becoming Chien's best friend by mentioning just one name: Igor Khiryak.

Please note that I'm not SJW, but I can't stand drama/history/war and advertising those as "true story" crap. It's all fairy tales, 99.99% of them shallow and idealized, almost never done right (when was the last time you saw not a single 100% positive character just as in actual RL).

I'm sure the deepwater horizon movie was pretty accurate ;)

I caught the first episode of Too Old To Die Young, the new crime drama series with 90 minute episodes from Nicolas Winding Refn.

It's very tense, dark and deliberate. Every shot is a cinematic masterpiece that almost reads like a cell from a neon comic book. The pace is like reading that comic book as slowly as you can because you have been hyped about it for ages and want to savour every moment.

I think a lot of people here will like this one. Looking forward to the second episode!

I don't have the Amazon channel as of yet, but I've heard really good comments on Too Old to Die Young, so I might have to check it out. I appreciate the reminder!

I always find Refn a case of style over substance; pretty but vapid.

Got Twin Peaks S3 on bluray, really enjoying it (again).

Watched the first episode of Swamp Thing. I don't know, i really didn't care too much for the characters in this, seemed a little "generic TV-show number 243594" though certainly nothing wrong with the atmosphere. Story was super generic too. I heard its already cancelled. Probably not gonna continue watching this.

What i should watch is probably Westworld. i've never managed to get through the first episode (tried 2 times over the years), but i'm pretty sure its a solid show once you get into it..

What i should watch is probably Westworld. i've never managed to get through the first episode (tried 2 times over the years), but i'm pretty sure its a solid show once you get into it..

Westworld is one of the best shows on television in recent years imo.

It's a hundred times better than Twin Peaks season 3 was. :)

yeah i can see how not everyone likes Twin Peaks S3, it's certainly acquired taste.. i like the nightmare'ish vibe it has + tons of humor. Very unique.

Good to hear, then i have something to look forward to :)

I'm due for another rewatch of the entire Twin Peaks saga, especially the third series. Every time I watch it, I'm reminded of just how awesome the whole story is.

I always find Refn a case of style over substance; pretty but vapid.

I remember a weird moment back in grade 7 when my (single, old, ugly, female) english teacher asked the class of boys what they were looking for in a girlfriend. Everyone said things like good personality and no one admitted to good looks.

But whats so shallow about beauty? All that subconcious stuff going on in the back of our minds is everything! I mean, just the physics of it. It's just light entering your eyes, right? Tiny electrical signals being interpreted by your brain, making you feel things against your concious will. It's quite profound, really.

Anyway, I'm a little less optimistic about the TV show after the second episode which was mostly in Spanish, didn't make much sense and could have been a lot shorter.

I like Refns style and could easily watch 1.5 hours of "slow and stylish" but in a movie the pace would pick up more. The episode does climax with an event but it's hard to binge watch the series when it keeps going back to slow. :)

See, that's one thing I never do. I don't watch a lot of episodes at one time, even when they stack up on the pvr, I break them down and usually watch one every two to three days. I realized yesterday that I was getting behind on the newest Luther series so I watched the first episode of that last night, looks pretty good so far.

In the past, I have viewed multiple episodes back to back, but it wasn't my choice and didn't suit me.

But whats so shallow about beauty? All that subconcious stuff going on in the back of our minds is everything! I mean, just the physics of it. It's just light entering your eyes, right? Tiny electrical signals being interpreted by your brain, making you feel things against your concious will. It's quite profound, really.

Well, I didn't say pretty IS vapid - I said I find his work both pretty and vapid; a positive and a negative. If it were both beautiful and substantive, that would be marvelous.

I'm not too sure about the miracle of light entering the eyes - the same profound experience could be enjoyed by watching paint dry. :p

Well, I didn't say pretty IS vapid - I said I find his work both pretty and vapid; a positive and a negative. If it were both beautiful and substantive, that would be marvelous.
Yeah, his work isn't amazing but I see what he's going for. I'm always keen to see what he's doing next.

I'm not too sure about the miracle of light entering the eyes - the same profound experience could be enjoyed by watching paint dry. :p
Whatever turns you on. ;)

@Ripper; You have to admit it's a pretty awesome suggestion for a TV series thread. I was pretty proud to be the one bringing the news it had just released. Something different to watch. 90 minute episodes?! What's that all about, ay? :)

I'm sure I'll be taking a look at it, if for no other reason than I do like to see really great cinematography. What I'm expecting though, is something visually impressive, but dramatically rather lifeless and ponderous, punctuated with bursts of Grand Guignol. That seems to me how he rolls.

Back
Top Bottom