Arcania - Official Sys Reqs Updated

PB build the best virtual fantasy worlds.

Risen in the G3 world and with a good ending ... a dream.

Watched some videos @ World of Gothic and if these reqs are indeed correct, then the game is an unoptimized mess, plain and simple.

You need to be careful with some of those WoG videos and check the source. A lot of the videos that are floating around over there right now are from the Russian beta test. It would seem fairly safe to assume that not all of those videos were recorded on high end rigs with the highest settings (apologies for maybe sounding a bit prejudicial in regards to our Ruski friends... I know that you're not all poor slobs and that you got some insanely rich peeps over there as well ;) ).
Anyway, here's a link to a HQ Arcania video (recorded at Gamescom) on YouTube (make sure to switch the resolution of the video to 1080p HD!). Game's looking pretty spectacular to my eyes. It at least gives you an idea where the high reqs might be coming from though only time will tell if or how unoptimized of a "mess" Arcania really is, of course.

Risen in the G3 world and with a good ending … a dream.
Piranha Bytes now has a modern, well-optimised engine and solid combat system, so all that remains is for them to have the financing and bravery to try something so ambitious again.

I wouldn't be surprised if Risen II plays things safe by being closer to Gothic II, however, with the third game being the one that gets crazy-ambitious again once both Piranha Bytes and Deep Silver are confident that it can be pulled off.

Impulse is having a pre-order sale for Gothic 4. Looks like they haven't updated the requirements yet. Does this smell fishy to anyone else?

Kinda tempting to get it, though. $7 is a much nicer pre-order bonus than a bit of lackluster armor or a ring that gives you an extra 1% xp. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if Risen II plays things safe by being closer to Gothic II, however, with the third game being the one that gets crazy-ambitious again once both Piranha Bytes and Deep Silver are confident that it can be pulled off.

Meh. Risen was already close enough to Gothic II IMO. I loved Risen (especially after the dissapointment that was Gothic 3) but I do hope Risen II will have a little more ambition that doing again a Gothic II-like.

-Sergorn

From another forum (from someone who read this "review".)

"Just read that beta review, here it comes:

- no trainers, teachers whatsoever (after each level you get 3 skill points you have to spend on 8 different skills)
- no sleeping and beds
- no theft skills - only stupid minigames to open chest
- NPCs don't act when you sneak around their houses
- you can't kill random NPCs (civilians etc)
- almost zero interaction
- combat is basically smashing left mouse button
- beta performance was bad on Core 2 Duo 3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 9800 GT"

So now "all" RPG's removes sleeping too (also not in TW2)? That sucks.. First it was diving/swiming, now sleeping… :( Disapointing that NPC's doesnt seem to react when sneaking, guess the game isnt so heavy on the AI after all ;)

Nah, i'll just keep on modding G2 i guess, i doubt even Risen 2 will be close to it.. Risen 1 was decent or even quite good (some parts as good as G2), but it didnt feel "complete" at all..

It wasn't that long ago when you could, sleep, jump, dive, swim, climb, clap, stir cauldrons, roast meat, pee, make potions, hammer on wood, mash weed, smoke weed, sneak, steal, pickpocket, forge weapons, etc'....and all on a pentium 600 with 256 mem on an office pc, we are going backwards at more expense. The need for uprading pc system and graphics just to hack and slash is an insult to evolving gaming. :(

The original Gothic had through-the-roof hardware requirements back in the days (at least with maximum settings). Especially the 300% view was a tough nut to crack for most PCs back then.

The Gothics have always been like that.

At least back then they could blame it on above average graphics (for RPG's) and, especially the NPC AI. Even Ultima7 required a monster computer back in the days because of its seamless world, NPC AI and "advanced" graphics.

After reading that "review" i watched a video of the combat and yeah, it looks way too mindless/stupid + i really hate the summersaults the hero does like every 2 seconds in his full-plate armor, ridiculous. Well at least there's TW2 and FO:NV.

Back
Top Bottom