Risen 2 Risen 2 (not performance!) bugs

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I've already noticed one then checked the official forum, and they numbered a few of them.

1. Voodoo quests get mixed up if you didn't bring all items needed to Slick before summoning the ancestor. It's not a gamestopper, while you don't see in the log what are you really supposed to do, if you bring all items needed to Slick, the game will "clear itself up" and continue as intended. - I didn't notice this as I solved every single possible quest on the island before making a choice but this could "hurt" those types of players who want to check if you can finish the game in only 1 hour while siding with natives and then their log gets messed up. ;)

2. Although learnt, your hero later forgets monkey training skill for whatever reason. However, you may still use your monkey to loot "secret areas"! But if you talk to a NPC that can train you this skill, you'll have the option to spend 1000 coins again. - I noticed this and it was the reason I went on the official forum in the first place to check it up and of course I'm not giving another 1000 since my monkey is alive and kickin'.

3. For whatever reason Slayne cannot be killed as you were supposed to follow him (and in such cases the game won't allow friendly fire) but you didn't follow him, the following "flag" doesn't wear off and you receive the task to kill him. Since you're "friends" as you were supposed to follow him, now you can't hurt him nor he can hurt you. Possible solutions are: reload the last saved game when you were on another island and replay Antigua, run towards citizens and hit them so they start hitting back both you and Slayne, lure him out of town and let monsters do the dirty work (hopefully you didn't clear everything) or kill him by using console "kill" command (dunno how to do this) - sorry didn't get to this part of the game yet, so no details about it from me, but will go on Antigua next and check it up.

4. Fool's Juice potion won't be added to your inventory when "cooked" - I did unlock potion making but haven't tried to make this specific potion so can't confirm.

And that's about it. There is a gamestopper bug with nonspawning character mentioned in Brother None's review, but so far noone confirmed it so it's perhaps a bug in the review version only.
Even if a few more bugs get discovered, can't remember I've seen a game of this size with less bugs in past 3-4 years.

Last edited:
I've only experienced the 2nd one so far.

Also, add one more:
The smith on the Sword Coast is supposed to give you King's Sword hilt, but instead gives you the Soul Caller hilt. This makes it impossible to complete King's Sword. I have yet to find a work around.

Update: Actually, it is still possible to get the hilt of the King's Sword. It's located in a chest near the beach of Maracai Bay.

Last edited:
I can confirm that I also do have two Soul Caller hilts.

When doing the quest to liberate the ship from Puerto Isabella, I couldn't get the guy guarding the cannons to leave no matter what I said or did. I had to sabotage the cannons one at a time while he he fired a musket at me. Same for you guys?

That probably isn't a bug but the design where you settle all disputes by winning a duel - since I've already looted some houses by grabbing stuff then winning servants/guards in duels I suppose this is the same thing here. You need to disable cannons one by one and each time win a duel against that guard. If there is a possibility to distract him somehow, I haven't found it and trust me I've tried everything I could think of, even using all those cannons around (but maybe I didn't find the correct target?).
Even if you're using voodoo to jump inside Sebastian, there is no dialogue option to give some order to that guard. Also if voodoo option, you can't make a doll to control that guardian and the only thing that came to my mind was to get a power sceptre and then force him with it to attack someone which would definetly get him away from the scene, but my voodoo skill was very low to do such a thing there (and is still too low for ppl control).

actually if you duel him first then he actually stayed on the ground the entire time while i disabled those 3 cannons. haven't gotten past the first 3 islands yet (went back to caldera instead once i got the ship) but i've also encountered the monkey bug which i think is a problem because most of us are learning the monkey skill when we have the attribute requirement with Largos black pearl earing. i noticed it some point after when i removed it and the skill dropped down that is when it became bugged. its a real bummer about the fools juice concidering that i've hoarded those rare herbs like all other pirahna games and after realizing that that smith gave me a duplicate hilt i reloaded and sure as shit didn't make him those 5 swords for nothing.

all in all after risen being my least favourite pirahna game, only played through it once this is shaping up to be an excellent game and hope it lasts forever...or at least 80-100 hours. around 25 hours at this point.

I did it the same way curious did - knock him to the ground and he stays down long enough to sabotage all the cannons.

Still, I think it's odd that there's not a peaceful/sneaky solution. Even if you use a voodoo doll of the Commandant, you still can't tell Bastiano or whatever to move.

there was a dialogue with him about his lost key. not sure if others did the same, but i had already looted that storage room well before the quest with the cannons. maybe that in someway breaks that nonviolent option in the quest?

all i know is the voodoo and monkey controls along with the companions add a completely new and much welcome element to the game/gameplay that i love.

my biggest complaint is i'm a few weeks in gameplay time and have been on 3 islands and still no rain? i'm guessing some of the other islands must have it. was quite odd when the thunder and lighting lasted for long periods but neither was preceded or followed by rain.

Rain is very rare, I've seen it just a few times and I'm 30 hours in the game (cleared 5 areas, but noticed that mobs respawned on Antigua in the meantime so I'll clear them first since I also got a new quest there to find Rick, then I'll check if there are new mobs on Island of Thieves and then proceed to 6th area).

In the meantime I've experienced the same thing JDR mentioned in another thread - after I've explored a part of an island, I get the map of the whole area. It's either a bug or a design choice. But I won't complain on this one. ;)

is the sword coast the largest map, ie are others around the size of the first one taracarigula (sp) or even smaller like caldera?
not sure how many chapters are in risen 2 but all other pirahna games have had respawing after certain chapters or main storyline progressions are completed. usuallly its minimal and not in all areas and its usually incremental so for those who don't explore early on the mobs can grow larger. also in the past caves/dungeon don't respawn so i'm guessin thats the same here.

True, in other PB games new (and harder to kill) mobs respawn after you hit the next chapter.
In RIsen2 seems that once you clear an island and go away mobs respawn - but just once! You can't repeat that indefinetly and then earn yourself everything on 10. Respawns also appear in caves.

I've explored so far 5 areas, Caldera is the smallest one. Just a quarter of Tacarigua's size is Isle of Thieves, and other 3 areas (Sword Coast, Tacarigua and Antigua) felt like about the same size.

I get rain all the time in Maracai Bay and Antigua. Not so much the other places, though I do get it every now and then near the native camp in the Sword Coast and on the Isle of Thieves.

Has anyone been able to successfully pull off a riposte during a sword duel? If so, how the hell do you do it?

@joxer u get the full map of a island if u find any treasure map.

for me i think is raining to damn much on some islands.
As for the game... one of PB best made in my opinion, as for me Gothic 1 and 2 are best in my RPG top games.

I've only experienced the 2nd one so far.

Also, add one more:
The smith on the Sword Coast is supposed to give you King's Sword hilt, but instead gives you the Soul Caller hilt. This makes it impossible to complete King's Sword. I have yet to find a work around.

I got the King's Sword hilt from a chest at the Maricai bay if you follow the beach first east and then north from the ship you will find the chest on a clif area

I got the King's Sword hilt from a chest at the Maricai bay if you follow the beach first east and then north from the ship you will find the chest on a clif area

You're right! I was now able to craft it. Seems there's simply a hilt too much in the game. I'll modify my post.

I bumped into another bug by the way: Maracai Bay main quest - if you get the quest to find blood for Corrientes, and then discover his true identity before talking to the shaman, the shaman won't give you the blood. In that case you can't go through the portal, and will be forced to deal with Garcia in the camp, which is crazy hard due to all the natives attacking you as well.

I solved it by using the Scepter of Power to get Garcia's guys to attack each other. For some reason using voodoo doesn't trigger a hostile reaction, so they basically killed each other without anyone thinking I was behind it.

I have no idea how to solve that situation if you don't have voodoo though, it seems like a game breaker, as taking on Garcia in the camp is suicidal. It might be possible to pull him away from the camp or some such thing.

It's not a game breaker - you can still solve Fire Temple quest.
The problem appears only if you choose not to kill the deserter so to avoid that completely, either kill the deserter or bring him to safety after you learn the truth from the shaman.

Not really a huge bug, but I've found areas where I can mountain-goat over large portions of the map. Ended up stuck in the fire-temple area goofing around that way (before I should have been there) so mountain goat at your own risk. Also, it's very very tedious and hard to find the small portions of normally impassible surfaces you can do this on if you face just the right way (compared to say Skyrim's relatively easy mountain-goating.) I don't think getting stuck should be a huge issue generally since you can fast travel.

Has anyone been able to successfully pull off a riposte during a sword duel? If so, how the hell do you do it?

It seems like you're supposed to quickly hit space bar immediately after parrying (whether you need to release the RMB or continue holding it down I don't know). I don't really think I ever have and if I have it hasn't been anything visible enough that I've been able to tell. It seems I pretty much just kick at best or, sometimes, the character briefly doesn't do anything when I think he should have been executing the riposte. I've tried executing it by hitting spacebar with the RMB still held down, with the RMB and LMB held down, I've tried tried it after making sure I've released either/both mouse buttons, and I've tried doing it when the prompt comes up as well as by anticipating it and hitting it earlier. No idea if any of those are actually how working or what.

It does look like I've had enemies pull of something that might be a riposte against me though - espescially those tedious undead native warrios in that one island.

It's not a game breaker - you can still solve Fire Temple quest.
The problem appears only if you choose not to kill the deserter so to avoid that completely, either kill the deserter or bring him to safety after you learn the truth from the shaman.

Haha yeah that's one of those instances where your character appears to act inexplicably stupid. I walk into the place where he is and instead of having any sort of chance to deceive him or saying anything else, my character blurts out the functional equivalent of "I've found you and the only way to stop me is to kill me" and then you're fighting there and then and if you're unlucky half a dozen people you wanted to avoid fighting.

It seems like you're supposed to quickly hit space bar immediately after parrying (whether you need to release the RMB or continue holding it down I don't know). I don't really think I ever have and if I have it hasn't been anything visible enough that I've been able to tell. It seems I pretty much just kick at best or, sometimes, the character briefly doesn't do anything when I think he should have been executing the riposte. I've tried executing it by hitting spacebar with the RMB still held down, with the RMB and LMB held down, I've tried tried it after making sure I've released either/both mouse buttons, and I've tried doing it when the prompt comes up as well as by anticipating it and hitting it earlier. No idea if any of those are actually how working or what.

Yeah, it would have been nice if PB had included some kind of in-game explanation before I wasted 1000 gold on it. :-/

Block followed hastily by the space key. At first you will be kicking a lot, but when you get the hang of it you'll find it well worth the gold. I find blocking much harder than riposte.

The "Monkey Trainer" bug is not a bug per say. You're practically buying the monkey and not the skill to train monkeys.

A real bug I've found is that DoF (Depth of field or simply that blurry thing in the background) keeps engaging even though it's specifically turned off in the menu. More often than not I have to turn it on and off again to get rid of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom