Persona 5 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Persona 5

Default Persona 5

March 30th, 2017, 11:28
This game is getting some awesome reviews but I have not heard of this series before.

Anyone here planning to play it and like to give me quick run down why this is the best game ver?

Persona 5 is a once in a generation game.
Persona 5's compulsive gameplay and infectious energy make it a standout RPG.

Persona 5’s well-crafted story, exciting combat, and deep systems make it my favorite entry in the series – and the best Japanese RPG in years
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment…review_thread/

lostforever

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

March 30th, 2017, 13:54
awesome ahihii

questionvisao

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

March 30th, 2017, 14:07
Give me a nudge when Persona 5 goes on Steam sale.
Till then, I've never heard of it.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)

March 30th, 2017, 14:45
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
This game is getting some awesome reviews but I have not heard of this series before.
Console exclusive JRPG/Dating Sim where you play a teenager in high school with high school drama and "demons".

It's a pretty well known JRPG series. Despite this being Persona 5, it's like the 10th game of the (Shin) Megami Tensei series (not necessarily sequels to each others).
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

March 30th, 2017, 21:49
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Console exclusive JRPG/Dating Sim where you play a teenager in high school with high school drama and "demons".

It's a pretty well known JRPG series. Despite this being Persona 5, it's like the 10th game of the (Shin) Megami Tensei series (not necessarily sequels to each others).
Eh? Is that like Huniepop?
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

March 30th, 2017, 23:01
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Give me a nudge when Persona 5 goes on Steam sale.
Till then, I've never heard of it.
So what games are you willing to pay full price for? Seems like you don't want to pay full price for Nier: Automata either.

Error404

Traveler

March 30th, 2017, 23:06
Don't mix apples and oranges. There is a huge difference between those two products. I've heard about Nier: Automata.
About Persona 5, never heard. For some odd reason, the title instantly disappears from my brain. I wonder why. Maybe the key is in my previous post and it's not the word "sale"?

btw, I never pay full price on a game, preorder discount always exists somewhere and if I don't preorder, that means I don't plan to play it instantly (backlog) so I can wait.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; March 30th, 2017 at 23:17.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 30th, 2017, 23:18
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Eh? Is that like Huniepop?
I had to google that.

I'll say not really, there is anime stuff and tb combat and cutscenes aren't huge thing and you can romance a few different girls…

It looks like this dammit.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

March 30th, 2017, 23:30
Don't mix apples and oranges. There is a huge difference between those two products. I've heard about Nier: Automata.
About Persona 5, never heard. For some odd reason, the title instantly disappears from my brain. I wonder why. Maybe the key is in my previous post and it's not the word "sale"?

btw, I never pay full price on a game, preorder discount always exists somewhere and if I don't preorder, that means I don't plan to play it instantly (backlog) so I can wait.
I'm not mixing anything. But you're still saying you won't pay full price for a 10 hour game which you have heard about but Persona 5 you haven't heard and yet you still won't pay full price for it. Which is it?

Preorder discount exists and yes I have seen many games get the 20%-30% discount treatment after their 1st week of release but what pisses me off is how you go off and think it's so great that you don't pay full price for the games.

Error404

Traveler

March 30th, 2017, 23:44
I played Persona 3 and Persona 4, Persona 5 should be similar so here's how it goes.
You are a senior year Japanese student in high school. The game has two 'sides', the morning 'social' side where you attend school, talk to your teammates, go to the mall, help people, etc. The more 'friendly' you are with a teammate, you get extra combat bonuses, also you get a partner-specific ending. Basically you live the student life for one year.

The night 'dungeon crawler' side is when you go down to dungeons, to kill some boss mob or whatever the goal is. To do that, you capture different 'personas' with different abilities and stats that you use in combat. For example, the 'Pegasus' persona has air attacks and is fast, while the 'Cerberus' persona has fire attacks and good dodge, and the Golem persona has great defense, earth attacks but is slow (this is all made up as an example). These personas grow up in levels to learn new abilities and increase stats, but eventually you want to transform those personas into new ones (inheriting some of the abilities the previous persona had) so there's a strategic side to Persona management.

Combat is turn based and tactical because of the Persona management thing. Also that's how you earn new personas which you can combine with other personas to create better ones.

In my case, one of the things I like the most about these games is that, as a Japanese student, you get to experience and learn about Japan's rich culture. Other people love the art style, and/or the music. So there's something for everyone.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

March 30th, 2017, 23:49
Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
I'm not mixing anything. But you're still saying you won't pay full price for a 10 hour game which you have heard about but Persona 5 you haven't heard and yet you still won't pay full price for it. Which is it?

Preorder discount exists and yes I have seen many games get the 20%-30% discount treatment after their 1st week of release but what pisses me off is how you go off and think it's so great that you don't pay full price for the games.
Eh? LOL
First calm down please. You did? Good.
Now tell me, is Persona 5 currently discounted on Steam?

Spoiler
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 31st, 2017, 03:54
There were rumors that this would come out for PC but… nope. PlayStation exclusive.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

March 31st, 2017, 16:14
Eh? LOL
First calm down please. You did? Good.
Now tell me, is Persona 5 currently discounted on Steam?

Spoiler
I'm not saying I did nor am I saying I didn't. My point is these developers get a fraction of the actual worth of the games they make and yet you go off thinking you did humanity a favor by not buying games at full price. I don't know, is Persona 5 discounted on Steam? Why don't you go find out and let me know.

Error404

Traveler

March 31st, 2017, 17:03
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

March 31st, 2017, 21:58
Please do everyone a favor and cut off your balls and don't procreate. What a fucking joke.

Error404

Traveler

March 31st, 2017, 23:14
Actually I'll do me a favor and put yet another codexian trolling amateur on my ignorelist.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

April 1st, 2017, 02:58
Error, you're missing the point. There isn't going to be a Steam sale because there isn't going to be a PC version to put on Steam in the first place. Or at least not anytime soon.

No PC version, no joxer. (And no Zloth, either. I'm interested in the series but there's no chance I'm buying a PS4 to play it.)
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

April 2nd, 2017, 18:33
Anyone be playing this, currently? I'll be damned if I'm not tempted by it.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

April 4th, 2017, 01:52
Well, it seems there's work being done to get the PS3 version working on a PC PS3 emulator.
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

April 4th, 2017, 02:02
PS3? But that hardware is more ancient than C64!

EDIT:
http://www.vg247.com/2017/04/04/pers…rices-ps4-ps3/
DLC for Persona 5 rolls out from April 4 and will continue will into June. There’s plenty of free stuff on offer, but if you’re a completionist you’re going to want to buy a whole heap of costumes, themes and avatars.

While the DLC is all cosmetic, to buy it all on PS4 you’ll need $114.72. To buy all the Persona 5 DLC on PS3 it’s a little cheaper, at $106.71.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; April 4th, 2017 at 12:56.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Persona 5