Setting for an Obsidian crowd-founded game?

What setting should Obsidian use for an original crowd-funded RPG?

• Fantasy

Votes: 34 19.3%
  • Historical

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Modern

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Steampunk

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Sci-fi

Votes: 23 13.1%
  • Post-apoc

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Technofantasy

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Western

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Horror

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters

Dhruin

SasqWatch
So, if Obsidian tried to crowd-fund an RPG with a new, original IP, what setting would you like them to use?

Polls only support 10 options, so feel free to add more detail or suggest alternative settings.

To me the lines between Fantasy, Western, Modern, and even Historical and Post-apoc are kind of blurry but will go with modern. Bring on the guns, let me fly planes, parachute into hotzones and learn some science tech. :)

my dream: Team-based rpg with great amount of dialogues and tactical combat (what dragon age pretend to be); fantasy? ofcourse! steampunk? great! just learn what to make better according to nwn2 (as you did with MotB) Obsidian!

Cyberpunk all the way. Followed closely by steampunk. The market is flooded with generic fantasy games so I guess a different setting would be a good thing for consumers and sales.

What does "Western" mean here ? The "Wild West" setting ? Because imho that would be great.

Voted Steampunk, cause I like Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura alot and games alike it would be welcome for me to play. But as long as they are able to make me immerse in to the world even if it is a little I don't care what setting.

What does "Western" mean here ? The "Wild West" setting ? Because imho that would be great.

I assumed it was "the wild west". It would be a refreshing setting

There are plenty of fantasy settings, and although I love fantasy it would be nice to have an rpg put in either into the "wild west" (stereotypical wild west, with indians and before trains, gatling guns etc), or perhaps ancient Greece or Rome (Age of Mythology...).

Another vote for Steampunk. I'd love to see something similar to Arcanum but with a modern open-world engine.

My second choice would be Sci-fi or Cyberpunk. We already have enough games using Fantasy or Post-apoc, and none of the other settings really interest me for an RPG.

Please put contemporary instead of Modern
Modern is actually before contemporary
thanks, I will vote MODERN, because I want Contemporary

Technofantasy, of course.

Except some very few games I haven't seen it. And I have never seen it done right.

Ahhh, whishful thinking...

I voted Western but I want a Cthulhu Western but I was thinking maybe it should have a basis in Steampunk since that would make it more interesting. Which do you think would win people in the "Wild West" with Steampunk technology or the "Great Old Ones".

I went with steampunk because I would like to see another game incorporate the magic vs. technology idea that Arcanum did so well. However, I agree with Igor that any setting would be fine if they create a fully realized world with interesting characters and choices.

I have to say I'm not really surprised by the results, but kind of disappointed too. A Kickstart by someone of CA's caliber could be a really great opportunity to explore stories we really haven't seen before. While Steampunk has some potential, the fantasy, sci-fi, and cyberpunk arenas have already been done. I'd think it would be much better to let him go to town on something unusual like an old school Winchester '73 Western (Jimmy Stewart, 1950) or something equally unusual.

I voted for historical because there's such an incredible breeding ground of human story to explore:

- You could tackle 19th century colonialism and post-colonialism. What if you're an average citizen celebrating the departing British government in your country. There's a charismatic young tribal leader consolidating power in the crown's absence. What will happen to you and your family?

- In the aftermath of the US civil war various political powers and opportunists begin changing Charleston S. Carolina. For the better? For worse? For vengeance? What about the newly freed slaves? What about the slaveholders? Where do you fit in to all this?

- You're a young kid in Pella watching this brilliant guy sitting at the feet of Aristotle, marveling at the responses and questions he redirects towards his master. Name? Alexander.

- Likewise turn Archimedes' life into an intrigue adventure involving his various inventions including the screw lift, hydrostatic machines, and not least the mirror death ray. The climax involves his excitement at developing a new branch of mathematics not dissimilar to Calculus. Can you rescue him and that research from the siege at Syracuse?

- Inception of the Qin dynasty in China. Essentially a story like the movie Hero. Very nationalistic, but also very colorful and cool concepts to explore.

Honestly it really goes to show that people like reliving things that they enjoyed in the past more than they'd be willing to take a chance on something new and different. Like choosing a cheeseburger instead of more adventurous food. Nothing wrong with a cheeseburger normally, but when you're at a Cajun family restaurant in SW Mississippi, why waste the opportunity going with what you already know you like?

Took me about 2 seconds to pick, and I went with western. Why? Well, it's very simple.....RDR. I bought a ps3 simply to get this game, and it totally delivered. I can only imagine how much bigger and better a similar game would be for the PC. We have tons of fantasy games, a western would be refreshing and almost new. And, if I'm not mistaken, RDR sold rather well, and I bet a lot of those that bought it also have pc's.

-Carn

I dont care what the setting is as long as its modern isometric but old school hardcore.

Voted sci-fi. I love sci-fi, but I rarely manage to find good RPGs set in sci-fi settings. I like the idea of some other, original setting as well (for example steampunk), but I've rarely seen it succeed in an RPG. In fact, I can only think of Arcanum as a really solid steampunk RPG.

I voted for Steampunk - but ideally it would be a hybrid. Steampunk + Fantasy (like Arcanum) or Steampunk + Lovecraftian Horror would be great.

Also a Steampunk + Weird West (like the tabletop Deadlands RPG) combo would be very interesting.

I'd also love to see a Jules Verne Victorian sci-fi type of setting - which of course would have steampunk elements as well.

If they did pure fantasy I would hope for it to not be Tolkienesque / dwarves and elves style as this is so done to death by now. We don't need another traditional fantasy IP.

Back
Top Bottom