Iceblink Engine (Gold Box style games!)

Thanks for giving it a go and for the feedback, Mustawd!
1. For some reason there were times where spells don't seem to be working at all. It's hard to know because when it happens it doesn't register on the log. It's almost as if the action was not taken. I noticed it when trying to heal an unconscious party member with a cleric spell as well as when I tried to cast Sleep on the Ogre (giant?) monster in the cave in the first map. He could be resistant, but the spell itself or the result didn't appear on the log at all.

Are you playing the latest version of the mod on the latest Iceblink? The spells were largely not working on the version I put out in December, but I think the updates have largely sorted it since then. There may still be some of them not working though. I'll double check Sleep, but I think that was one of the ones that got fixed in the toolkit update.

2. I came across a dialogue option when meeting the druid that had no conclusion. It just ended. There was no way to exit out of the dialogue screen at all. It just showed the response. Only option was to quit the app.

Ack, sorry that sounds very annoying. And definitely my fault! It will be a hanging line of dialogue, I'll have a look and fix it.

EDIT: ack, found it. Thanks. Now fixed. I'm uploading a new version to the NWN Vault.

3. Does the module have sound? Slowdive mentioned the app has it, but I didn't hear any at all in your module.

Very little, but some ambient sounds. I think the engine currently has sound switched off by default (something they are going to change), one of the icons should turn it on. Its just some forest / cave ambient sounds though on this one.

4. When you come across something on a map, the yellow text descriptions sometimes gets cut off by the App UI.

That's annoying. I've only played it on the PC so far, where that wasn't a problem. I'll let Slowdive know so he can look into it.

In terms of bugs, the best place to report them is on the Iceblink forum:
http://www.iceblinkengine.com/forums/
I've posted your comments on the android version there so we can improve it.

Last edited:
What is Realmz?

Mustawd, you don't know Realmz?! Oh boy. Basically, it's an old CRPG/Mac RPG that is similar in style to the IceBlink engine. Features turn-based combat, very extensive D&D-style character/party creation and a bunch of modules made by the developers that you can carry a single party through and complete them all. It's real nice.

I made a video on my channel years back for it if you want to take a peek. The video is very poor quality and I apologize for that, but this was before I really took quality into higher consideration. But you may learn a bit about the game nonetheless with it. :)

Also, I think it just needs to get to a place where there's more polish before IB takes off. One of those things being some quality of life things to make it easier on player's and the other just means better art and effects.

I agree, more polish would be great. The UI isn't bad. I was getting used to it rather quickly, but there are a few little things I would change or upgrade, of course. I couldn't figure out how to move the map downwards during combat while zoomed in, for example. And is there any way to center the map on a character in combat? Otherwise it wasn't bad at all and I really like the overall package. Definitely reminds me of Realmz. I just let my Google Play Music playlist play in the background while playing and it was quite enjoyable. :)

And Pongo, love the module, bro! I like the writing and it's old-school D&D flavor. Fun stuff so far. Certainly something I would play a lot on Android, and in general we need way more of this stuff! Not only on Android but PC, too. Going to play more next time I'm on my tablet.

Thanks Fluent! The engine is still being improved, and there are definitely things that could be added or polished. Keep the ideas comin' :) I'll post them back on the Iceblink forum.

Fine to see you guys discuss and try IB here:).

It's polished and refined continously all the time (IBMini for Android mainly and IB2 beta for pc). We will get there - up until then, keep the feedback coming, please.

Mustawd, you don't know Realmz?! Oh boy. Basically, it's an old CRPG/Mac RPG that is similar in style to the IceBlink engine. Features turn-based combat, very extensive D&D-style character/party creation and a bunch of modules made by the developers that you can carry a single party through and complete them all. It's real nice.

I made a video on my channel years back for it if you want to take a peek. The video is very poor quality and I apologize for that, but this was before I really took quality into higher consideration. But you may learn a bit about the game nonetheless with it. :)

Realmz looks like the shit. Thanks for linking that.

No problem. Realmz is great. The character creation alone is outstanding and better than many RPGs since. I've been hoping the original creator would Kickstart a remake or something but apparently he can't be found, lives somewhere in Florida or something.

Realmz looks very cool indeed - the closest to IB I have seen yet. Many thanks for pointing to it, feels inspiring to see how it is setup. Considering we are 20 years later it feels very humbling and even more impressive to see what it achieves.

It has been years since I looked at Realmz. I think I'm still subscribed to the emails but haven't really kept up with it since they never upgraded the engine to keep with the times.

Realmz looks very cool indeed - the closest to IB I have seen yet. Many thanks for pointing to it, feels inspiring to see how it is setup. Considering we are 20 years later it feels very humbling and even more impressive to see what it achieves.

No problem. If you guys get inspired by Realmz all the better! I'm excited for IB because it reminds me a lot of Realmz, and if modules can be created and ran like they were in Realmz, i.e. start at level 1 and take your party through 10+ modules, that would be incredible, IMO.

I will consider doing an LP of the IB module Mustwad suggested sometime. Seems pretty interesting.

No problem. If you guys get inspired by Realmz all the better! I'm excited for IB because it reminds me a lot of Realmz, and if modules can be created and ran like they were in Realmz, i.e. start at level 1 and take your party through 10+ modules, that would be incredible, IMO.

Absolutely, you can do that. Characters can be transferred from module to module. Basically there's a character roster and you can copy your heroes from old adventures just into the folder that the new adventure draws characters from.

Or an author can extend an existing campaign via expansions (well, updates to amke it soudn less dramatic). These expansions/updates just add in content, so your characters can continue where you left them last time. An ever growing campaign is possible this way. Hearkenwold uses this campaign structure already skillfully.

I will consider doing an LP of the IB module Mustwad suggested sometime. Seems pretty interesting.

All LP are very welcome -> will be fun to watch:).

Sounds good. Once more modules get made and characters can be imported and what not, that should really make things even better! The base game of Realmz I believe had 12-18 or so "official" modules for a single party. That is, the base game not counting other people's modules let you run all those with the same party. Good stuff. :)

The LP for the IceBlink module will be the next LP I tackle. It's going to be awhile as I'm busy with a few others but when I start it I'll post here and let you guys know! :)

I just realized that I didn't link my (terrible :p) Raventhal video that I made awhile back! Feel free to check it out - it's a quick overview of the 'The Raventhal' module that I played on Android.

Since we are chatting about Realmz, I'm curious if anyone has thought of creating some sort of ruleset specifically for the IB games? Of course, it seems anyone can create their own ruleset for their modules, but it might be neat if someone created some sort of overarching ruleset that could be used as well if someone chooses. I mention Realmz here because I love how that game has so many races, for one, as well as classes and a ton of pen-and-paper style stat advantages and disadvantages. It would be cool if there were a modern ruleset made in a similar fashion and that could be imported when someone makes their own module, sort of like an edition of IceBlink Dungeons & Dragons or something. :) Just a thought. Do you know what I mean?

It might also help more modules get made, since creators wouldn't have to create their own rulesets each time. Or is there something like this made already that I'm oblivious to? That is a possibility. :p

Since we are chatting about Realmz, I'm curious if anyone has thought of creating some sort of ruleset specifically for the IB games? …. It would be cool if there were a modern ruleset made in a similar fashion and that could be imported when someone makes their own module, sort of like an edition of IceBlink Dungeons & Dragons or something. :) Just a thought. Do you know what I mean?

It might also help more modules get made, since creators wouldn't have to create their own rulesets each time. Or is there something like this made already that I'm oblivious to? That is a possibility. :p

Well it's open source, so anyone with the skills can modify the code and put it on Github as a XYZ Version of IB. Of course you'll need programming skills, which not all of us have . I've thought about the same for D&D 3.5, but I don't have the faintest clue about scripting, programming, or github.

More than likely it'd have to be a module dev who would create it for their own module first, unless there are programmers out there willing to do it just to make it available. Seeing that the only two programmers (if I'm getting the number right) are working on both the IB2 engine and IBmini, as well as squashing bugs, I wouldn't hold my breath for them to be able to handle such a project.

Good thing is that the possibility is there if you have the know how and time to invest in doing it.

Must check the Raventhal playthrough later - Raventhal is a very entertaining, creative and clever module, I enjoyed it tremendously.

Yes, two programmers right now. Well, actually it's one main programmer (Slowdive), who has created the whole thing, and one tinkerer (me). Slowdive is focused on IBMini right now (think Android, though it works on pc, too), while I fiddle with IB2 for pc, adding bugs and features in equal amounts :).

A core ruleset - with premade spells, creatures, items, races, classes, etc. - as default is indeed part of the project (in the long run). Authors can then do a complete revamp easily or just change particular details. The engine and toolset come with a least one module as template to create new modules from. This template can hold the core rule set. It is rather barebone right now but I think it will grow over time - and if for testing higher level engine functionalities alone ;-).

Sounds great, youngneil1. Looking forward to see how the ruleset develops.

You and slowdive are doing good work youngneil o7.

I do share fluent's wish for different types of rulesets, so look forward to the implementations you mentioned.

Thank you, guys.

We will keep it growing. As it's a hobby project there will be phases of quick growth and then slower ones, where RL interferes more. It is a part of my daily routines during the week to code for IB while commuting to work (adding up to two hours each workday). One might think that it is hard to code in a rather full subway line (and sometimes it is), but overall I think the lack - or at least harder accessibility - of other fun distratctions (e.g. family, friends, other games, TV) actually even helps me focus. Also there's a very strong routine drive as I obviously have to travel to work - and this I connect with the "coding for IB" process. It kinda grows on me this way, like brushing teeth or the coffee I fetch me each morning. A fine and beloved habit.

Hmmm, you were youngneil for Two Worlds, I'll have to think of you as notsoyoungneil now, sorry ;)

Back
Top Bottom