RPGWatch Feature - Dungeons of Chaos Review

I haven't played Knights of the Chalice. Somehow I'm still hoping in vain that it will eventually come to Steam and GOG.
The author of KotC said on his forums in the last week or two that he plans on working to bring it to Steam/GOG in the coming months. This is because he's losing his job, so he'll have the time to make it happen, and also needs the money :lol:

Thanks again to everyone for all the comments and feedback. It motivates me to keep on doing reviews like this one.

Well, then I guess I'll stop lurking and offer my thanks too. I love games like this!

I feel like little games like this are the most deserving of exposure. No one needs a Fallout4 review when Bethesda/Zenimax can fund ads on buses and segments on Conans clueless gamer; it's little games like this or… um…. Helherron and the like that we need help discovering. :)

Good review! Thanks!

Those graphics look perfect for me - the kind of thing I want on my Android.

But if its strictly combat and character creation that's going to get tiring quick.

This is the kind of retro nostalgia that works for me - and I think that's perfect for mobile. There's no way I'm going to play Knight of Chalice.

There is lots of exploration too. Combat, Character Creation, Exploration. But not much of a story or riddles, if that's what you're looking for.

Great review, forgottenlor. Unfortunately, I don't think the game is for me either, too old school for me :) In saying that, I wish someone will port some of the Goldbox games like Dragonlance series into NWN module.

It would have to be changed a great deal. First the gold box game had some very large involved combat, and also a six player party. The maps were also large, with a lot of empty space which you could move through quickly. That sort of scope is much too large to implement well in Neverwinter Nights, I think. Also the gold box games uses first edition D&D (AD&D), which is actually quite different from 3rd edition.

Well, then I guess I'll stop lurking and offer my thanks too. I love games like this!

I feel like little games like this are the most deserving of exposure. No one needs a Fallout4 review when Bethesda/Zenimax can fund ads on buses and segments on Conans clueless gamer; it's little games like this or… um…. Helherron and the like that we need help discovering. :)

Good review! Thanks!

I agree with you 100%. There are so many indie games on Steam now its overwhelming, and many have them have very few helpful reviews.

It would have to be changed a great deal. First the gold box game had some very large involved combat, and also a six player party. The maps were also large, with a lot of empty space which you could move through quickly. That sort of scope is much too large to implement well in Neverwinter Nights, I think. Also the gold box games uses first edition D&D (AD&D), which is actually quite different from 3rd edition.

Awww, that's a shame. I liked modding community for BG/IWD but I don't think anyone is interested in working on IE modding anymore (esp to port Goldbox games).

Awww, that's a shame. I liked modding community for BG/IWD but I don't think anyone is interested in working on IE modding anymore (esp to port Goldbox games).

Yeah, it's really too bad. I wish Beamdog would try and make some sort of tool to make IE modding easier but it looks like they're also done with it. Shame because the engine is still a lot of fun to play.

If he truly brings the first Knights of the Chalice to either GoG or steam, well, I'll be buying more than one copy. That has been a very long time coming!!

It's an odd opening paragraph. There was most certainly crafting in many of the Ultima games and with each entry in the series it attempted to give us more to interact with in the open world, not less. I don't see how those things being omitted from an rpg would be a positive. Good review though, on a deep sale it might be worth checking out for a while. And no this isn't my first post, I created a new account because when I signed up here over a decade ago, the internet wasn't quite the caustic sewer it is now and I was dumb enough to use my real name which led a creeper incident.

It's an odd opening paragraph. There was most certainly crafting in many of the Ultima games and with each entry in the series it attempted to give us more to interact with in the open world, not less. I don't see how those things being omitted from an rpg would be a positive. Good review though, on a deep sale it might be worth checking out for a while. And no this isn't my first post, I created a new account because when I signed up here over a decade ago, the internet wasn't quite the caustic sewer it is now and I was dumb enough to use my real name which led a creeper incident.

I chose poorly for my first nickname and got some weird replies too :) I chose Fantasy Lover and got a bunch of freaky emails and posts :D

I chose poorly for my first nickname and got some weird replies too :) I chose Fantasy Lover and got a bunch of freaky emails and posts :D

That's great. I picture some '80s long hair Fabio looking type with that nickname. :D

I can remember the late Ultimas having tons of interactive possibilities. I specifically compared DoC to Ultima 4 and the early Ultimas. It has the same huge open world and similar combat. Also you can "look" like you could in those games and have keywords like you did in those games. I'd have to actually replay Ultima 4 to see exactly how the interactive possibilities compare, but it was my (perhaps poor) memory that they were somewhat similar.

Back
Top Bottom